woops

is not like other people
i've heard of the gap band but i couldn't name thier big hit off the top of my head

Benny Bunter

I've listened to them before but can't quite remember, in my head they're like Zapp or something like that.

What, yyaldrin you've never heard of Zapp either?! OMG

linebaugh

limburger review doves crying
I think its a very slick song. mix of minor and major keys, they way the ryhmn and fx sounds sound like theyre in a rock tumblr or oozing out of a facuet- the vocals are basically playing the role of rythmn section with their military automation quality. feels like your doing a synchronized dance inside a pyramid but everyone is wearing unique costumes

catalog

Prince, 1977

xGCOdGz.jpg

Reactions: Leo

rubberdingyrapids

first half of the parade album (second half has good stuff but theyre just isolated good songs, though do u lie is great) is probably the best opening of any of his albums. a bit like the abbey road suite. of his big singles, purple rain always feels like somethings missing from it, or like its just dying to get to the chorus and solo, the rest doesnt matter much, kiss has brilliant production but its a bit of a novelty song, 1999 has a plodding stomp of a rhythm and only really gets good when it gets to the JB ending on the album version. little red corvette is unimpeachable. so is raspberry beret. those two and when u were mine are maybe his best story-led songs (head is one of the funniest/funkiest). i could never take the place of your man has maybe the greatest guitar passage of any of his songs, a bit miles davis/silent way or rolling stones/can you hear me knocking. if you love purple rain though, then you should hear the love we make from 1996, as its a power ballad, but done better IMO.

linebaugh

Luka calls him fake music or an impersonation of music and I see that but whats interesting about prince is while thats a claim that can be made about many artists prince is unique in that he doesnt seem self concious at all. Its contrived and genuine.

0bleak

was well into Prince - I was pretty much the MTV kind of kid (very lonely and spent a lot of time in front of the tv)
Purple Rain tour - first concert
went with my mom as I was quite young (funny thing is that she doesn't remember taking me)
Purple everywhere in the merch section, or maybe it was just an overabundance of purple roses - memory hazy
Sheila E opened - She brought up some guy up on stage and kept asking is he wanted to fuck her (uncomfortable for a young person there with their mom)
A bunch of fundamentalist Christians outside the venue trying to get people to repent for going to the concert, and they were handing out what I guess were "Chick tracts" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Chick ).
I was kind of hyped up to wear the concert t-shirt the next day, but only to hear comments like "faggot" or people dissing Prince.
At any rate, was still went into most of his stuff through Sign O The Times.

mixed_biscuits

Luka calls him fake music or an impersonation of music and I see that but whats interesting about prince is while thats a claim that can be made about many artists prince is unique in that he doesnt seem self concious at all. Its contrived and genuine.
Prince was a multi-instrumentalist.