come discuss something on /mu/ with me real quick

Ok I’ll have a listen and get back to you. Can you please remove those three quotes from your signature? I don’t like clutter. See it is a trade off

luka

i dont beleive in that. i think i can talk about anything without having to actually touch it. so long as ive got an idea of what it is.

mvuent

Void Dweller
i was actually going to do that longform this weekend. which means that by 3:00 AM on monday i'll have a single short, awkwardly worded paragraph to show you.

mvuent

Void Dweller
well you might not like this but i feel a lot of discussion around it is too "writerly" i.e. focuses on the music as conveying a thesis--rather than as providing an experience that's desirable in it's own right. not that those ways of thinking aren't related, but the latter's always been more the appeal for me.

mvuent

Void Dweller
you don't, and wasn't talking about what you said earlier btw. it's a matter of which is serving the other. does the experience exist to prove a thesis, or does the thesis exist to unlock the experience?

luka

well other_life is very unhappy with all of us. you have to redeem the forum for us. its all resting on your shoulders.

mvuent

Void Dweller
sometimes feel that people writing about this stuff (and other forms of weird music) will adopt this attitude of "yeah, it's bad for x reason... but it's actually really clever, because that's the point!" i.e. "it's boring, souless elevator music no one could enjoy listening to, but that's good because it reveals the vacuousness of life under late capitalism!" and that's just never a very satisfying explanation/justification for art imo. imo it should be about what qualities are actually there to appreciate.

but I would argue that in terms of innovation, futurism ... what’s there? It’s quaint. It’s beautiful and evocative but it’s very consciously operating in a field of dreams memories reflections mediation. The whole point of it is to evoke a melancholic trap