poetix

we murder to dissect
A significant vector of dissent today is insistence in the reality principle against the professional management of appearances. It used to be voguish on the left to denounce The Spectacle, but I think we’ve all trauma-bonded with it to some extent. Most of the things raised up as emblems of Reality - sex is real, race is real, etc - are, in fact, not real in the way they’re claimed to be real - they’re raised aloft as totems, rather than seriously considered as complex objects. But the left mostly doesn’t want to deal with complex objects either, so the choice is between things evaporated into idiotic slogans and things reified into stone idols

luka

you could probably cobble together a theory about all this stuff being linked to this new imperative to 'protect' 'vulnerable' groups.

wild greens

Sorry if echoing any points but I zoned out of this thread at about page 5

I reckon the "problem" with current worldview is that being socially liberal and wanting to earn a couple of quid means that there is automatically a historically generated argument that labels you as some kind of vegan communist nonce who wants to ban cars and live in a tent. Look how many people twat on about Marxists now, the cheek of it

Personally I couldn't give a fuck what anyone does if it's consensual on both sides or what race/religion you are, and i suspect most of us are the same, but the dominant worldview is in disagreement with that in one form of another. To want a better situation for the underclass causes problems as repression runs part and parcel with the current capitalist billionaire model. Socially liberal capitalism was/is on the rise really, but the end game of that isnt really that good for the real high end is it.

So it's easier for your narrative to call me people like me a cunt and dialogue be mobilised against a more hopeful future. Social media is a great weapon for all that.

I think the mistakes most of us on "the left" make are

a) getting stuck into the ultimately pointless academic theoretical world RWY referenced up thread and/or hanging around with people who really like the social media platform echo Chambers but ultimately don't do anything other than make a couple of quid from e.g. the wet fart patron subscribers
&
b) getting riled by the two-bit right-wing pundits like Hartley-Brewer or Carlson (top tier, family money etc) all the way down to the runts of the litter like Darren Grimes or Prison Planet

The thing is that the online/media left are a load of soppy bollocks and the right wing online/media can say what they want so their memes are better generally. Someone like Piers Morgan can easily call himself a Chad even if he wouldn't be able to fight his way out a wet paper bag, because he knows the narrative backs him up.

The few people on the left in the UK who have the audience are footballers weirdly, and look at the hatchet job they tried to pull on Rashford last year.

If you think I am wrong then cool but just look at how "Woke" got shifted from its original meaning to being a daily mail weapon that my ageing aunts use to try and lambast anyone who dares think your "minorities" could get a fairer shake of the stick. How dare these lads stick their neck up above the parapet

The problem now is that life is generally shit for a lot of people out there so it's inevitable that protest and dissent isn't going to go away. Luckily for the ruling class you now have a scenario where the anti-vax mandate sentiment was taking a lot of people's steam and they could carry on filling their boots but it won't last forever. Where does that go next.

The last thing your ruling class really wants is the left and right discontent to wake up and realise that people are all in the shit together, regardless of philosophical difference. Hence "right wing" dissent.

Its easy to sculpt the masses, that's why it happens. Typed too much here

Last edited:

poetix

we murder to dissect
you could probably cobble together a theory about all this stuff being linked to this new imperative to 'protect' 'vulnerable' groups.
Mixed feelings about this. Downstream of stupid culture war shit is actual state and street violence, but that doesn't mean the stupid culture war shit isn't stupid shit much more than it is, itself, violence. I guess there's a tendency to telescope the causal chain and just go for the people taking up stupid culture war positions as if they were directly doing the harms they're indirectly enabling. To which they are apt to respond "what are you talking about, we're just doing stupid culture war shit", although this is the only time they'll break character.

poetix

we murder to dissect
It does also generate a kind of impatience - "oh, fuck the vulnerable, we're just having a laugh" - which becomes part of the affective signature of edgy dissent.

luka

but what i was getting at was the idea of the reptilians using 'the vulnerable' as a human shield

luka

so i havent actually cobbled the theory together, im just saying you could. for example you can say that the immuno-comprised and 'grandma' are invoked to stop inquiry into the corona-response.

luka

or how those of below average intelligence are invoked to defend censorship that's another example

luka

GOT THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE FROM A CONTRIBUTOR WHO WISHES TO REMAIN ANONYMOUS... UNLESS EVERYONE SAYS THAT'S A REALLY CLEVER IDEA, WHAT GENIUS THOUGHT THAT UP.

re: the grandma defence in that dissent thread,

i've noticed that invasive new technologies are sometimes justified on these grounds,

like "alexa" will be really helpful for the disabled,

thin end of the wedge

but it's too controversial to post in the thread.

luka

i think Stan used this weasel method to defend Elron Musk torturing chimps in pursuit of his absurd brain-chip pipe dream. oh, yes, well it will be great for the disableds....

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
We burned through a lot of the elderly and their assets. NHS already uses a voice prompt service, find x in y department etc. Not exactly Star Trek and speeds up everything

In fragmenting underfunded services, already under gigantic stress, the perverse reality is the current govt would be all too willing to allow Amazon into state infrastructure. Sticky wicket, still. The risk is in conflating Alexa and the disabled as a way to address both subjects, prejudicing one against the other. No small task

version

We burned through a lot of the elderly and their assets. NHS already uses a voice prompt service, find x in y department etc. Not exactly Star Trek and speeds up everything

In fragmenting underfunded services, already under gigantic stress, the perverse reality is the current govt would be all too willing to allow Amazon into state infrastructure. Sticky wicket, still. The risk is in conflating Alexa and the disabled as a way to address both subjects, prejudicing one against the other. No small task
I read this earlier and it didn't paint a great picture of the current state of NHS mental health services,

vimothy

yurp
this is where vimothy and his understudy josef k were ahead of the game in their characterisation of the new world order as 'liberal'. that was vim's thesis first. then people like moldbug and nick land picked up on it.
very true, I don't get enough credit - recognising this might turn out to be your most important cultural contribution luka