Types of Contemporary Guru.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
As much as I laugh at and scorn this stuff I actually wish I could follow this advice and become a really disciplined person.

Instead I watch videos about being a really disciplined person and wank.

luka

As much as I laugh at and scorn this stuff I actually wish I could follow this advice and become a really disciplined person.

Instead I watch videos about being a really disciplined person and wank.

That's exactly how they get their money

luka

And that cycle mapped onto societies and civilisations as well as the individual

luka

And why there was so much glee and rejoicing when Peterson turned out to be a junkie fuck up. He hadn't solved the problem. He hadn't escaped. He was just riding roughshod over it with massive amounts of drugs.

luka

First one is the gaunt drawn bearded ascetic.
Ralph is the good vibes radiant smile beatific
Goggins is the bullying drill sergeant tough love you miserable worm get down and give me 10
Peterson is surrogate dad

sus

I've always felt like there were 2 kinds of gurus—gurus of purity & gurus of power. Out of the world or into the world. Striving vs stoicism.

sus

Maybe you could add an epistemological dimension, make it a 2x2: striving vs. stoicism, on the y-axis, and rationalism vs. pragmatism/localism on the x.

Trying to convert the world into pure light, a perfect theological system, or else deal with it in its messy nebulosity, take it as it comes, mind the details that matter and ignore the ones that don't.

That pragmatism, in modernity, being best exemplified by the 19th & early 20th C American spirit—puritan productivity as debugged by pioneer utilitarianism, where civilization hits frontier

Last edited:

linebaugh

Has the guru always been such a popular rap trope? It dominates the genre. And even those that arent explicitly dawning the guru mythos take up an angle of self improvement and therapy with their music- music for expressing your self, catharsis, motivation and etc.