Overeducated sports writers log

version

I agree with Rich re: Malick. I like Badlands and bits of The Thin Red Line, but I'm never in the mood to watch them and The Tree of Life really tested my patience. He's as much a parody of himself as Herzog is at this point, just without the awareness and humour.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I agree with Rich re: Malick. I like Badlands and bits of The Thin Red Line, but I'm never in the mood to watch them and The Tree of Life really tested my patience. He's as much a parody of himself as Herzog is at this point, just without the awareness and humour.
Yeah Tree of Life doesn't even get hold of you enough to bore.
As for cinematography; yeah it's fine but you really think Tarkovsky, Paradjanov, German etc don't come close?

sus

Yeah there are two stances with Malick, which are yours, and then that Badlands kinda sucks and Days of Heaven is him starting to figure it out and everything gets better from there. Then, if you're soft, you opt out with his American decadence films, rather than doubling down on them.

sus

Tree of Life is a mixed-bag I'll admit, but most of the objections seem like "boring," I dunno man maybe go smoke a joint?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Tree of Life is a mixed-bag I'll admit, but most of the objections seem like "boring," I dunno man maybe go smoke a joint?
It's so empty though... on the surface it looks like Tarkovsky but it really aint.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I've seen like every one of these cuts in a million movies before, their movement is exactly what you'd expect. There's no sensibility, no energy, just movement.
No way. Zulawski no energy? I've NEVER heard anyone say that. Cos it would be silly.
Lots of it done without a rail, just the camera operator with an amazingly steady hand.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
but I cannot believe anyone would seriously defend The New World
I hesitated to include it with his first three because, as I said, it's where he begins to tip into self-parody

but it's also a strange and deeply beautiful film that is really like nothing else

the images will always be there in a Malick film - the opening and closing montages, Smith wading around in swamp in his armor, etc

but it's really Pocahontas that gives its emotional heft - the shift to her in its second half is crucial

I could do without yet another romanticization of her relationship with John Smith

but Malick properly situates her as a key liminal figure, both literally and symbolically, in American history

I can think of very few, if any, other films, that do as much to convey that sense of the alien, of otherness

some of it comes across ridiculous, heavy-handed but it's a tone poem, you kind of just have to go with it. it's very easy to laugh at things

• Love
Reactions: sus

padraig (u.s.)

one can really think of his first four films as both tapping into and deconstructing the myth of America as boundless land of endless opportunities

Badlands and Days of Heaven are obvious

The Thin Red Line is a based on a (great) novel by a WWII veteran that deconstructs unreflexive mythmaking i.e. Saving Private Ryan

The New World
is an earlier version of that myth, America as prelapsarian Eden, a more naive but also rapacious myth

there's the literal, heavy-handed deconstruction - colonists starving as they dig for gold and so on

Pocahontas is the more ambiguous deconstruction of what American identity is, as the reality of a land is itself ambiguous and always changing

padraig (u.s.)

of course if someone thinks its boring and terrible, that's fine

but I'm also not cowed by your amazement that someone should disagree with you, Rich

luka

Have you seen the films?

Suspended Reason is 19 years old. He hasn't had time to watch many films so go easy on the lad. Our job is to build him up and educate him not to tear him down. We are his wise tutors and mentors.

IdleRich

IdleRich
In fairness, I can't remember why I hated the New World so much, I merely remember the sort of cringey embarrassed feeling I got for everyone involved. I don't think I made it to the end which is extremely rare for me unless actually interrupted. But I can't really offer much of a considered criticism.
The later ones I've seen more recently, such as Tree of Life, I hate because on the surface they seem so much like all the stuff I like, but with nothing else there. A kind of music video that thinks it's Tarkovsky and thus ultimately fails even as a video of pretty pictures. I read the reviews of everyone saying how boring they are and I think "philistines" and then I watch them and I have to admit that the critics aren't philistines at all, they're just really boring films.