shakahislop

yeah he's not a great writer.

i liked this bit:

The downtown scene’s tendency to practice scapegoating and humiliation rituals, while making (and monetizing) sensationalistic and taboo-breaking political claims, allow us what to see what’s written in invisible ideological ink, what’s inscribed in the logic of our own civilization: moral numbness and apathy towards the inflicting of pain. I will go further: The mimetic violence of downtown discourse—the denunciations, the trollings, the doxxings, the terroristic threats—that is manifest in the way people talk to, and more often, about one another, presages real political conflict in the future.

he claims that the rest of america will follow what's gone on in his scence, because it's influential, and i guess because that's what's happened with NYC scenes before. that would be the only reason that any of this matters. he seems to think that it does.

Reactions: sus

IdleRich

IdleRich
he claims that the rest of america will follow what's gone on in his scence, because it's influential, and i guess because that's what's happened with NYC scenes before. that would be the only reason that any of this matters. he seems to think that it does.

Dissensus is kinda for whatever reason.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I mean that dissensus is following the scene, whether reluctantly or perhaps protesting too much, it is doing so. And so I can believe the rest of the world, or certain elements of it, might well do too.

I can't imagine anything emerged from dissensus into the world as such... well, I mean there are books and stuff so let me think about it. It wasn't what I saying is what I'm getting at here.

shakahislop

I mean that dissensus is following the scene, whether reluctantly or perhaps protesting too much, it is doing so. And so I can believe the rest of the world, or certain elements of it, might well do too.

I can't imagine anything emerged from dissensus into the world as such... well, I mean there are books and stuff so let me think about it. It wasn't what I saying is what I'm getting at here.
yeah, right, i misunderstood you first time. we are following it.

IdleRich

IdleRich
While pretending that we hate it...

I did think that that is what you thought though. But to answer your question, I think it be pretty arrogant to say that some sort of dissensian idea was literally propagated from here and went out into the world. There may have been times when a hot topic was being discussed and we were kinda in parallel with other discussions and we came to what came to be the general conclusion so it could sort of feel like it originated here, but I doubt anything really came from here in that way. And, just imagine for argument's sake something did emerge like that, how on earth could it be proven.

So... from the forum I say "no". But you could say that books by K-punk, Dan Hancox, Barty went into something like the mainstream to a greater or lesset extent. The question is, did dissensus create those ideas - to which the answer is pretty much, also "no". But, I would say that those authors tested some or all of their ideas here to a greater or lesser extent and perhaps tinkered with them a bit, tested them a bit more etc

So, from dissensus -> mainstream not so much, but dissensus may have helped with the honing and shaping of some ideas that went mainstream-ish. That's the best I can come up with.

Unless someone would argue, say, K-Punk was on dissensus and K-Punk created the concept of Capitalist Realism or whatever, thus CR came from dissensus.

That specific argument may be totally factually wrong cos I don't know the timeline - but what I mean is, someone's could make that argument for any author x and their concept y who was on dissensus. Though I think that would be going too far.

sus

I think some of the relevant concepts here are avant-gardes and trend adoption cycles

How much do people early to X actually change X's eventual popularization? Or are they just a canary in the coal mine?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah that also. Ideas whose time has come kinda thing was what I was trying to get at. You're talking about something, then suddenly so is everyone... but is it cos of you? You might feel that way and believe it to be true but that doesn't mean it is.

shakahislop

there's a really, really boring and long article about turkish politics in the issue i'm reading. and about fifteen pages given to some writer exploring his beef with the guy who wrote hillbilly elegy, just slagging him off in every way he can think of, which sounds like it might be good but it isn't

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
there's a really, really boring and long article about turkish politics in the issue i'm reading. and about fifteen pages given to some writer exploring his beef with the guy who wrote hillbilly elegy, just slagging him off in every way he can think of, which sounds like it might be good but it isn't
I listened to the audiobook of that maybe five or six years ago. Its about economic struggles in Appalachia.

sus

Is it politically correct to call them hillbillies? Why are they are addicted to drugs? Where can I buy cheap land in the Blue Mountains? How can you prepare trailer meth with OTC ingredients?

shakahislop

on the coastal elite culture mafia: i watched about 15 minutes of a documentary about the capitol riot thing last night. it was made by nancy pelsoi's daughter and it's pretty good, the bit i saw is just her going to interview people who got jail time for being part of the storming of the capitol, after they got out. she is being a total dick to them, really some of the least neutral interviewing i've seen on a doc like that, and all the rioters seem a bit vulnerable but alright. her contempt for them shines through.

the people the documentary is about, who the doc is trying to make fun of and paint as stupid and bad people, came across as more relatable and a lot nicer than the documentary maker