william_kent

Cooly - Freedom

Cooly - Freedom ( version )

Rare as hen's teeth digital dancehall from out of late 80s/early 90s NYC, via Cooly aka Koolindian aka Super Cat's cousin Andrew Maragh, originally released on his own Mad Indian Records - reissued here for DINTE sub-label 333.

Maragh sang in church choirs and on soundsystems in Jamaica before moving to New York in the 1980s where he quickly became involved on the underground music circuit, taking inspiration from his cousin the legendary Super Cat. "Freedom" was penned while he was incarcerated, and details the unfairness of the judicial system at that time, alongside the heartfelt need to "hustle everyday to make ends meet, whether that’s picking up scrap metal or cutting lawns or voicing dubplates, whatever you do to make a dollar", says Maragh.

Having bought an Ampex tape in Manhattan, Maragh headed over to the legendary Philip Smart's HC&F studio on Long Island with the intention of laying down his lyrics on the version to Dennis Brown's "Children of Israel". After hearing the song however, Smart went ahead and built this one-away "Freedom" rhythm on the spot. The track was then carried to Count Shelly's Super Power Records where it was then pressed & distributed as the first and only release on the Mad Indian label around the turn of 1989/1990.

the "one a way" bass line is strangely similar to this On-U / Dub Syndicate tune

Gary Clail / Dub Syndicate - Two Thieves and a Liar

''you can't copyright a a bass line"

edit: the implication is On-U Sound stole ( Penny Reel would have said that this is standard for crackheads, but I will not pass judgement, I have my own vices )

william_kent

oh yeah.., lest I forget

RIP

Keith le Blanc - Major Malfunction

minutes to go!

"Tackhead is to hip hop as alegbra is to mathematics"

droid

Cooly - Freedom

Cooly - Freedom ( version )

the "one a way" bass line is strangely similar to this On-U / Dub Syndicate tune

Gary Clail / Dub Syndicate - Two Thieves and a Liar

''you can't copyright a a bass line"

edit: the implication is On-U Sound stole ( Penny Reel would have said that this is standard for crackheads, but I will not pass judgement, I have my own vices )
Sounds like give me the right without the horns.

kid charlemagne

Frank White the menacing, Chron Chron's the medicine
I got the lettuce and, you turn green like cucumber skin
Got the new, Hummer in the summer when I was a new comer
Then, drugs and MAC-10s
Hugs from fake friends, make ends they hate you
Be broke, girls won't date you
That's why I relate to, choke yo' ass out 'til your face blue
Make you, open the safe too
No matter how you call it (How you call it)