Love Is Blind

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I started reading Rilke's book about Rodin the other night and it was really good tbf so NO DISRESPECT INTENDED.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It is funny how I refuse to read anything professionally written by luka or craner even though I worship them both as demigods.

luka

I started reading Rilke's book about Rodin the other night and it was really good tbf so NO DISRESPECT INTENDED.
he was his secretary wasnt he. he wrote a thing book afterwards. trying to look outward at the world of things. im not hugely impressed with it but then again i dont read german. i also try to look at the thing-world periodically and it doesnt come naturally for me either

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
main-image

Fragments

I wonder if we can connect this chat back to the netflix reality show

sus

I'm glad I've got you thinking in game terms Linebaugh

This show looks great

Actually speaking of games, @Clinamenic have you read Mackenzie Wark's Game Theory? That question goes out to everybody ofc, but if anyone has read a Verso author I'm putting my money on Stan

sus

One thing that really affects the games on this show—but which exists out of the show proper—is the self-selection and selection rounds which determine the participants. Two really basic, obvious effects: (1) Everyone in these trailers is at least moderately attractive. (2) There are people who get on these shows to get on television, not to find love, and that causes big problems for the contestants who are actually in it for love.

sus

You also have selection effects like you get with dating apps. The concentration of serial daters, people who are bad at relationships, perpetually single, etc on Tinder is much higher than in the general population—because the people who are in long-term monogamous relationships have all been pulled out, or avoid Tinder in the first place for its hookup reputation. Also, some high-value dating pool participants may choose to avoid these apps because they don't need them.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I'm glad I've got you thinking in game terms Linebaugh

This show looks great

Actually speaking of games, @Clinamenic have you read Mackenzie Wark's Game Theory? That question goes out to everybody ofc, but if anyone has read a Verso author I'm putting my money on Stan
Have not read that, but I have heard her speak of such things in the talks and seminars she gives.

She worked with some artist and made this interactive story about the situationists, although nothing really game-like from what I remember.

And she had, or perhaps still has, her own post-capitalist paradigm she was analyzing things through, where the proletariat was replaced by the hacker class, and the capitalist class was replaced by the "vectoralist class" who remotely harvest the data of the hackers, or something to that effect.

What does she say about games?

Reactions: sus

sus

Oh lots of things, compares them to Plato's cave, talks about The Sims and Civilization III as a metaphor for American imperialism, you know standard stuff. Has this concept "allegorithm" which is like algorithm x allegory

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Interesting, and yeah I would say there is some allegorical truth to these things that may not have even been intended by the developers.

sus

What I found interesting with Love Island (and some other shows like this) is that you start off hating every single contestant and watching it in order to hate them, but after a few episodes you start becoming more sympathetic towards certain contestants, you start liking some of them in spite of yourself... It's interesting cos Love Island is associated with contestants killing themselves, it's quite a toxic show, and of course highbrows look down at it from 30,000 feet. But it's got real value to it AFAIC cos it shows that people who you write off as being superficial idiots can often turn out to have charms and hidden depths.
I think that we make these judgments/categorizations, on initial impressions, that anchor later judgments and are what, in a sense, allow for redemptions.

Mind you, much of this arc can be accomplished through editing and production—it can be artificial, a product of the show rather than of how we interpret one another—but I also think that once you've dismissed all the contestants as superficial morons, it becomes easier to be surprised and even impressed by their moments of candor, intelligence, or depth.

sus

Another interesting development in love is blind is that there were actually a few unattractive contestants, but they never found their match in the dating game and left the show. This all despite the fact the contestants of course cant see who they are talking too.
+1 for the "external attractiveness is 70% a proxy for psychological qualities" hypothesis

I've never been especially convinced, but smart people I respect who have willed themselves to solid 7.5+/10-dom have advocated this stance.