Short Films - suggestions and help

IdleRich

IdleRich
I should call it Exploding Cinema?

I'm thinking of some pun like Sin-ema maybe

Or some alliterative thing - Psychedelic Surreal Cinema Saturdays... except it's on a Tuesday.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Ok so woops modestly messaged me his idea by fb - I like it and feel he deserves recognition for it, but maybe it's not quite there yet.

He suggested Matinee Idle - somehow I hadn't thought of punning Idle/idol here, but now I reckon it's the way to go.

Screen Idle? Ummm... keep em coming guys, there has to be a killer there somewhere.

IdleRich

IdleRich
How about Silver Screen Idle?

Or I'm thinking about something like Sin-ema?

In fact I have a few ideas, the other is making it alliterative like Psychedelic Psurreal Psinema...

It feels like I have made a few almost ideas in the half-bakery but I don't quite know how to complete them

IdleRich

IdleRich
Still looking for a name for this event, but regardless of that, I feel that this was the best one yet, it seems I'm starting to build a bunch of regulars who understand and support what I'm trying to do, and that they are augmented by curious regulars who.... well, who at least don't hate it.
This time the films were...

Invocation of My Demon Brother (Kenneth Anger)
Pioniri maleni (Zelimir Zilnic)
The Tesla World Light (Matthew Rankin)
Mynarski Death Plummet (Matthew Rankin)
Stalled (Matt Black)
Bobby Yeah (Robert Morgan)
Lucifer Rising (Kenneth Anger)

invocation.jpeg

TeslaOne.jpeg

Mynarski_death_plummet.jpg

BobbyYeahOne.jpeg

bobbyYeahTwo.jpg

luciferRising.jpeg

I also feel that, having done it a few times, I am now just that bit more confident in introducing the films and the night as a whole.... perhaps it was made that much easier by my impenetrable disguise. I think that knowing that no-one there had any idea that it was me speaking just gave me that little bit of extra confidence to slow down from my usual speed - I'm beginning to realise that my peculiar slurred motormouth speaking style is less than ideal for native speakers, never mind those from other countries* and, with my face hidden like this...

RichDisguise.jpg

... I felt able to speak more slowly and at greater length. I think some of the people may have understood some of what I said.

This month I am going to launch my long threatened/promised newsletter thing, so, if anyone wants to join that, feel free to pm me with your email address. And if anyone wants to contribute any kind of writing on film at all that would be more than welcome of course.

*I made a quick informal count of nationalities present and I came up with: English, Portuguese, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Polish, Italian, Austrian, Dutch, Indian,

Attachments

• luciferRising.jpeg
    luciferRising.jpeg
    7.8 KB · Views: 2

IdleRich

IdleRich
Just cos I need a record

Month One
La Cabina (Antonio Mercero)
The Mascot (Starewicz)
Meshes of the Afternoon (Maya Deren)
Visa de Censure X (Pierre Clementi)

Month 2
The Black Tower (John Smith)
Life in the XXIst Century (Iosu Vakerizzo)
La Fee Sanginuaire (Roland Lethem)
Foetal Attraction (Roz Gomersall)

Month 3
Curfew (Shawn Christensen)
An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge
Long Live the WACP (Iosu Vakerizzo)s c
Street of Crocodiles (Brothers Quay)
Le Grand Depart (Martial Raysse)

Month 4
Peter the Penguin (Andrew Rutter)
The Chair (Curry Barker)
12.01 (Jonathan Heap)
The Cat With Hands (Robert Morgan)
Still Life (John Knautz)
Still (Oliver Park)

Month 5
Invocation of My Demon Brother (Kenneth Anger)
Pioniri maleni (Zelimir Zilnic)
The Tesla World Light (Matthew Rankin)
Mynarski Death Plummet (Matthew Rankin)
Stalled (Matt Black)
Bobby Yeah (Robert Morgan)
Lucifer Rising (Kenneth Anger)

IdleRich

IdleRich
Jarman’s The Art of Mirrors because it’s sublime (whoever added the music have a word with yourselves)

Journey to Avebury, for the sepia-toned hues and you could add Coil’s track with same name for brevity

One guy I know very little about is Jarnan. Do you know if there is somewhere where I can watch a load of his stuff and make a decision?
Certainly the ones you suggest do look interesting and are both possible options but I'd like to educate myself better on him even if they are simply the best ones.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
The 2 listed are the picks among his shorter, experimental works. Add Pirate Tape which YT has segments of, but in a rare moment of serendipity has the whole work too (anyone with alt takes on the provenance of this work step in by all means). Reminiscent of Ghosts at Number 9

Catalan might work, bit too short

Ghosts at No9 is worth a shout too tbh, heavy dissonance

IdleRich

IdleRich
Perfect thanks

Also I really mean it about getting people involved. Each time I've done it I have got a different DJ and I'm getting more and more people making suggestions, with at least one person asking to curate a night.

When it looked as though I had to find a new venue several people proactively went looking for me which was a really big deal, it felt as though people were genuinely invested which is exactly what I want.

And if any Dissensians want to contribute at all that would be something else

IdleRich

IdleRich
I dunno if I ever mention Ed this video we made...

Apparently some Italian band saw the clip, they think it's ace They - Patria Sacra they're called I think - want to use it for their new song. I dunno If we will get paid but we will get exposure and we can insist they include the info for my night ie it will work as a giant advert for us. Fuck yeah!

I don't know what style it is or anything, in fact I don't really care either - for what it's worth I believe the track is called Stermina i Parassiti. That's pretty fucking cool right?

IdleRich

IdleRich
I've realized that I never recorded the last set of films we showed. I will put them here before I forget...

TWO CARS, ONE NIGHT
GOD VIEW
DEEPER THAN YESTERDAY
LOGORAMA
SOMNIPHOBIA

Anyway, after a month's hiatus we are back on the 27th, hopefully with a bang. Always looking for tips on films and so on of course.

shakahislop

I've realized that I never recorded the last set of films we showed. I will put them here before I forget...

TWO CARS, ONE NIGHT
GOD VIEW
DEEPER THAN YESTERDAY
LOGORAMA
SOMNIPHOBIA

Anyway, after a month's hiatus we are back on the 27th, hopefully with a bang. Always looking for tips on films and so on of course.
there's a load of suggestions in the perverts thread

sufi

lala
I saw a lovely film years ago about a family in the favela who win a red sports car, i can't remember the name of the (brazilian i think) film or even the make of the car but (spoiler but not really) they end up living in it
ring a bell at all?

IdleRich

IdleRich
This month's selections

Month 7

Possibly In Michigan (Cecelia Condit)
Unedited Footage of a Bear (Ben O'Brian and Alan Resnick)
Over (J Threlfall)
The Sitter (Fred Walton)
The Fall (Jonathan Glazer)
Wolf In Dude's Clothing (Solmund MacPherson)
Dobra Vece (Aleksandar Davic)
Bedford UK Town Centre 1985 (Unknown)

IdleRich

IdleRich
Adding in directors from last month

Month 6

Two Cars, One Night (Taika Waititi)
God View (Billy Lumby)
Deeper Than Yesterday (Ariel Kleiman)
Logorama (François Alaux, Hervé de Crecy & Ludovic Houplain)
Somniphobia (Dillon Vibbart)