Types of Contemporary Guru.

sus

Society as a programming coding problem
My man, cognition is a coding problem. What is debugging except abstract knowledge as it makes contact with ground—the bearer of theoretical knowledge forced by reality to update

sus

Neither neurosis nor fanaticism last long on contact with survival bottlenecks. Vestigial ritual is stripped; only muscle stays on bone.

luka

My man, cognition is a coding problem. What is debugging except abstract knowledge as it makes contact with ground—the bearer of theoretical knowledge forced by reality to update

I'm not criticising the metaphor. Me and shiels are collecting them, that's all.

luka

Has the guru always been such a popular rap trope? It dominates the genre. And even those that arent explicitly dawning the guru mythos take up an angle of self improvement and therapy with their music- music for expressing your self, catharsis, motivation and etc.

Does it? How are you surveying the genre? As far as I can tell it doesn't have a centre any more. It seems radically dispersed into a thousand local scenes and micro-scenes. The guru stuff has always been there in a sense. Dropping jewels dropping science, particularly in relation to the NOI and 5% stuff. Poor Righteous Teachers. But also street knowledge.

sus

Just in the abstract, not, you know, saying this one is, or would ever, matter to me or impact me in any way whatsoever

linebaugh

Does it? How are you surveying the genre? As far as I can tell it doesn't have a centre any more. It seems radically dispersed into a thousand local scenes and micro-scenes. The guru stuff has always been there in a sense. Dropping jewels dropping science, particularly in relation to the NOI and 5% stuff. Poor Righteous Teachers. But also street knowledge.
just a few years ago the most popular artists in the genre- kanye, kendrick, J cole- were all playing up a guru image. Two of the more covered rap albums just released -rico nastys and megan thee stallion- aren't gurus but make self improvement/therapy a major part of their branding. the more traditionally hedonistic sub genres like trap get infiltrated by a self improvement strain thats different from the usual street knowledge with the post-xxxtentacion rappers. Rap as a whole may dispersed but I think what Im saying holds true with the music that gets pushed to audiences outside the traditional rap listenership.

Last edited:

version

It's part of seeing yourself as an investment. You're encouraged to do yourself up like you would a house. Add new features. Increase your value.

wild greens

I have been watching that documentary The Vow on Sky recently and the genius guru at the heart of it (XVIXM? something like that) basically just leveraged the fact that every deluded sadsack in there believed he had a 16999 IQ in order to form a secretive sex cult. He branded the girls nether regions too

So you have to be weary of these lads. one day you're watching YouTube masterclasses the next you're getting bummed round the back of the tate

It is great the way they've been able to leverage these mediums to their advantage though. I've met people in work who have tried to talk to me about Jordan Peterson and that - would Essex wide boys be into a conceptual self-help fella if it wasn't for youtube probably not

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
2E5CA8C7-A16B-4FEB-84D1-974551C6363E.jpeg

Jocko ‘back to the book’ Willink cracks me up. The clips I’ve seen, unreal. You’d think running through lead was good. 5 hours sleep is a luxury, JW. One section he describes being out somewhere with his son, encountering a drunk and outlining their options with him. The conclusion was a choke out due to blood-born disease, no hyper vigilance there, no sir.

These old military war lords running management schemes for business, his inner circle must be a snake pit of competitors vying for attention. The fetishisation of it all is plain weird, same reason I’m surprised a terrorist event hasn’t gone down in Hereford.

version

index.php

Jocko ‘back to the book’ Willink cracks me up. The clips I’ve seen, unreal. You’d think running through lead was good. 5 hours sleep is a luxury, JW. One section he describes being out somewhere with his son, encountering a drunk and outlining their options with him. The conclusion was a choke out due to blood-born disease, no hyper vigilance there, no sir.

These old military war lords running management schemes for business, his inner circle must be a snake pit of competitors vying for attention. The fetishisation of it all is plain weird, same reason I’m surprised a terrorist event hasn’t gone down in Hereford.
He's such a knob. So self-important. He did a TED Talk called "Extreme Ownership" where he walks around the stage saying shit like "WAR. IS. HELL. But war is also a great teacher."

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I've forgotten the name of that tall guy with the big jaw who gets people to walk on hot embers.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Not sure this is a guru thing but you get these guys on youtube talking about their experiences in jail/doing crime. Probably a lot of people watching it are like me and are just interested in hearing what that's like.

Reactions: sus