Love Is Blind

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
They also have some PA's on occasional messageboard duty looking for spilled deats. But speaking in generics, the contestants are discovered through social media largely, sometimes even from the community of fans of the game, and I'd imagine there is some gauntlet of persona parameters to gauge how entertaining they would be, but I haven't worked in casting.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
But the office we worked from had 24-hour footage of the contestants, and we had 12-hour shifts and spent plenty of time sitting in the office

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
We'd even catch them having sex, like zoo animals. Usually another PA would switch the feed, out of decency and workplace decorum. Fascinating, really, the whole arrangement, if even a bit tiresome.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I'm glad I've got you thinking in game terms Linebaugh

This show looks great

Actually speaking of games, @Clinamenic have you read Mackenzie Wark's Game Theory? That question goes out to everybody ofc, but if anyone has read a Verso author I'm putting my money on Stan
Also learned of Alexander Bogdanov from Wark.

Bogdanov seemed to be a systems thinker (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tektology) and may have even gone into the territory of game theory, perhaps before it was more established. Conjecture, of course, but it would seem in keeping with social systems theory.

I had thought tektology was more focused on social systems, i.e. bureaucracy, but I guess its more general than that.

I wonder if there is an established, systematic approach to understanding social organizations, comparing the hierarchical structures of different firms, different governments, etc, to see if there are any attractors or trends.

Another reason I think this kind of analysis would be interesting is that it may grant insight into the nature, such as it is, of bureaucracy, and such insight may enable us to better automate bureaucracy, i.e. rules of social organizations, via, say, smart contracts.

How does one behave differently in a bureaucratic environment, subject to rules that largely transcend the humans occupying the offices, etc.

Which isn't to imply that more pervasive oversight will necessarily yield net better results, even in single-bottom-line thinking. I still believe that mental health and happiness promise major net value added, just perhaps in ways that remain difficult to quantify in non-pervasive ways (i.e. without extensive biomonitoring, emotive facial recognition, etc).

The difficulty in quantifying these things may appear to leave more room for risk, thus resulting in weaker value propositions.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Quick thoughts on how smart contracts may enable further steps in automating bureaucracy: in general terms, it would involve enshrining rules in a publicly viewable, minimally biased algorithmic framework, rather than leaving the enforcement of rules in the hands of more bias-susceptible humans with vested interests and little to no oversight.

An executive's thought process is not as publicly viewable, nor as systematizable, as data.

Speaking in more specific terms would be a strain for me seeing as I am only starting to learn the language of smart contracts, and because I have minimal exposure to the protocols of high-stakes bureaucracy, and because I am still naive regarding much the microeconomic strategy across socio-economic tiers in the more developed nations.

linebaugh

Quick thoughts on how smart contracts may enable further steps in automating bureaucracy: in general terms, it would involve enshrining rules in a publicly viewable, minimally biased algorithmic framework, rather than leaving the enforcement of rules in the hands of more bias-susceptible humans with vested interests and little to no oversight.

An executive's thought process is not as publicly viewable, nor as systematizable, as data.
This is the system we already have. Feel like 90% of your interactions with state run bureaucracy are formalized and determined outside a human hand.

boxedjoy

my favourite dating show ever was A Shot At Love With Tila Tequila which featured the "twist" that after she brought 16 men into the house to meet her and get to know, she revealed she was in fact bisexual and would also have 16 women in the house. She ended up spending every scene with a woman indulging in some light snogging and petting while every scene with the men was antagonistic, and everyone was encouraged to drink constantly. It was such a success we had two seasons, clearly love didn't last. It's too bad she's now a Nazi and I can't re-watch the show in good faith.

boxedjoy

my favourite show on Netflix is the Japanese dating show Ainori: Love Wagon, which is almost the complete opposite of Love Island etc. There are four men and three women on a bus, travelling the world, seeing sights and getting to know each other. If a contestant decides they like another one they declare their intentions and the recipient of their affections must decide either to return to Japan with them or turn them down and stay on the bus. The contestants are portrayed as losers: one is a virgin, another is a Youtuber with only a dozen subscribers, even the flash guy who owns a business is made to look like a pathetic try-hard. There is very little budget and the show openly acknowledges the hands of production. They don't go to exotic locales - they go to markets and hostels, and the "destinations" are rundown hospitals and the homes of people who have been victims of wars, which means the show veers between light-hearted romance banter and harrowing, powerful stories about atrocities committed in Africa. It's some of the most incredible TV I've ever seen.