thirdform

pass the sick bucket
This is great this all sounds right to me. A master stylist. He made a breakthrough a huge step in the "game" of folk music.

it's not folk music. Folk music is what americans call it to deflect from the fact that they are a nation of settlers. That isn't even a woke take, it's just facts.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
folk music is about peasants and getting shot by village inspectors and
landlords. It's not a genre. I don't mind Dylan but he's pop music, and you lot need to except it.

sus

it's not folk music. Folk music is what americans call it to deflect from the fact that they are a nation of settlers. That isn't even a woke take, it's just facts.
Yes I agree, I wrote a 30 page paper in uni on the subject, but also there is a legitimate blues&appalachia derived folk tradition in America, with peasant irish injections, that becomes a popular song tradition over the course of the 20th C, with 50s/60s Greenwich+Cambridge as important centers in these trajectories, and these were local/microtraditions in which Dylan made moves at first, and then on the national stage

0bleak

The 5 string banjo

"and they would have these square dances at night and have a good time - maybe one or two get killed, and then next week they would have another and maybe wouldn't but one get killed *laughs*"

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Yes I agree, I wrote a 30 page paper in uni on the subject, but also there is a legitimate blues&appalachia derived folk tradition in America, with peasant irish injections, that becomes a popular song tradition over the course of the 20th C, with 50s/60s Greenwich+Cambridge as important centers in these trajectories, and these were local/microtraditions in which Dylan made moves at first, and then on the national stage

I can agree with this. Bob Dylan is a folk tradition influenced pop artist.

But when people talk about american folk what they generally mean is Appalachian music or blues, rather than native american folk music, which is actually the agrarian folk form of the US.

0bleak

I can agree with this. Bob Dylan is a folk tradition influenced pop artist.

But when people talk about american folk what they generally mean is Appalachian music or blues, rather than native american folk music, which is actually the agrarian folk form of the US.

I guess this is true, but I also can't remember my ex or her family or anyone on her rez or anyone we met at pow wows calling it folk music.