padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
idk but I've gotten that impression over the years (sorry if I'm mischaracterizing you slothrop)

and I just mean someone who has actual training/has worked in, or at least has a truly deep self-taught knowledge of the field

I love painting etc but I just don't know it like I do music

padraig (u.s.)

I am 100% not a real art person.
my apologies, as stated

I didn't mean it to sound derogatory (kinda in the same way "conceptronica" does in fact)

I just seemed to remember you discussing the fine arts or modern art or whatever like you actually knew what the hell you were talking about

padraig (u.s.)

I would 100% both buy and wear an "I am 100% not a real art person"

actually that should probably be the first design when we start our world-conquering Dissensus T-shirt line

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
my apologies, as stated
No offence taken, but I'm pretty sure you're thinking of someone else.

On the roots of conceptronica, I guess the Velvets are the ultimate antecedent - literally Warhol proteges. And maybe the No Wave scene? Or is that a situation where the art crowd that the music was associated with was itself non-institutional / outsider / broke, and hence a different thing?

version

On the roots of conceptronica, I guess the Velvets are the ultimate antecedent - literally Warhol proteges. And maybe the No Wave scene? Or is that a situation where the art crowd that the music was associated with was itself non-institutional / outsider / broke, and hence a different thing?

What about TG?

padraig (u.s.)

the Velvets are the ultimate antecedent - literally Warhol proteges. And maybe the No Wave scene?
Velvets are a good shout, albeit they had an antagonistic relationship with Warhol, more a kind of mutual exploitation

better yet would I think be their forerunners in the NYC avant world

both direct - La Monte Young (whence John Cale), and indirect - the entire Fluxus scene, Joseph Beuys, Nam June Paik, etc

which brings you back to John Cage

and further back to possibly the original conceptronica - the modernists

specifically Luigi Russolo and the Art of Noises

version

Drexciya is definitely the benchmark for me because the music is brilliant regardless, but the mythology genuinely expands on what you're hearing and gives it some weight. It doesn't feel tacked on or disingenuous.

padraig (u.s.)

Duchamp, definitely. Fountain is prime conceptronica avant la lettre.

Dali, especially if you ever seen clips of him doing performative Dali in interviews and on game shows

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Guess Bowie needs a mention with his range of personas spread across several albums.

I think Bowie and the KLF cover the high-concept half the equation, but they both pretty much punted themselves directly to music-focused audiences. They both had an art / high concept angle, but they weren't dependent on the art world for sustenance. (This roughly applies to Drexciya, too, AFAIK.)

padraig (u.s.)

it seems like conceptronica can't predate modernism tho?

conceptronica requires both sufficient density of academic theory and the infrastructure of a largely self-contained "art world" contained by but differentiated from art in general

which to my (possibly incorrect) understanding, comes in largely with modernism

partially as a reaction to art in general becoming more accessible to the masses throughout the latter half of the 19th century

padraig (u.s.)

Brian Eno definitely

art background, high concept, has always dabbled in other media - including installation art - and multimedia projects

in fact he has a pretty solid claim as the father of modern conceptronica

padraig (u.s.)

they weren't dependent on the art world for sustenance
this is why I think we'd be much better off looking for antecedents in fine art, where artists are by definition dependent on the art world for sustenance

until recently there were multiple better financial strategies in music, so it's only recently that musicians have started looking to the art world in that way

I'd bet almost all the musical examples you'll find in the pre-streaming/downloading era would be classically trained composers in the academic/art world

Last edited: