Short Films - suggestions and help

IdleRich

IdleRich
Just a reminder, I am still looking for short films. Keep em coming guys, I will check yours @Clinamenic cheers.

I've just remembered one that my friends made that somehow I totally forgot to show before... it also has a great story attached to it.

About ten years ago this couple I know decided to make their own low-budget version of The Wickerman for some reason. There were only two of them so they had to bulk things out with a variety of puppets - including a seductively stripped Barbie on strings to do the famous dance scene...

The thing that made it interesting however is they actually travelled to the location (is it called Summer Isle or something) to film it. On the way there they stopped in a service station for food or whatever and got chatting to a guy there who had asked what they were up to.

Miraculously it turned out that the bloke they were talking to was one of the very few people in the UK who had his own sea place and a licence to fly it, and so he agreed to jazz up their zero budget short film by flying them to the island for real and landing in the harbour just as in the original.

rubberdingyrapids

Theres an 80s film called Aria. Has directors make music videos for famous arias. Godard (this one is maybe the funniest, tho today would likely be accused of sexism for all the nudity), julien temple and jarman have some good ones. Most of them are good actually. The roeg one is prob the weakest.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I need to fill in the films for last two months before I forget.

Month Seven
Er

Month Eight
Wicker Man (Taylor and Ward)
House Walk Through (PiroPito)
Jabberwocky (Jan Svankmaijer)
The Last Theft (Jiri Barta)
7 x 7 Facts (Tom Di Roes)

Thanks for tip on Last Theft @Clinamenic, we found it with the right sound and it was exactly what we're after plus went down well.

We showed a Svankmaijer which is a little bit more mainstream than normal... but the most dissensus one, and which I think a number of you might like is House Walk Through - a horror in the vaguest of senses, but really a kind of unsettling creeping unease built through repetition and minor variation.

IdleRich

IdleRich
The Wicker Man remake above is a funny one. It was made by some people I know vaguely but somehow I forgot to show it until now. This couple are huge fans of the original film and they decided to travel to Summerisle and shoot their own two person (augmented by puppets) silent version on Super 8 with extracts of the legendary soundtrack playing in the background. The credits show that it was Sindy who filled in during the famous dance scene and a Playmobil policeman met a terrible fiery death.

It used many of the original locations but was shot on a minimal budget although it was made to look more expensive by a truly stunning stroke of luck. On their way to Summerisle they stopped in a service station and got chatting to someone in the restaurant. They happened to tell him what they were doing and mentioned they weren't sure how they would shoot the first scene where the policeman arrives by seaplane. This guy replied to say "I'm actually one of the twelve people in the UK with a licence to fly a seaplane and who has my own one - fuck it, I'll fly you in".

And so the first scene of this cheap film has Graham dressed as Edward Woodward dressed as a policeman, from the cockpit of a seaplane as it flies into and lands in the harbour of Summerisle.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I need to fill in the films for last two months before I forget.

Month Seven
Er

Month Eight

Thanks for tip on Last Theft @Clinamenic, we found it with the right sound and it was exactly what we're after plus went down well.

We showed a Svankmaijer which is a little bit more mainstream than normal... but the most dissensus one, and which I think a number of you might like is House Walk Through - a horror in the vaguest of senses, but really a kind of unsettling creeping unease built through repetition and minor variation.

Month Seven
Possibly in Michigan (1983)
Unedited Footage of a Bear (2014)
Over (2020)
The Sitter (1977)
The Fall (2019)
Wolf in Dude's Clothing (2021)
Dobro vece
Bedford UK Town Centre (1985)

IdleRich

IdleRich
The below is a really good little film, we already have plenty of animation this time so I'm not gonna show it (though maybe in January it will fit) but if you have six minutes spare i heartily recommend this

IdleRich

IdleRich
And here are the films we watched this month, I always put em in this thread for my benefit in case I need to refer to them later, and also for anyone who is interested to know what we showed for any reason.
As usual we showed a total mashup of styles and eras with some films that are brand new and a couple that are more than a hundred years old; we mixed up animation with live action; coloured image with the colourised and silence with sounds. And some of that silence was in English, some in French and some in Czech... and a bit of a departure this time we even showed a couple of fairly mainstream things, one featuring Hollywood stars.

Cream (David Firth 2014)
Death and Faxes (Erbil Shaban 2022)
Krabi (Vaclav Mergl 1976)
Le Spectre Rouge (Julienne Mathieu 1907)
The Mystery of the Leaping Fish (Tod Browning 1916)
Laboratory Conditions (Jocelyn Stampat 2016)

Anyway, it's getting harder and harder every time to find suitable films (although this time Iwe have had a few suggestions from attendees including films made by them so that might help us out a little) so if you have any suggestions please keep em coming.

IdleRich

IdleRich
In fact here is the complete list of films we have shown so far....

Month One Test Night (December 2022)
La Cabina (Antonio Mercero)
The Mascot (Starewicz)
Meshes of the Afternoon (Maya Deren)
Visa de Censure X (Pierre Clementi)

Month 2 (April 2023)
The Black Tower (John Smith)
Life in the XXIst Century (Iosu Vakerizzo)
La Fee Sanginuaire (Roland Lethem)
Foetal Attraction (Roz Gomersall)

Month 3 (May 2023)
Curfew (Shawn Christensen)
An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge
Long Live the WACP (Iosu Vakerizzo)s c
Street of Crocodiles (Brothers Quay)
Le Grand Depart (Martial Raysse)

Month 4 (June) 2023)
Peter the Penguin (Andrew Rutter)
The Chair (Curry Barker)
12.01 (Jonathan Heap)
The Cat With Hands (Robert Morgan)
Still Life (John Knautz)
Still (Oliver Park)

Month 5 (July 2023)
Invocation of My Demon Brother (Kenneth Anger)
Pioniri maleni (Zelimir Zilnic)
The Tesla World Light (Matthew Rankin)
Mynarski Death Plummet (Matthew Rankin)
Stalled (Matt Black)
Bobby Yeah (Robert Morgan)
Lucifer Rising (Kenneth Anger)

Month 6 (Aug 2023)
Two Cars, One Night (Taika Waititi)
God View (Billy Lumby)
Deeper Than Yesterday (Ariel Kleiman)
Logorama (François Alaux, Hervé de Crecy & Ludovic Houplain)
Somniphobia (Dillon Vibbart)

Month 7 (Sept 2023)
Possibly In Michigan (Cecelia Condit)
Unedited Footage of a Bear (Ben O'Brian and Alan Resnick)
Over (J Threlfall)
The Sitter (Fred Walton)
The Fall (Jonathan Glazer)
Wolf In Dude's Clothing (Solmund MacPherson)
Dobra Vece (Aleksandar Davic)
Bedford UK Town Centre 1985 (Unknown)

Month 8 (Oct 2023)

Month 9 (Dec 2023)
Cream (David Firth 2014)
Death and Faxes (Erbil Shaban 2022)
Krabi (Vaclav Mergl 1976)
Le Spectre Rouge (Julienne Mathieu 1907)
The Mystery of the Leaping Fish (Tod Browning 1916)
Laboratory Conditions (Jocelyn Stampat 2016)

IdleRich

IdleRich
Films from today while I remember (I'll fill in the directors later)

Midnight Parasites playing in background at the start

Dead Times (Laloux & Topor) 9 min
Asparagus (Suzan Pitt) 18 min
The Dancing Pig (Millard Mercury) miss4 min

-- intermission --

The Sudden and Premature Death of Colonel K (Milos Radovic) 5 min
This House Has People In It (Alan Resnick) 12 min
Caca Mills (Jennifer Keegan)12 min

-- intermission --

The Disappearance of Willie Bingham (Matthew Richards) 12min
Klub Odlozenych (Jiri Barta) 24 min