wild greens

Some of these are definitely in the wrong places but it is a really big tune from the Mak10/Marcus set and then no-one could persuade Mega to put it out for ages I think. Numbers must have bunged him a little advance
Anyway was some futuristic shit at the time, this. Still got a pretty unique flow to it i think

Anyway another lad with chequered London music history

wild greens

Right lets try and get another couple over the line before the inevitable Unai Emery away masterclass at half 4. I think Oddz decided that Islam was better than making London pirate music and fair play tbh, can't hate the lad. Eastwood still knocking about every now and again, I remember him having a good funky CD (Copy N Burn- I do have it but it's not online) and pretty sure he played a few Deja-adjacent things in the funky days- I saw him somewhere in Stoke Newington with Shantie but I was pissed. What was the bar that Sting had on the high road, the name escapes me
Much like Last Man Standing being a "Spyro" tune, I always think of Eastwood "Tunnel" being a Mak10 tune, on loads of old Nasty sets and would feel off-key hearing it on someone else's sets, weirdly.

"Run" by Eastwood a great tune as well but can't find it online

Last edited:

wild greens

Two more Mak10/Nasty tunes from old old sets. I guess Jammer as well when he was a DJ. This was a lost EP for years- the test presses came out but something went fucked up with the release, so there are only 8-10 copies of the original knocking about. Anyway when grime was "back" briefly, DVS did come back and put this out but it had a different B side I think?

wild greens

Couple of Wiley instrumentals that don't really need much talking about because you all know them anyway probably. Still good to crowbar them in somewhere.

Special mention to this video of Blizzard Devils Mix being played at 45 (it was a 33 vinyl) because it makes it a very different tune for no real reason

wild greens

South London rap classic here, i will not have a word said against it.
There was loads of aggro at the time as John switched sides in the Peckham/Brixton beef- you can still see the argument being played out in the youtube comments on it, pointless road beef nostalgia
Anyway this was fucking massive when it dropped. So cold, great beat, loads of lads on the estate going mad in the background. The amateur hour rap era needs to come back tbh

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230212-174331.png
    Screenshot_20230212-174331.png
    834.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20230212-174352.png
    Screenshot_20230212-174352.png
    812.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20230212-174425~2.png
    Screenshot_20230212-174425~2.png
    668 KB · Views: 6

wild greens

It would be ridiculous to talk about London rap and all that without putting Ard Bodied in here, especially Track 9/Talking The Hardest. I can't pretend I was on it from the very start, I think I actually first heard the tune off RWD forum or VIP2 which is another story in itself I guess. There was also a period where Wiley uploaded it to myspace (!) which exposed it to the wider UK audience and all that. This was when there was the myspace downloader site and you could get the tune as a 320 if they'd uploaded it as a wav!
I was living in Lewisham at the time and as I said earlier on, rap was the dominant sound there really. There were a few little phone shops or whatever that had a little cabinet full of yank rap DVDs, a few London one; I remember one of them had some Blue Borough CD double pack that was so hard, but its been lost somewhere in the melee of early 2010s afters etc
Anyway, Ard Bodied was so hard to find for some reason. A little later on, SN1 had their shop in Peckham arcade so you could get good tapes in there, plus SN1 t-shirts, hats, baby grows...
But this was before then and I was lazy plus all the dealers were in Lewisham so why would I get the 136/436 to Peckham all the way for a CD. Anyway I managed to download it off some moody site but it was only a 128 so very little bass. But fucking hell its a good CD, pretty much every track bangs, the nihilism, Pain Is The Essence I have already posted. I may be jumbling up years but I feel like I was getting a lot of lemon then but occasionally a bit of ammy, my flat stunk of green, banging out Giggs and loads funky on Rinse/Deja, DJing at 140 because i didnt have enough funky for a full set yet, lashing loads of grime in. The neighbours must have loved me
As for the tracks, it's quite obvious to me that John Wayne tried to take the Dubz flow and jack it, though they have enough differences to stand out between themselves, but both him and Giggs do smash out the tape, it still holds up I think

Re: Talking The Hardest, if you weren't around at the time it's really hard to describe just how big it really was. This XL Recordings post isn't the original upload, it got pulled off youtube by Trident request if I remember right; Giggs couldn't get booked anywhere as the Form 696 meant he would get pulled off a line up. Every time I heard it out in the clubs it was just rewind rewind rewind. Madness really, very few tunes like it in my years going out; hard to imagine it happening again but then again I am getting older, it wouldn't resonate the same with me anyway

It's a shame it's been co-opted now- the first comment is "Boiler Room: All Stand For The National Anthem"
As if a youtube DJ channel started by Blaise fucking Belville and bought out by venture capital has any fucking clue about 2009 street relevance or whatever. Not that i can talk, I've been to loads and benefitted myself, but in retrospect these entities have helped remove something integral to the internal mechanism of the city. Its easy to observe as an quasi-outsider, if I was born in London the sense of loss would perhaps be even more acute

What a tune anyway. It's not really 19 should be higher, i just felt like writing about it right after the John Wayne one
Eventually i found the Ard Bodied CD on the little reggae stall in Lewisham market weirdly, not sure it was a real one, it looked so cheap but whatever that's half the point of it right

Last edited:

wild greens

19 - 18

Seeing as there's loads of old music in here- most of it just from 2007-2010, which is weird tbh but i guess that's just been the mood recently- let's try and get upto 15 with some new stuff from the last couple of years. As I'm on the road a lot you need a lot of different stuff floating about, get bored all the time, constant turnover. These are just rap and r&b tunes that seem to have lasted more than a few months which given my penchant for getting bored quickly means they must be decent

Cash Cobain & Chow Lee have got one really really good tape together and i could have picked loads from it but i do have Jenni & What You Think in more than one list and they never get skipped. So they're 19
18 is another Cash Cobain beat, very close to corpsey drill really but the sweetboy samples pre-date the new stuff I think? Music moves fast now.

wild greens

The numbering conventions in this thread are really confusing me tbh and I am the one making it. Feel like ive posted about 300 tunes in here

wild greens

I've never really figured out if this lad is real or whether its one of these arch conceptual things (bandcamp says "Ed Wartts... used new technology to explore the mysterious dimensions of love, destiny, and divinity – the plane of his alter ego, Mensah. Composed in his home studios from 1982–2000") but this song is like some deep stoned dream or whatever, very good.

Robbed it from a dam-funk playlist, can't pretend i found it myself. Well, i could

wild greens

That is a good point. I think i figured that i had to go on about Dubz after posting John Wayne/Johnny Guns as they have the same flow

It's a hard graft this you know. Oh well

catalog

Yeah sorry to be a pedant there, just didn't get it, thought I missed something.

Monumental achievement as everyone has said.

I wanna turn it into a one hour mix at some point but lord only knows when then will happen.