Love Is Blind

linebaugh

what makes it interesting is that the first half of the show is a traditional finding-love game show and the second half is essentially reality tv, a different type of game. lots for @suspended to unpack here

Reactions: sus

linebaugh

the angles of influence- the structure of the game, the guiding hand of the producers, the earnest belief of the contestants and how they suppress doubt and sublimate their more shameful drives into whatever complexes they bring - its all perfectly tuned.

linebaugh

and all the contestants live in the same city. when the show ends it continues off screen- the show has already done two reunion episodes fueled by their unfilmed doings

linebaugh

the last of which was particularly unsettling. its a true blue reality TV show. And in that sense you see the contestants become producers themselves, carefully fabricating the structure of the moment rather than just being thrown into it. Everyone brings a new personal angle to the reunion platform

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Not to hijack this thread but

A few years ago I got into this show via a friend's girlfriend:

It's a genius show cos prior to it starting they all take some sort of test (you never find out what this test involves) to determine which of the other contestants is their "perfect match".

The group has to all get the perfect matches right to win the money after 10 weeks (or whatever it is). Inevitably, they get this wrong.

Every week one couple gets to go into the "TRUTH BOOTH" which "scans" them and tells them whether or not they're the perfect match. Which is great because sometimes they're utterly convinced they ARE the perfect match. This means that the couple instantly has to break up because if they stay together they're fucking up the money for everyone else – but sometimes they're adamant on sticking together, which enrages the others...

And plus everyone's really young, hot, plied with booze and blessed with numerous personality flaws.

linebaugh

Not to hijack this thread but

A few years ago I got into this show via a friend's girlfriend:

It's a genius show cos prior to it starting they all take some sort of test (you never find out what this test involves) to determine which of the other contestants is their "perfect match".

The group has to all get the perfect matches right to win the money after 10 weeks (or whatever it is). Inevitably, they get this wrong.

Every week one couple gets to go into the "TRUTH BOOTH" which "scans" them and tells them whether or not they're the perfect match. Which is great because sometimes they're utterly convinced they ARE the perfect match. This means that the couple instantly has to break up because if they stay together they're fucking up the money for everyone else – but sometimes they're adamant on sticking together, which enrages the others...

And plus everyone's really young, hot, plied with booze and blessed with numerous personality flaws.
after watching love is blind I watched a few other reality TV/ game shows and most of them are bad. This is the only other I enjoyed. its all about towing that line between coercion and willful participation. Out right manipulation breaks the fourth wall (and makes you feel gross watching) but stability is boring.

william_kent

In the UK we had this groundbreaking TV Show, Naked Attraction

The potential dates are all naked

Their bodies and faces are gradually revealed through successive rounds, from the feet up. At each round, the chooser eliminates one naked person until only two are left, when the chooser also takes off their clothes to make the final choice

Penis not up to scratch? Eliminated...

linebaugh

Its a rude goldberg of psyches. the machinery is vast and precision tuned, but its the journey of the ball thats center focus.

linebaugh

its boring if the shape and route taken is plain but if its too ambitious and the creator has to stick his hand in to restart the sequence its no fun either.

linebaugh

its boring if the shape and route taken is plain but if its too ambitious and the creator has to stick his hand in to restart the sequence its no fun either.

like this show. its clear the show was expecting its over the top sexuality to carry it but if you watch it in the urbane and sophisticated manner I do its boring. The producers realized that too. The contestants had become comftorbale in the machine and suddenly the producers brought in all new arbitrary rules and adjustments midway through the season to spice it up. Sloppy work. thumbs down.

• Haha

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
What I found interesting with Love Island (and some other shows like this) is that you start off hating every single contestant and watching it in order to hate them, but after a few episodes you start becoming more sympathetic towards certain contestants, you start liking some of them in spite of yourself... It's interesting cos Love Island is associated with contestants killing themselves, it's quite a toxic show, and of course highbrows look down at it from 30,000 feet. But it's got real value to it AFAIC cos it shows that people who you write off as being superficial idiots can often turn out to have charms and hidden depths.

linebaugh

The best thing to come out of the above show Too Hot to Handle was that after the show ended the most popular contestant Fransesc' sparked up a hollywood style networking friendship/flirtship with a contestant from the show Love is Blind and was actually brought on into the reunion episode. Making them both look like jason batemen. Very gross to watch. The slimiest of case studies. Another contestant broke the forth wall at the reunion and said 'my mom couldnt make the guest list but Im glad Francescas here.'

linebaugh

What I found interesting with Love Island (and some other shows like this) is that you start off hating every single contestant and watching it in order to hate them, but after a few episodes you start becoming more sympathetic towards certain contestants, you start liking some of them in spite of yourself... It's interesting cos Love Island is associated with contestants killing themselves, it's quite a toxic show, and of course highbrows look down at it from 30,000 feet. But it's got real value to it AFAIC cos it shows that people who you write off as being superficial idiots can often turn out to have charms and hidden depths.
a little like watching the sopranos where you have to periodically remind yourself that yes, these are very bad people.

What made the love is blind reunion good is that outside the generous light of the game show, the reality TV style reunion revealed about half of them to be sociopaths.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
“I never knew marriage could be this hard” said the contestant “she comes into season with increasing irregularity“