droid

I very much refute that I need to put a mask on and install an air filter in my house to show that I care about the people around me.

I'll bet no one else on here apart from you does these things, so you're calling all of us ignorant, callous pricks. Do you go up to random people on the street and insult them like this?

Yeah, fine, you're happy to catch and spread a rampant airborne disease that kills and maims, particularly, the old, the sick, the weak and the vulnerable. good for you.

And lol 'install an air filter', they cost about €150 and you have to plug them in, big fucking deal. But hey, why would you want to protect your own family from household transmission? You'd have to be crazy to want to do that.

mixed_biscuits

droid just does the same trick over and over again: affects an earnest demeanour to introduce some serious thing he's oh so worried about while - this is the key to the trick - grossly exaggerating it. The interlocutor is forced to downplay the seriousness of whatever it is because of this exaggeration, whereupon droid magically pulls from his sleeve some personal sob story which he has intentionally not revealed until that moment. The interlocutor is thereby made to feel chastened and droid gets to call them a horrible unfeeling ignorant scumbag etc. The whole point is the payoff for droid from this final cunning twist.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
That's cool. Show us your working for the first part, 1-in-24, you and MB came to same figure.
It's like the reverse of the someone sharing your birthday at a party probability.
I think he just quoted my figure?

But it's easy. If 1 in 24 has covid, then the chances of one person not having it are (1-1/24). Chances of two people both being uninfected are (1-1/24)^2, and so on. This figure transitions from just over 0.5 (it's slightly more likely that no-one is infected) to just under 0.5 (it's slightly more likely that this isn't the case) as n transitions from 16 to 17.

droid

The ONS estimate is based on self reported rapid tests, so based on previous studies on LFT accuracy it could be easily be 1/3-2/3 higher.

droid

That's right, I love spreading diseases and killing the sick and vulnerable and I don't give a shit about my family. Me and 99.9999% of people. Almost everyone, except you, of course.

Yeah, you're clearly very concerned for about the 20% or so of the population for whom covid presents a potentially deadly threat.

I know of about a dozen people who've been hit over the last three weeks. What does that tell you? That people are still testing, more than I expected actually, so they at least care enough not to spread it after they know they are infected.

Just under 50% of people in the UK support the return of mask mandates, they obviously care, but they need leadership to overcome social conformity pressure and do the right thing.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
seems beyond mandating anything - you have to make your own choices

UK hospitals are a joke - we’re essentially running a eugenics program in respiratory, heart and oncology units. Social care testing? I’d love nothing more than separating care setting testing off from the entirety of society and focus precious resources on people who could survive a raft of conditions and early preventable deaths. AandE too as it’s the most hectic face-to-face and triage is pressure enough for shattered staff making decisions under relentless stress. Residential homes ring fenced for testing too. It’s not difficult to achieve ye ol’ ‘infection control’. What ‘individuals’ do with Covid outside of such domains is entirely on them. Everyone has differing views on what constitutes scrutiny or conduct with this disease

It’s far more of a concern re elderly relatives and what the disease will look like through the life time of our kids - how many infections will they be exposed to without plating up dread lurgy hyper vigilance. Not easy, look at school disruption. On the plus side lockdowns were more like camping in. Kids self taught themselves personal responsibility in unique circumstances because you share all the work and floor space. They grew up massively during it all, weird reflecting back on, slightly different in that they weren’t around for enfolding hiv crisis with a novelty disease and the Monolith plinth but staying on top of education, sports days, to expect a mask mandate now would be tough to enforce

But add it up, say 2 infections every 3 years over 60-70 years? All we can do is show them the range of choices within different social domains and they practically live outdoors, even in winter. I’d be more concerned if they were vegetating gaming, brooding on all of these respective discussion points. You have to balance the range of information available and bring any punctuations of concern all kids have round towards attempting to convey the world has changed in key ways permanently with gentleness

Issues around trying to supervise future care support are quite grim with seniors, seems futile denying it. Again, see care setting testing. Fortunate position where no need for social care but for tons of folks who need what still passes as a farce for care there’s no other choice. No testing tells you everything about the collective shrug during unique circumstances.

craner

Beast of Burden
How is Covid at the moment? I haven't heard about anybody having it for a month. Can I go to the swimming pool now?

version

Sean-Connery-James-Bond-Thunderball-SCUBA-Diving.jpg

droid

How is Covid at the moment? I haven't heard about anybody having it for a month. Can I go to the swimming pool now?

2000 people dying every week in the US, 450+ deaths per week in the UK. 700,000 dead in the last 3 months according to the economist's excess death tracker. New Swedish research suggests long term brain damage from even a 'mild' infection. Insanely high levels of sick leave last year pushed Germany into recession. Covid rates in Wales remains high.

GFFTN1ZXQAAKq-z

GE3t7VOWYAAKXb6

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
germany is in a recession because of its mad austerity program, because companies that had been forced to close for two years have gone banktrupt en masse, and because it cant rely on cheap energy anymore due to nord stream being blown up.

droid

Insanely high levels of sick leave last year pushed Germany into recession.

Did the gas crisis push Germany into crisis, did inflation or the consequences of sanctions? According to a new study, the economy could still have grown in 2023 – if so many people hadn't gotten sick.

Never before have so many working people called in sick as in 2023. According to the Association of Research-Based Pharmaceutical Companies, the record high level of sickness is even the reason for the current recession.

The largest statutory health insurance company, the Techniker Krankenkasse (TK), also confirmed the exceptionally high rate of absenteeism among employees in 2023. These were significantly above the level of the years before the corona pandemic, as the TK explained to the newspapers of the Funke media group.
"Record" levels of sick leave had weighed significantly on growth in 2023, according to a study published by the German VFA association of research-based pharma companies.

"Significant work absences led to considerable losses in production. Without above-average sick day numbers, the German economy would have grown by almost 0.5 percent (in 2023)," the study said.

In 2023, the trend of a record number of days that employees in Germany spent on sick leave continued. The average sick leave lasted 20 days. The most frequent diseases that appear in the statistics are respiratory infections and influenza. Among the above-average diagnoses, depression is often found.

mixed_biscuits

2000 people dying every week in the US, 450+ deaths per week in the UK. 700,000 dead in the last 3 months according to the economist's excess death tracker. New Swedish research suggests long term brain damage from even a 'mild' infection. Insanely high levels of sick leave last year pushed Germany into recession. Covid rates in Wales remains high.

GFFTN1ZXQAAKq-z

GE3t7VOWYAAKXb6
What have you got to worry about? You've already got brain fog. 450 deaths per week is very low compared to a meaningful flu season.

Excess deaths are not automatically Covid deaths.

mixed_biscuits