Linguistic ambiguities and nonsense phrases etc

woops

is not like other people
if your ignorant of something it means you don't know it, not that your ignoring it; its like the french verb ignorer which means not to know.

so there

IdleRich

IdleRich
Moot or mooted is a weird word I think. Hard to pin down in a sense. If a thing is moot that means there is no point thinking about it cos it's somehow irrelevant, but to moot something is to suggest it for discussion isn't it?

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
If a thing is moot that means there is no point thinking about it cos it's somehow irrelevant, but to moot something is to suggest it for discussion isn't it?
it's bc the American and British meanings of the adjective moot are strangely different (if not quite opposite)

i.e. here it means irrelevant in the sense of not worth thinking/debating about bc it's not possible, or not necessary, to arrive at a conclusion

in Britain it means an uncertain matter still open to debate

the verb form - in both countries - is as you say, to suggest an uncertain matter for discussion

all the meanings have to do with discussing an undetermined matter

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
it's bc the American and British meanings of the adjective moot are strangely different (if not quite opposite)

i.e. here it means irrelevant in the sense of not worth thinking/debating about bc it's not possible, or not necessary, to arrive at a conclusion

the verb form - in both countries - is as you say, to suggest an uncertain matter for discussion

So is the meaning of 'moot' itself moot in only one of these senses, or both of them?

IdleRich

IdleRich

But in English English if you say "the point is moot" it means it's not worth discussing as it would be pointless.... or as it says

having little or no practical relevance, typically because the subject is too uncertain to allow a decision.
"the whole matter is becoming increasingly moot"

So we have both - apparently opposing - meanings

woops

is not like other people
theirs a big poster on the side of my house advertising a mortgage lender or whatever and the slogan reads

"Feel buying your first home shouldn't be impossible? The feeling's mutual"

surely that means your home feels buying its first you shouldn't be impossible either? that's got past a lot of subliterate people that phrase

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
the only word repeated is feel/ings

mortgages aren’t about maths or money, they’re about how you they make you feel, apparently