Short Films - suggestions and help

IdleRich

IdleRich
Cheers mate, I saw you repping a Bollywood remake or similar called Bobby, sounds interesting. I guess it wouldn't be a problem if you haven't seen the original?

catalog

No not at all, it plays in a lot of tropes from bollywood in general. Though of course if yoh have seen the original film, it makes it better. But I've no idea how you'll get hold of that one.

IdleRich

IdleRich
If you get it can you send it me.
Of course. Do you know director etc? Gimme what info you got and I'll ask this guy. I've been ordering from him for about twenty years, and he's like the dealer of last resort or something - so if nobody else can find it I go to him and in that period he has failed maybe three or four times. The copies are dodgy, if it's not released with subs he does them himself, I guess he has people working for him cos he translates from about 20 languages.

He writes in this very formal, old-fashioned style, so I like to imagine this absolute maniac living in some decrepit mansion, every room stacked from floor to ceiling with teetering piles of tapes, videos etc him clad in a shabby suit sitting in darkness in the great hall, his servant regularly winding through the labyrinth of cinematic apocrypha to top up his brandy which he sips from absently while frantically scribbling notes on the numerous films - two or three on each wall - being projected at any one time.

Though that may not be strictly accurate.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Anyway guys, with the honorable exception of the mighty @catalog I've not had any feedback on this promo vid. It's only 2 min long so it wouldn't ask too much of you, but any feedback - positive or negative - or really any thoughts about it at all would be of inestimable value to my associate Taras.

Do us a favour @Mr. Tea , @Leo , @version, @Clinamenic, @WashYourHands, , @williamkent and @shakahislop

And anyone else who fancies it of course - I would genuinely value any thoughts you have on this at all.

william_kent

I tried to watch it and had the same problem, but discovered that clicking the "picture in picture" icon ( second to right ) made it play as expected

IdleRich

IdleRich
That's odd... although it did freeze for me the first time and then was fine... maybe try again if you got time and you don't mind... what you thinking Will?

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Anyway guys, with the honorable exception of the mighty @catalog I've not had any feedback on this promo vid. It's only 2 min long so it wouldn't ask too much of you, but any feedback - positive or negative - or really any thoughts about it at all would be of inestimable value to my associate Taras.

Do us a favour @Mr. Tea , @Leo , @version, @Clinamenic, @WashYourHands, , @williamkent and @shakahislop

And anyone else who fancies it of course - I would genuinely value any thoughts you have on this at all.

fuck me that chicken got it

deffo works, specific themes and variety and phone boxes…… and most of all….. tits

IdleRich

IdleRich
fuck me that chicken got it
The chicken bit seems to me one of the neatest examples you could wish for of changing attitudes - in 1971 when that film was made I suppose you simply couldn't show an actual shot of a man getting his penis severed by a bloodthirsty fairy with a razor, so instead they opted for the not so subtle symbolism of cutting to a cockerel having its head cleaved from its body with a meat cleaver, before cutting back to the unfortunate man clutching his mutilated groin. Nowadays however, a scene in which a real animal is really killed on screen is far more likely to upset people. Out of everything I've shown, it was that scene that had me most worried about getting complaints.

And I guess I was sort of day-dreaming and I began to consider how I might cut out that scene without anyone noticing... and then I snapped out of it with a "what the fuck are you thinking?" - how had I gone from a dangerous rebel underground guerrilla film curator who is a constant thorn in the side of the establishment (I must have still been partially day-dreaming) to someone who was seriously considering literally bowdlerising a film to paternalistically protect the presumed sensibilities of some imagined audience member?

So I left it in, but it was a weird moment, cos I am totally anti-censorship and yet I'd found myself seriously considering it for what i guess I'd told myself were totally legitimate reasons. It also crossed my mind to avoid that problem altogether by simply not showing that film. But the thing is, I really wanted to show that film cos, after she cuts off his dobber you see her collection of labelled jars with penises in them. The labels say things such as Martin Luther King and Jimi Hendrix and then the final jar is, for some reason. labelled Salazar who was the Portuguese dictator. It was just so perfect to find a film that ended with a shot of his genitals, there was really no way I could justify not showing it.

IdleRich

IdleRich
There is in fact a sequel to the film The Bloodthirsty Fairie - it appears to go by two names, sometimes it is referred to as The Crazed Sex of The Bloodthirsty Fairie, and sometimes it is referred to rather more simply as The Red Cunt, Those are both great names for films and I'd be pretty keen to get my hands on it and show it at my film night, I'm pretty sure it can't miss with that title.

IdleRich

IdleRich
fuck me that chicken got ideffo works, specific themes and variety and phone boxes…… and most of all….. tits
I'm glad you think it works... but you do make a more fundamental point that I do need to address. It has to be said that considering the number of trash films I've shown, there has been a surprising - some might say disappointing - lack of tits and fundaments on screen. Still one never knows what the future might hold...

IdleRich

IdleRich
Ok another short film night has appeared on the horizon and as always I'm lost in a warren of short films, watching them like crazy to make the best possible selection. This time I thought I was pretty much there already, actually ahead of schedule for once... and then, selfishly, Kenneth Anger had to go and throw a spanner in the works by dying.

He's lived for like a hundred and fifty years and not once has he done this, but now suddenly he decides to go and do it at the worst possible time for me.

Anyway, thing is, I feel I ought to show at least one of his films, cos in some way, in my mind at least he is the spiritual forefather to the sort of films that we're showing. I suppose he's not the first person to make short films or even weird short films, but to me his whole ethos of subversive and psychedelic shorts aligns better with what I want to do than anyone else I can think of... so, yeah, Kenneth Anger tips I guess. Which film or films should I show? I pretty much never show two by the same guy in the same night but I might make an exception this time - if you were doing it which would you draw for?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Also, it's time, I need a better name than Idle Rich's Film Night, help me come up with a good name please!