The internet's impact on music megathread

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I'll do volume 1

Phil Collins - You can't hurry love (dated blue eyed posh soul cover.)

Duran Duran - Is There Something I should know (banal arena rock. dated!)

ub40 - red red wine (classic!)

Limahl - Only for Love (kitsch. dated.)

Heaven 17 - Temptation (classic.)

kc and the sunshine band - Give it Up (classic but massively overplayed.)

Malcolm Mcclaren - Double Dutch (absolute toilet!)

Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of the Heart (classic.)

Culture Club - Karma Chameleon (dated if charming, as is everything Boy George was involved with.)

Men Without Hats - Safety Hats (probably one of the worst pop songs ever written.)

Kajagoogoo - too shy (even more nonce kitsch.)

Mike Oldfield - Moonlight Shadow (diabolically dated but vaguely charming.)

Men at Work - Down Under (minor classic.)

Rock Steady Crew - Hey You (Rock Steady Crew) (classic.)

Rod Stuart - Baby Jane (kill kill kill kill.)

Paul Young - Wherever I lay my hat (average.)

New Edition - Candy Girl (good but dated...)

Kajagoogoo - Big apple (emotional nonce kitsch, dated.)

Tina Turner - Let's stay together (not one of her best but ok.)

The Human League - Fascination (classic.)

Howard Jones - New Song (dated.)

UB 40 - Please Don't Make me Cry (good.)

Peabo Bryson & Roberta Flack - Tonight I celebrate my Love (bit too much of a soppy balad for the whiteboys here.)

Tracey Ullman - They don't know (average, minor classic, but dated.)

Will Powers - Kissing with confidence (more noncecore, really, really dated...)

Genesis - That's All (makes you think they were better when they were making 2 hour pretentious rock operas with Peter fucking Gabriel. dated.)

The Cure - The Love Caps (rinky dinky boingy boingy british ska rubbish A Forrest is a classic though.)

Simple Minds - Waterfront (average, but ok.)

Madness - The Sun and the Rain (chelsea shed ted noncecore.)

Culture Club - Victims (Boy George in full whiteboy soppy I'm so misunderstood mode here.)

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I am enjoying this ^^^

But what are you disagreeing with? The article or did I say pop music wasn't as good now or something? I think the article is saying that it's harder for record companies to create stars now because of the volume of music being released and the lack of the old consensus forming channels?

The top 40 has always been full of dreck, for sure, but it was probably a bit more diverse in terms of weirdo entrants

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I am enjoying this ^^^

But what are you disagreeing with? The article or did I say pop music wasn't as good now or something? I think the article is saying that it's harder for record companies to create stars now because of the volume of music being released and the lack of the old consensus forming channels?

The top 40 has always been full of dreck, for sure, but it was probably a bit more diverse in terms of weirdo entrants

record companies have never been interested in quality of music, only what sells in that specific temporal moment. why do we need to fetishise them?

There's basically no cannonic new york electro/rap on that ntm vol 1 comp, despite it coming out in 1983. The reason? Because it had the power to make myth, and retroactively became a cornerstone of the 80s pop canon.

Most people who became stars were crap. simple as.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
A lot of people will tell you they were listening to jah shaka and king tubby in 1985, but no, not when they were 7-8 years old.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen

bass

genuinely appalling for 18months but something, some neural finger coordination pathway, has grown and old rhythm guitar power chords of yesteryear reappeared as octaves roots

it’s weird in that I always borrowed my brother’s guitar to sneak a practice on when he was out, yet the muscle memory returned (down Tea, down) without too much actual work

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Fair enough. That's a good point – I'm not weeping over the death of major labels so much as questioning what effect this huge volume and speed of music production has on music as a whole.

Also can't help but notice on that list you've just posted there's quite a few tunes you consider classic. Would that be a case on a Now 2022 compilation?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Fair enough. That's a good point – I'm not weeping over the death of major labels so much as questioning what effect this huge volume and speed of music production has on music as a whole.

Also can't help but notice on that list you've just posted there's quite a few tunes you consider classic. Would that be a case on a Now 2022 compilation?

dunno, don't care. I'm marxist enough not to pine for an ideal childhood, unlike Luke. If there's something I can continue to get out of pop music, I'll reengage with it again. But not at the moment.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Tim Finney/Oliver Craner type poptimism is pretty horrifying and quasi-fascist in this regard, always demanding you are glued into the pleasure matrix. I don't want to be glued into the pleasure matrix 24-7, no thank you. Only sad basket cases who believe in redemptive healing want that. I am in touch with all my feelings, from suave, elegant and sophisticated, to facile, joy, to deep despair.

craner

Beast of Burden
Tim Finney/Oliver Craner type poptimism is pretty horrifying and quasi-fascist in this regard, always demanding you are glued into the pleasure matrix. I don't want to be glued into the pleasure matrix 24-7, no thank you. Only sad basket cases who believe in redemptive healing want that. I am in touch with all my feelings, from suave, elegant and sophisticated, to facile, joy, to deep despair.

I didn’t catch this slander the first time around

version

https://www.theg*ardian.com/music/2023/dec/11/viral-hit-tiktok-gen-z-mother-ladytron-keane-miguel

That Tom Petty tune in the GTA trailer's gotten a big boost. Loads of comments on YouTube from young people about how Rockstar just gave him a new generation of fans.