The imdb top 10

luka

i just watched the triangle of sadness. pretty good. i see it made some american critics really angry and defensive which makes me like it more.

Richard Brody, in a critical review for The New Yorker, described Triangle of Sadness as "a movie of targeted demagogy that pitches its facile political stances to the preconceptions of the art-house audience; far from deepening those ideas or challenging those assumptions, it flatters the like-minded viewership while swaggering with the filmmaker’s presumption of freethinking, subversive audacity." Brody described Östlund's direction as "precise but stiff" and criticised the film's emphasis on social commentary: "[Östlund's] keen observations are submerged in his efforts at social criticism and political philosophy." However, Brody commended the cast performances—particularly Dean's, of which he wrote: "If nothing else, the movie would have assured her stardom; there’s no telling how many characters and films her death foreclosed before their conception."[40]

Armond White, in a critical review for National Review, talks about the substitution of concepts in Triangle of Sadness: "Östlund extends his Euro-Marxism into a second-rate allegory about third-world exploitation: An insulting subplot features the ship's Filipino toilet manager (Dolly De Leon) turning the tables on the rich, feckless whites, yet emulating their decadence (Parasite, Part II). Östlund bungles the political, spiritual, and moral lessons of such classics about chaos as Luis Buñuel's Exterminating Angel, Antonioni's L'Avventura, and Godard's Weekend." White sums up his review calling Östlund "just a misanthrope and a fraud."[41]

entertainment

i just watched the triangle of sadness. pretty good. i see it made some american critics really angry and defensive which makes me like it more.

Richard Brody, in a critical review for The New Yorker, described Triangle of Sadness as "a movie of targeted demagogy that pitches its facile political stances to the preconceptions of the art-house audience; far from deepening those ideas or challenging those assumptions, it flatters the like-minded viewership while swaggering with the filmmaker’s presumption of freethinking, subversive audacity." Brody described Östlund's direction as "precise but stiff" and criticised the film's emphasis on social commentary: "[Östlund's] keen observations are submerged in his efforts at social criticism and political philosophy." However, Brody commended the cast performances—particularly Dean's, of which he wrote: "If nothing else, the movie would have assured her stardom; there’s no telling how many characters and films her death foreclosed before their conception."[40]

Armond White, in a critical review for National Review, talks about the substitution of concepts in Triangle of Sadness: "Östlund extends his Euro-Marxism into a second-rate allegory about third-world exploitation: An insulting subplot features the ship's Filipino toilet manager (Dolly De Leon) turning the tables on the rich, feckless whites, yet emulating their decadence (Parasite, Part II). Östlund bungles the political, spiritual, and moral lessons of such classics about chaos as Luis Buñuel's Exterminating Angel, Antonioni's L'Avventura, and Godard's Weekend." White sums up his review calling Östlund "just a misanthrope and a fraud."[41]
Thought it was hilarious. Force Majeure, another one of his, is also pretty good.

sus

Return of the King is hot garbage with a top-ten stupidest deus ex machina of all time. Ranking that over Fellowship is a war crime. Never understood the entry-level-hipster-politic move of ranking Empire over New Hope; ep IV has an emotional warmth, storyteller's faith, and aesthetic coherence that V falls short of.

sus

Attack of the Clones is the best Star Wars film but we can talk about that another time.

Rich, how have you never heard of Letterboxd? You should buid up a presence.

I liked Triangle of Sadness, but remember the final act dragging. Think I preferred The Square? I always wish he'd be a little more subtle, I think. Maybe that's not as important as I think it is.

sus

Opening shot: we get just the shoulders of the black-leather motorcycle jacket Nomi makes her trademark. There’s cowboy fringe across the shoulders and arms; the Sierra Nevadas are her backdrop as she struts down Carson City streets, and by the film’s final scene, she’ll have added a cowboy hat. This is a Wild West film: a new sheriff strolls into town, etcetera etcetera. But for now she’s just hitchhiking.

luka

i thought Gus would like Triangle of Sadness for the way the bleating drip of a male lead is constantly emasculated and undermined by evil conniving ball-busting women.

• Haha
Reactions: sus

luka

i thought his bleating sad sack performance was fantastic. i really liked the Russian fertiliser baron, the influencer girlfriend, the filipino survivalist.... i liked the lack of subtlety. it's not supposed to be a refined critique of capitalism, it's a cartoon. like hogarth.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Haven't seen triangle of sadness, I liked force majeure though

I did feel a bit like those critics did about a few films I saw recently-- the menu and the worst person in the world

Satires of how horrible rich/young people are that are so cartoonish that there's really no bite to them at all

I wanted to do a thread about this, or around this, but never quite pinned it down in my head - the proliferation of "types" stuff online. Where certain cultural markers are used to 'nail' a type of person and dismiss them.

And the need to feel ironically detached from everything you like so you don't get nailed.

Anyway that's off topic

luka

One of the more entertaining critics out there

Almost guaranteed to shit on anything other critics like

Probably worth reading on "Barbie"
it's such a pompous review and so far off the mark you feel sure he must just be doing 'a bit'

i thought his bleating sad sack performance was fantastic. i really liked the Russian fertiliser baron, the influencer girlfriend, the filipino survivalist.... i liked the lack of subtlety. it's not supposed to be a refined critique of capitalism, it's a cartoon. like hogarth.
I liked it a lot too but thought they could have lopped off the couple intro in the city completely, started on the boat and said what they needed to say cos I felt no investment in those two

luka

i liked the casting just cos it was entertaining and the meal helped define the relationship between the two of them. i agree the film was a bit too long though.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
In MC Heimer meme form pls

Who isn’t up for some nuclear cgi but unfortunately, whatever the film is, ‘Oscar film‘ writ large down the flanks means a hypocritical pc subtext about learning from historic errors will keep poking you throughout

A Dune 2 is round the corner, couldn’t give a toss about it either, let alone write a review for fuckin nerds

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
In MC Heimer meme form pls

Who isn’t up for some nuclear cgi but unfortunately, whatever the film is, ‘Oscar film‘ writ large down the flanks means a hypocritical pc subtext about learning from historic errors will keep poking you throughout

A Dune 2 is round the corner, couldn’t give a toss about it either, let alone write a review for fuckin nerds
Apparently Oppenheimer doesn’t use CGI, at least that’s what I heard Nolan say in an interview. Pretty sure it’s shot in film too, maybe even 70mm, but I could be mistaken.