Inventing Sounds Way Ahead of Historical Schedule

IdleRich

IdleRich
Talking of which there was a Canned Heat track up above but it doesn't display for me - I'm assuming it's "On the Road Again"? There is something motorik about it (although "On the Road" is only few years earlier than the Neu! sound's emergence, so it's not such an amazing feat of prophecy).

It's not actually... it doesn't display for me in dissensus but if you click to get the address you can go to it on YouTube.

It is an amazing song, that high, thin, lonesome vocal - I have wondered if there's anything else as good in the Canned Heat discog, never found anything, but not really delved that deep.

Funny you should say that, there was one I really liked but could never find. It reminded me of I Feel Love somehow, I thought it was a version of Rolling and Tumbling but when I listened to that it wasn't the right thing

Edit - thought I posted this yesterday but didn't press it apparently

blissblogger

Oh here it is:

Inventing Threads Ahead of Historical Schedule

Should imagine the phenomenon of thread-retread is going to become more common as the forum's years stack up

I already find that I blog something and then discover that I blogged about the exact same stumbled-upon videoclip several years earlier -- rather often, similar sort of phrases and thoughts occur. The well-worn grooves of the brain!

Also something to do with the erosion of short-term memory in the age of infoblitz and social-media-churn. In one case, the gap between first-blog and second-blog was only a couple of years!

IdleRich

IdleRich
Quite often I find myself writing something only to discover I've already written the exact sane thing earlier in the same thread.

The worrying thing is in real life, how many groan inwardly when though begin your 'new' anecdote...

tomfun

Muslimgauze in 1984/85 invents whatever this is, a friend of mine pointed out that the drums are from the b-side of Big Daddy Kane's "Raw" cos you can hear the doubled up kick and 808 kick, which is from 87, but I can't find any evidence that the drum sample used to make Raw was even available until 1988 anyway, and Raw clearly was made in 1987, so It must have been somewhere. Twitch assured me that Bryn would have had no reason to lie to him about when he made the track when i asked him about. Maybe there was a weird stereo split of the bobby byrd track with the drums panned over to one side or something.

william_kent

Must be loads of libraries and osts that fit.

from the proto "Inventing Sounds Way Ahead of the Historical Schedule" thread - proto"Villalobos influenced minimal techno" featured on a 1980 library album

René Roussel - Caramel

I would dismiss this as Villalobos influenced minimal techno featuring generic house chords with a bit of Detroit / Red Planet styled jazz noodling thrown in towards the end.. but it's from 1980..

reminds me of this top trumps* card deck I bought last year or maybe the year before and that I have never found anyone who wants to play...

1670448613642.png

* presuming copyright issues entailed calling it "pop" trumps

Last edited:

william_kent

What are the categories?

let's play - you were dealt ( I've just pulled this card out at random ):

CONTROFASSE - ENNIO MORRICONE

1670452748355.png

Year: 1973
Rarity: 5
Mint value: £200
Sample Score: 2
Synching Feeling: 2
Wacky Factor: 7

and, a random pull, I've been dealt:

JUNGLE OBSESSION - NINO NARDINI / ROGER ROGER

1670452865001.png

what's your pick @IdleRich?

edit; I can see now that this won't really work, but here's the stats for "Jungle Obsession":

Year: 1971
Rarity: 4
Synching Feeling: 4
Wacky Factor: 5

I'd probably have gone for "mint value" for my card, but if you'd done the same we'd have tied - i feel like "wacky factor" would have you victorious on this round

Last edited:

william_kent

re: library music top trumps... the instructions give no indication as to what "synching feeling" even means, but here's how the scoring goes:

Year: earliest wins
Rarity: highest wins
Mint Value: highest wins
Sample Score: highest wins
Synching Feeling: highest wins
Wacky Factor: highest wins

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
let's play - you were dealt ( I've just pulled this card out at random ):

CONTROFASSE - ENNIO MORRICONE

View attachment 13713

Year: 1973
Rarity: 5
Synching Feeling: 2
Wacky Factor: 7

and, a random pull, I've been dealt:

JUNGLE OBSESSION - NINO NARDINI / ROGER ROGER

View attachment 13714

what's your pick @IdleRich?

edit; I can see now that this won't really work, but here's the stats for "Jungle Obsession":

Year: 1971
Rarity: 4
Synching Feeling: 4
Wacky Factor: 5

I'd probably have gone for "mint value" for my card, but if you'd done the same we'd have tied - i feel like "wacky factor" would have you victorious on this round
It doesn't say who did it - but I think Jungle Obsession is Nardini... if you pick year is earlier better?⁰

Benny Bunter

What was that mad proto acid techno Indian thing from the 70s or something that got rediscovered and reissued a few years back? Everyone went a bit mad over it but I can't remember whether it was any good or not