How many songs do you know?

sufi

lala
It must be thousands and thousands, our brains have this phenomenal facility for memorising tunes and words, far far better than for e.g. quotes or numbers
we're like little songbirds really isnt it

How do you organise your internal catalog? is it like one huge crate of LPs? do you see the covers? or can you see the videos too - like an endless scrolling youtube,
Can you bring forth from memory by category? go on sing us a country music track by a man from 1980's

Those tunes we picked up as youths are so indelible (like Eden i think i have all the words to Squeeze greatest hits, and god knows what else)

martin

----
How do you organise your internal catalog? is it like one huge crate of LPs? do you see the covers?
It’s a big jukebox in some shady, smoky pub in my skull, with the Great God Pan playing a fruit machine nearby, saying “Go on, put on the Mariah Carey Xmas song.” No, I don’t want to listen to that – I’m putting on Joy Division. “Go on.” No! It’s my £1 – and then I’ve got Mariah Carey in my head all afternoon.

go on sing us a country music track by a man from 1980's

I've always been different with one foot over the line
Winding up somewhere one step ahead or behind
It ain't been so easy but I guess I shouldn't complain

I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.

bun-u

Trumpet Police
Those tunes we picked up as youths are so indelible (like Eden i think i have all the words to Squeeze greatest hits, and god knows what else)

Yes agree with this - some dreadful filler track from a 1983 Depeche Mode tape which I've heard 1300 times vrs my favourite track from last year which I might've heard 14 times

sufi

lala
I wonder what sort of capacity one hooman brain has for this stuff?
maybe the tunes you hear as a youth fill up the lyrics repository, but i don't think you run out of space for new melodies

and i don't think that you have more quota if you are a musician, though you might well have a whole nother layer of sophisticated classification - i must know 100s of classical muic and hymns which i don't know the name or composer of, let alone any actual musical metadata like what key or what format the tune is - sonata or symphony or whatever

sufi

lala
is the thing they call a "hook" in a tune (question for @sadmanbarty the musicologist) actually a way to snag that catchiness receptors in your brain (like the covid spike :ROFLMAO:)?

sufi

lala
It’s a big jukebox in some shady, smoky pub in my skull, with the Great God Pan playing a fruit machine nearby, saying “Go on, put on the Mariah Carey Xmas song.” No, I don’t want to listen to that – I’m putting on Joy Division. “Go on.” No! It’s my £1 – and then I’ve got Mariah Carey in my head all afternoon.

i wonder if musicians have better control over the earworms

sufi

lala

loving this picture of the smokey boozer in Martin's brain
one for the AI image generator

sufi

lala
I dunno if you all experienced this but i can remember the phone numbers i memorised in the 90's before i had a mobile, but none since then,
but i don't think that any similar technological replacement has happened in the musical bargain basement section of my brain
what sort of tech would we need i wonder to supplement or swap out our mental jukeboxes

woops

is not like other people
i wonder if musicians have better control over the earworms
I don't know what your earworms are like but mine always involve figuring out the melody as I'd play it on a piano and what the chord progression might be

sufi

lala
When I get Alzheimer's, I'll still be able to mumble word-perfect every line of Rakim's 'Follow the leader'
... fish, which is my favorite dish, but without money, it's still a wish ...

different track, but Rakim's lyric is hardwired into my DNA as those who mix metaphors would say

sufi

lala
I don't know what your earworms are like but mine always involve figuring out the melody as I'd play it on a piano and what the chord progression might be
my brain doesnt have those apps
piano keys are like a broken smile to me and chords are warm trousers

sufi

lala
my ear worms are just monotonous loops
i have a few really strong ones that i can recall sometimes to supplant more annoying less sticky worms though

woops

is not like other people
my ear worms are just monotonous loops
i have a few really strong ones that i can recall sometimes to supplant more annoying less sticky worms though
Sometimes I find I can banish the monotonous loop by listening to the record

sufi

lala
BUT

The songs that are really hard to keep in your head are the ones you want to hear again, isnt it?
Autotune, or weird newfangled effects, or interestingly garbled lyrics, for instance, can place the tune just out of reach, so your brain wants to hear it one more time and consign it to the archive?
songbirds instincts isnt it?

sufi

lala
where are you? pub?
Bargain basement of HMV Ken High Street circa 1989, last days of the closing down sale, sleeves and discs and liners strewn around by merciless crate diggers and cast off goth refugees from Hyper Hyper across the road
default.jpg