Aging ("Ageing," to the obsolete)

sus

Really insane piece. It goes to show how much of discipline & punishment is introjected and self-inflicted.

there is a perpetual inner argument between what I like to think of as my superego and the voice of my defeated younger self. The first tells me in a firm voice, and rather witheringly, that I must not only swim forty lengths a day but the lengths must be swum according to a routine, alternately crawl and backstroke, and the backstroke evenly divided between the use of both arms moving simultaneously and then separately... When I do keep to all my rules, not just some of them, I put a tick in my diary to accompany the letters and numbers. And those aren’t the only self-imposed regulations. I have a 16-year-old knee replacement in each leg. Every morning I do the exercises that were prescribed by physiotherapists after the operations. There is probably no point in my doing them now, but if I miss doing them I feel ashamed, almost sinful. And then there are the pills and the eyedrops and remembering to charge my phone and my hearing aid. Could I ever have believed that completing these daily rituals would come to seem a moral obligation?

I mean look if ritual helps you, more power to you. But the shame and sense of sin? How do we escape this insane psychological regime of shame

sus

Stuck in a routine—both a mental set and a structure of habit—that she can't escape and can't justify and yet continues to rotely enforce; could we have asked for a better definition of aging? Thank you Version

DannyL

Wild Horses
BTW re. the thread in general. I feel like this with fucking GPT-4. I am not interested.
Douglas Adams said that anything invented after you're 35 is against the natural order of things. With GPT-4 he's right.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
the fear of aging, politically speaking, is another petit-bourgeois degenerecy.

Of course, many working class people have a fear of aging, just as many working class people are inclined to think within the gradiants of bourgeois society, and many workers are equally as likely to see themselves as necessarily being a proprietor (even if only of their own labour power.) Hence working class conservatism should never be dismissed — hello anarchism? (much less ridiculed) outright. Marx says as much. The working class is raised by capital to see through culture and habit the laws of the capitalist mode of production as overwhelmingly natural.

But it is within the middle classes that the anxiety of aging reaches an ungodly fever pitch, where the only way in which it can renew its feeble existence is through the clash of generations. You can see this in Ash Sarkar's grifting. She believes, like the typical university educated intellectual she is, that millennials are actually more progressive than their parents, which means nothing, because all views held by xyz individuals are always mutable and are unlikely ever to remain static.

craner

Beast of Burden
the fear of aging, politically speaking, is another petit-bourgeois degenerecy.

Of course, many working class people have a fear of aging, just as many working class people are inclined to think within the gradiants of bourgeois society, and many workers are equally as likely to see themselves as necessarily being a proprietor (even if only of their own labour power.) Hence working class conservatism should never be dismissed — hello anarchism? (much less ridiculed) outright. Marx says as much. The working class is raised by capital to see through culture and habit the laws of the capitalist mode of production as overwhelmingly natural.

But it is within the middle classes that the anxiety of aging reaches an ungodly fever pitch, where the only way in which it can renew its feeble existence is through the clash of generations. You can see this in Ash Sarkar's grifting. She believes, like the typical university educated intellectual she is, that millennials are actually more progressive than their parents, which means nothing, because all views held by xyz individuals are always mutable and are unlikely ever to remain static.

I am the epitome of the petit-bourgeois degenerate and this explains why I am obsessed with time.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I am the epitome of the petit-bourgeois degenerate and this explains why I am obsessed with time.

Maybe you can tell Muggs this?

corbyn/anti-corbyn, it's all a farce. He should stop reviving progressive house (indie for dance fans) and read theories of surplus value to a soundtrack of unrelenting speedcore, loftgroover/hms style.

luka

Do you fancy an essex night out @luka we could go Bas Vegas
yeah why not. ive been around a lot of kent people recently and have learned that they are just essex people without the flair. essex people with terrible clothes. essex people without the jokes.