sus

emo was the dominant culture
Honestly that's kinda sick. Emo was definitely something that a handful of depressed girls and Latinos bonded over. like I said above, ours was country pop. The idea that it could be dominant culture never occured to me and totally rules.

sus

Great tags whoever's adding em. The tags have inspired me to push through and make a second post tonight. I think #12 will be Fiona Apple's cover of "Across the Universe," or maybe some Coldplay.

linebaugh

Why are Mexicans goth/emo? Is it a predictable byproduct of being lower caste?
its gotta be that. lower caste but still closer to white people than the less goth black americans so they assimilate some of the middle class angst and ennui

I love Mozart and classical music in general but I avoid talking about it on here because I'll get pilloried by various people.

I admire your courage in facing the firing squad. 🫡
I would love you to start a classical thread. And imagine you might have uncovered lots of be into too. I’m clueless. Please grow a set

• Haha
Reactions: sus

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I would love you to start a classical thread. And imagine you might have uncovered lots of be into too. I’m clueless. Please grow a set
I'd have some favorites there:

-Allegretto from Beethoven's 7th symphony
-Barcarolle from Tales of Hoffman
-Vitava theme (and the polka) from Die Moldau

Reactions: sus
Right, so.... that Cat's in the cradle song has a totally different meaning if you grew up in Northern Ireland in the 90's. Here the only context most people would know it in is as the soundtrack to a public information film/ advert encouraging the general public to use the informer hotline. You might think the lyrics are about a father not getting enough time with his son, but what it's really about is the son's dad joining the Ra (other alphabet gunmen are available), doing jail time, and for the son to join up himself when he grows up- hence the lyrics "you know I'm going be like you". Twenty years go by and the son is all grown up and a volunteer for the organisation, when he is machine gunned to death in a stairwell, where his murder is witnessed by his own son- the cycle of trauma is now passed onto the next generation. If only some dirty tout hadn't grassed everyone up to the filth, then none of this violence would ever have happened.

Now I know it's hard to watch with the appalling picture quality but this was actually pretty well made and was a big deal back then. If I remember correctly the singer licensed the song for free as he wanted to advance peace, when Van Morrison did a similar thing a few years later he of course charged a full fee. They only showed the more graphic adverts after the watershed. Despite the fact that Ireland is mostly a service economy, a decent portion of their GDP is got from making ultra violent road safety adverts that would make Sam Peckinpah blush. I like to think of the above advert as an early pioneer of the artform, and apoligise if this post has shattered any childhood memories of this song.

sus

I like to think of the above advert as an early pioneer of the artform, and apoligise if this post has shattered any childhood memories of this song.
No that's fantastic, thank you for sharing! I had no idea. Great hearing more about these songs. Recall which Van Morrison song?