DannyL

Wild Horses
Sorry there are just some things that are so foundational, such a part of the shared experience of the world, I find it fucking inconceivable that someone hasn't heard it.

linebaugh

So I actually have heard all of princes big hits it turns out, except doves cry. not once prior to this. it was that big?

forclosure

Sorry has someone not heard When Doves Cry? How is this actually possible? This is insane
i hate that i understand this reaction on a fundamental level cause i had a Canadian come and say to me that he'd never heard any Luther Vandross before.

He said he was reading some article from a writer where she said how we need to stop revering the Beatles and prop up Luther instead and he was like "wait? the guy from Young Americans?".

forclosure

or when i had to explain to a recently made friend from Portugal who The Gap Band were after i made a passing refference to you dropped a bomb on me

forclosure

when i see some of you man say that you never heard certain gigantic tunes that have been around longer than i've been alive i really do wonder what the bumboclart were you listening to at that time?

there was no way post punk or any of that C86 shit was THAT good to the point where you never heard when doves cry

Catalog's from Manchester and i can partially forgive him cause people talk about that cities "musical legacy" so it ignores how fucking dire the place is in order for music to come out from there (and i say this with full awareness as a Londoner)

forclosure

i told my mum about the Canadian guy and like me she lost it she came with such classics as:

"weh dem play fi dem sumthin? ZZ Top?"

"world wide Luther AND THAT'S ALL YOU KNOW LUTHER FOR?"
and
"give the british credit even when then hate black people they like black people music"