0bleak

Tell us about native 0gf, trips to the rez, storytime!

well, more than gf - also wife for a few years
I'm not sure how comfortable she would be with me talking very much about various things involving her, her people or her tribe, but we basically got together through our shared interest in rhythmic noise and various encounters through that (shows and club events) and eventually through Converter's wife having her come sit with me one time at a club night when I was new there.
She is also really into music, in general, (she also worked at Tower for years until they bankrupt and closed in 2006) so I also got exposed to some of whatever current indie music was hip at the time.
Thirdform's post about The Postal Service in another thread reminded of the beginning of that time period.
oh, she also just told me that when she worked at Tower that they would put Native American and Hawaiian music kind of near folk music but that was because it was a general misc. section, and, for some reason, she kind of laughed when I asked her if she considered her people's music to be folk music although I was thinking that is maybe because people don't always call the music of their own people, folk music. That would probably be kind of weird, I guess.

0bleak

I will say that if you've ever seen the show Rez Dogs, that is a little similar in feel and (some of) the culture on her rez in the way people have their own way of doing some things, their own way of pronouncing certain things and their own slang, their own way of laughing and carrying on, their own kind of arts, traditions, ways for the tribe to make money, etc.
Native American people also sometimes just say or write NDN in reference to themselves instead of Native American.
i guess it's because NDN sounds like both a way of saying Indian and the first part of the word indigenous.

Reactions: sus

sus

What did you make of it? How did the culture feel distinct or continuous with the west? Did you miss or appreciate things?

0bleak

Also, I hate burning sage, it gives me headaches and migraines, so maybe we should have taken that as a sign in the beginning.

0bleak

What did you make of it? How did the culture feel distinct or continuous with the west? Did you miss or appreciate things?

The main thing that occurred to me was how isolated and barren the rez was and how did the govt that moved them there expect them to survive without help.
And actually, the first time I went there, they were doing some kind of annual (?) sacred (?) reenactment ritual(s) (?) of the forced relocation by doing some physical events and other things (it wasn't fully explained to me).

But, basically everything that is within the wider American culture is also around there through the way people usually dress, the music, tv shows, movies, etc. but you really had to travel like at least 45 minutes by car if you wanted to get anything besides what could be found at the small convenience store/gas station.
A lot of the people actually just live near the rez in that town like my ex does because it's a lot more convenient.

People should really watch the show Rez Dogs - it's very similar in some ways to how it is there and the people and the culture and mannerisms, etc.

OOHHHHHH - One thing that I learned is that Mormons (I'm guessing you've heard of this particular kind of Christianity) consider Native Americans to be like the lost tribe of Israel or some such thing, and that they were cursed by god for losing their way and that is why their skin is darker - and it wasn't until too long ago that some Native Americans got "adopted" out to Mormons and so some of her family also has Mormon connections - it's weird.

0bleak

Concerning the Native American influence on blues, I was interested in that so I briefly searched and found a couple of things:

In particular the film points to Charley Patton – “the father of the Delta blues” who’s believed to have Choctaw ancestry – as a key artist who melded traditional tribal rhythms with the then burgeoning blues. The scene in which Tuscarora/Taíno musician Pura Fé demonstrates the Native influence in Patton’s Down the Red Dirt Road will likely give you chills.

“That’s Indian music with a guitar,” Fé says, her eyes lighting up, “that’s where it went.”