Sun Ra

linebaugh

Dead, but apparently the Arkestra is still making music. Released an album late last year.

I think this rendition of Rocket No. 9 is really strong. really like the bit that starts with the electric guitar at the 1:50 mark

john eden

male pale and stale
The Arkestra live is truly a thing to behold. Never saw them with Sun Ra though, for shame.

luka

luka

Me too. Although he's one of those figures where the music is less potent than the myth.

linebaugh

Most of the time his project misses me, but its a far out aim so all the more exiting when it lands.

The piano intro to this is my favourite- nonsense for most of its go but still maintains a vivid arch and composition

DannyL

Wild Horses
I think I've seen The Arkestra about 4 times now. Maybe 5? They're fucking brilliant. I had to Google and check but Marshall Allan is still alive, 96 years old! He was leading them all the times I've seen them play, and he's still on the fags. You can catch him between sets having one outside. There's something about a big band with loads of brass live that's incredible, especially when they trade between dissonant noise and the more throwback big band jazz moves (has a pre-war feel to me).

When I first saw them, they felt like a real throwback to a lost era - the 60s, radicalism and communal living, black power and so on. But weirdly, to me it seems like that moment has come back around again. Not just with BLM and the protests against George Floyd's murder but in music. Artists like Angele Bat Dawid, Damon Lock, Matana Roberts - all of them owe a direct debt to Ra. That the Arkestra have simply just kept on trucking has directly contributed to this, I'm sure. All the above must've seen them live.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
One of the few artists of the 20th century who, when this sort of question arises, can only be explored through thoroughness.

When I were a lad we dint have discogs or fancy t’internet. You had to graft. Helped to have Dad Jazz on side. So save yourself the trouble, troll discogs and do it all chronologically - be-bop, swing, the trippy drift into space, but most of all have fun and enjoy it. Space the listening out, because you’ll find so many good compositions and performances out there, you could find yourself in deep.

A very rare bird indeed.

version

I'm pretty boring when it comes to Sun Ra. I like him on paper, but I only really listen to Lanquidity. I've always loved the title and cover of The Magic City, but I can never be arsed to listen to the whole thing.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Yeah I was planning on seeing them at the art institute while I was in Chicago, but I just got confused about where to go and I gave up.

catalog

Decent one page comic from Harvey Pekar and Joe Sacco here

pekar-sun-ra-joe-sacco.jpg

forclosure

I think I've seen The Arkestra about 4 times now. Maybe 5? They're fucking brilliant. I had to Google and check but Marshall Allan is still alive, 96 years old! He was leading them all the times I've seen them play, and he's still on the fags. You can catch him between sets having one outside. There's something about a big band with loads of brass live that's incredible, especially when they trade between dissonant noise and the more throwback big band jazz moves (has a pre-war feel to me).

When I first saw them, they felt like a real throwback to a lost era - the 60s, radicalism and communal living, black power and so on. But weirdly, to me it seems like that moment has come back around again. Not just with BLM and the protests against George Floyd's murder but in music. Artists like Angele Bat Dawid, Damon Lock, Matana Roberts - all of them owe a direct debt to Ra. That the Arkestra have simply just kept on trucking has directly contributed to this, I'm sure. All the above must've seen them live.
it's funny you bring up Matana Roberts cause she's a member (and one time chair person) of the AACM whose whole operation while influenced by Ra was doing something else entirely.

Don't know if you've read George Lewis's A Power Stronger than Itself but i highly reccomend it, great book

forclosure

i've only seen the Arkestra once would love to see them again but all the times have been at bad oppertunities they did an amazing cover of Stardust when i saw them