linebaugh

the drawn out feedbacky, poorly played blues esque jam attached to this one is very VU. its a great formula tbf. more bands should do it. VU barely did it enough themselves

Benny Bunter

Anyone ever listened to any of Verlaine's solo albums? IIRC Woebot did a breakdown of them on one of his blogs but I never got round to checking them out.

version

Anyone ever listened to any of Verlaine's solo albums? IIRC Woebot did a breakdown of them on one of his blogs but I never got round to checking them out.

I was listening to this instrumental one the other night, but I've never properly checked out his solo stuff.

Leo posted a fun solo thing of his in Choon of the Day last night.

very un-Television, almost Disco not Disco.

Benny Bunter

I do feel like Richard Lloyd should get much more credit for the greatness of Marquee moon. This is a good read if you're geeky about how albums are made, like me

jenks

thread death
I’ve got a really good live album from a London show in 82. In the sleeve notes he said he wanted to put it out to show he didn’t need to rely on Lloyd to make that distinctive sound. Felt a bit churlish to say. But it has got some fantastic tracks in it and is a reminder his solo stuff straight after Television was on it.

Benny Bunter

I'll have to investigate more, only ever listened to MM, and Adventure once I think and thought that was rubbish.

They'd been playing/developing the songs live off that 1st album for years before they recorded it, that's a big factor too in how it turned out so good.

Benny Bunter

'I put on Television's 'Little Johnny Jewel' and couldn't believe that they had the nerve to record it.. It made the New York Dolls sound like Yes - the bass had no bass, the guitars had no power at all and the singing was awful. In fact the whole record was awful. And epic. And completely brilliant and we never stopped playing it.' Julian Cope, Head On

Benny Bunter

Sounds so much like (a more inept) Can that. Probably should have have waited another year before recording it, would have been truly amazing if they'd got it up to Marquee Moon levels of tightness

Benny Bunter

The other record that's a big precursor of Television/Verlaine is The Byrd's 8 miles high, going for a Coltrane thing with the guitar solos, failing gloriously.