Linguistic ambiguities and nonsense phrases etc

mixed_biscuits

What other words are there like that? One I can think of is 'discrimination', which used to be a good thing (good taste, refinement, expertise), and now means unfair treatment, usually due to some kind of social bigotry.
It still means the original thing as well tho - it's just that discriminating itself is derogated in certain contexts (society has changed rather than the word)

mixed_biscuits

Yes, because a workman often finds herself having to use their pneumatic drill because of some emergency drilling situation - clearly these outlandish scenarios do nothing to undermine the general truth of the saying (which anyone in their right mind would never weaponise against a hapless surgeon having had to improvise a clitoridectomy with an airline lunch plastic cutlery set at twelve thousand feet over the bay of Bengal anyway)

Benny Bunter

Sure, that explains the origin of the word, but not how it came to have meanings that are pretty much diametrically opposite in terms of value judgement.
This is interesting, maybe it's to do with politics? Sounds quite convincing to me

Dorsum is the root of dorsal, meaning “relating to or situated near or on the back especially of an animal,” as in dorsal fin. That literal meaning of “on the back” is also the origin of endorse, which meant “to write on the back of a document” in texts going back to before 1400. This could be simply a signature (as in “endorsing a check”), or it could be a more elaborate note such as approval of a promotion in the military or a specific notation of a driving violation on one’s license.

The figurative meaning “to approve openly” or “to express support or approval of openly and definitely” is much more modern, dating to the 1800s. An early use makes reference to the nominating convention of the Democratic Party in 1844, but could easily be imagined as a line from election coverage today; only the names would change:

Col. Benton endorses Polk and Dallas, but almost directly denounces the Convention which nominated them.
—Brooklyn Evening Star, 28 June, 1844

Benny Bunter

You can see a similar thing happening with the word 'approve' too look

c. 1300, apreven, approven, "to demonstrate, prove," from Old French aprover (Modern French approuver) "approve, agree to," from Latin approbare "to assent to as good, regard as good," from ad "to" (see ad-) + probare "to try, test something (to find if it is good)," from probus "honest, genuine" (see prove).

The meaning was extended late 14c. to "regard or assent to (something) as good or superior; commend; sanction, endorse, confirm formally," especially in reference to the actions of authorities, parliaments, etc.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
The in- of inflammable is an intensifier

Like eg candescent -> incandescent
yes, I am aware of that. I know what the word means.

my question is, why is in- sometimes an intensifier and sometimes a negation, i.e. incapable or inconsistent?

is there a rule that governs when in- has which meaning or is it just something you have to know case by case?

a rule in English, or one that in Latin that would presumably govern derivation in English (leaving aside semantic drift for the moment)

or even French/Old French, since like much of Latin-derived English these words mostly, I believe, arrive in English via French

Last edited:

mixed_biscuits

my question is, why is in- sometimes an intensifier and sometimes a negation, i.e. incapable or inconsistent?

is there a rule that governs when in- has which meaning or is it just something you have to know case by case?

a rule in English, or one that in Latin that would presumably govern derivation in English (leaving aside semantic drift for the moment)

or even French/Old French, since like much of Latin-derived English these words mostly, I believe, arrive in English via French
Case by case, I believe

jenks

thread death
But isn't "pulling yourself up by your boottraps" the origin of the phrase to boot or reboot a computer. The point is - I suppose - that turning on a computer is deemed to cause it to achieve that impossible task.
I think the original text on the screen looked like a boot - hence booting/ re-booting
But yes, one couldn’t pull oneself up by one’s own bootstrap - an impossible task

Leo

And then there's "nonplussed", which means one thing (perplexed, disconcerted) but is often misused for saying the opposite (unfazed, indifferent). Some dictionaries list the latter as a secondary "American, informal" definition.

Can't get more American than that: we misunderstand a definition, but are so full of ourselves and convinced that we just decide to use the word for what we want it to mean.

MAGA!

my excellent contribution to this thread was overlooked, so doing a self-bump.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I did miss that one Leo I have to admit. And I'm not really aware if that (mis)usage you mention so good to learn that.

Totally agree with the thing about meanings though, I've been lectured by Americans before who have taken a lovely old English word that predates their country by half a millennium, given it their own meaning and then insisted it's the one true meaning and thus I'm a woman-hating bastard.

Reactions: Leo

luka

this thread reminds me of being a child, bored in my grandparents house and having to resort to their infinte stack of readers digest magazines

woops

is not like other people
there are also some more stupid ones for exaMPLE

"ignorant" does not mean ignoring someone

"laughable" does not mean funny

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
there are also some more stupid ones for exaMPLE

"ignorant" does not mean ignoring someone

"laughable" does not mean funny
Ignorant to me means what the word would lead you to think it means, IE the thing or person doing the ignoring. Like determinant, only I haven’t seen ignorant used as a noun.