Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Does he talk about young thug cross dressing in the book?

I can't remember and I only read about 20 pages of it

luka

he hates people talking about young thug wearing dresses. he thinks its inane and plays into a moronic 'field of discourse'

luka

wearing a dress is catnip to a certain variety of journalist who have no interest in the music or the culture around it but get excited at the thought of a rapper wearing little girls clothes

IdleRich

IdleRich
Literally every song is about killing people with guns even if it sounds 'girly' to your ears
When you think about it guns are a pretty girly weapon. With a knife you gotta get up close and personal, stick it in and feel their life drain away - with a gun you just gotta pull the trigger, my eight year old niece could do it. I could probably even do it if I had to.

luka

they make a loud noise. girls dont like loud noises.
they're a complicated piece of machinery. girls dont like machines.

IdleRich

IdleRich
One thing I notice more and more is how people seem to have forgotten that your own experience is not necessarily always THE general, objective one that can be extrapolated to create a cast iron rule.

I don't have this properly thought out, but I think it's something to do with this phenomena of everyone feeling they know THE way to live and that they be have to go on a podcast and aggressively order everyone to follow their rules.

Whereas before, suppose there was a person who didn't like ice cream, they would think "most people like ice cream, but I do not, I am therefore unusual" - nowadays if someone doesn't like it they would either do what that girl above did and say "Ice cream is disgusting, no-one likes ice cream but they pretend to cos it's old fashioned and you're supposed to like it" or, worse, if they were a man most likely, they would be filmed somewhere at a desk with a microphone and someone listening to them as though they were important, and they would really confidently - in fact aggressively - say "You eat ice cream and I don't. This is the difference between me and you - you are soft and weak and sweet like a girl, and you melt under pressure cos you have swallowed loads of ice cream calories which have been proven to make you fragile and gay, whereas I'm a shark, and sharks don't eat ice cream. Every second you waste eating ice cream calories, I'm bench pressing so I'm getting stronger while you get weaker, the difference between us is growing at a double-rate. I will out-perform you on every metric, I am a hunter, you are a gatherer... "
This is one of my least favourite of modern phenomena - these fucking guys everywhere hectoring you to do what they say. And nine times out of ten I don't even know who these guys are, why they are attempting to boss me around, or why I should aspire to be like them. Why are there so many of these people (men) who are certain they know the secret of life? Most of all why do they feel they can just fucking say stuff and expect other people to believe in it and do what they say. Cunts. I'm really fucking angry now cos I hate these people so much. Fuckers.

luka

they do it i guess cos people listen cos people want guidance and will latch on to someone giving it to them. which you can then monetise.

luka

for most of us, the vast majority, life feels like a game youre thrown into and everyone knows the rules except for you. its confusing and frustrating and the source of a lot of anxiety.

luka

for the italian translation they said, we dont like the title, we are changing it to
autotune theory
lol

IdleRich

IdleRich
they do it i guess cos people listen cos people want guidance and will latch on to someone giving it to them. which you can then monetise.

Yeah, I guess that's it. And I think that the main thing is that most of them are chancers and they are trying to look successful and confident and stand out as more successful and confident than everyone else, and they've decided that the way to do that is to be more unpleasant and aggressive and bossy etc and to me it's such an unpleasant combination, it's a nails down the blackboard personality type and it grinds my fucking gears and it's everywhere.

Anyway, I did not mean to derail... am I Richie now?

listen to this Richie

So I listened to it, what am I supposed to be taking from it?
I did like the way that the next song that came up was What Have I Done To Deserve This? by The Pet Shop boys...

luka

we were talking about the sound of guns, how they make a loud noise. remember? i really like that song, its one of my favourites of all time.

catalog

I’ve just read the book Neon Screams by Kit Mackintosh and it’s about how autotune has mutated over the past fifteen years. He mentions music artists who use autotune like Young Thug and Future and newer artists like SahBabii and Baby Keem. For me, when I first listened to their music I thought: “This is what I thought the music of the future would sound like.”

IN__You mean when you first listened to Future you thought “Oh yeah, he really is the future”?

ML__*Laughs* More Young Thug than Future. When I listened to Young Thug I was just like, “what the fuck?” It’s so new. There’s no sound that existed like that previously.

IN__Do you mean specifically the way he uses autotune?

ML__Well in Neon Screams Mackintosh was talking about how these artists are making music that is emotional and psychedelic, but it’s all channeled through technology, which produces a very strange effect. It’s essentially the realisation that, by making yourself into a cyborg, you can be more human.

IN__Yeah, it’s a way of protecting yourself. You can be more vulnerable and open about uncomfortable things because this protection, this distance, is already baked into it. It’s you saying it but it’s not your voice. It’s like wearing a mask.

ML__Exactly, yeah. What fascinates me about the relationship between distance and intimacy I mentioned before when we were talking about Fiorucci is that I think it’s a part of the contemporary condition because everything is mediated now. You’re always trying to get closer to something or wanting to feel something while being in this alienated, mediated state. You have to find your own complicated dance or relationship with things in order to induce some kind of aliveness. You have to go to something quite cold and mechanical in order to feel more human.
Can I just check something, having not actually read the book (I did buy it for waistcoat friend and asked him what he thought and he replied saying "book is good, quite out there").

That last sentence from leckey, "You have to go to something quite cold and mechanical in order to feel more human."

Is that discussed by barty or is it an inference from leckey?

luka

kit said leckie has completely misunderstood the book. i posted the extract cos he said he was embaressed by how leckie is misrepresenting his book