what are the top 5 potential bad boy tunes?

blissblogger

Talking of "Jungle Fever", there is something uniquely feverish and humid about his sound, on tracks like "Let's Go" especially - you can almost see waves of vaporized moisture rippling of fit

and that's carries on to the great UK Garage tunes like this brittle jittery beauty

dilbert1

I guess I’ll just do 5 to swear by that aren’t posted yet

Love everything about this one, every single element, all the way thru, perfection

The flip to this is also completely amazing, but I love the dark sporadic and abrupt vibes here, some of the programming reminds me a bit of “Set Me Free” (maybe one of the same breaks)

Yeah “Time Tunnel” is total anarchic bliss and its unruly sampling of “Moments in Love” is epic but here’s another one where the flip is equal IMO, and I’m more partial to it. The main stab sequence is fucked, bassline very on point and nice pads later on

Maybe not a ton going on like usual but the sample selection is obviously totally brilliant. Brutal beat too.
Side note: how big was Akira in the UK at this time? Looks like it came out even a couple years after the American release, was Chris a complete nerd?

Gotta love the title “Hardcore Youth.” Off the Jungle Fever Remix EP, weighty, textbook form, again one where I just absolutely love it front to back.

dilbert1

c.m.c - release the energy/primitive - coming from the jungle (it's the same record, but got a remix fuckry between limited editions 4 and 11 if memory serves) blueprint scorching jungle techno!

CMC “Release the Energy” is the same tune as Primitive “Jungle Mayhem,” the flipside of “Coming from the Jungle,” fucking wicked one as well!

dilbert1

The little bit at 2:25 to 2:50 in Melody Mayhem pt 2 blows my mind. Don’t think I’ve ever heard that break in another tune, or maybe its just wildly edited

dilbert1

Fuck it, some more

This one’s both bangin and adorable, the marimba bit around 2min especially, weirdly gives the Good Morning Vietnam sample a cute edge. There’s also a snippet from the Harry Enfield show, something like “Can’t even sample it!” if someone across the pond knows and could clarify

Obv he was very competent in the soundclash jungle style, this one seems a bit overlooked, simple but effective heat and massive bassline

The lovey stuff he did with Chatta B as Underwolrd is ace, this is probably their best along with “Champion Sound”

“Work the Box” OG is definitely up there as an all-timer but I kind of personally like this remix at least as much or a little more

mvuent

Void Dweller
Warning (remix)
yeah that one's not quite on the top tier but still always liked it a lot especially the switch up at 1:22. made crazier by how you expect those first two "new" bars to settle in as the new beat but instead it just keeps contorting. you can't just listen to a few seconds of one of his tracks to gauge how good it is, he plays around too much, you have to hear the whole thing in case you miss something like that.

agree with wild greens—"brok wild" is my favorite one. the first minute or so, the way it opens with a huge burst of warm light, with everyone excited and shouting, etc. the b side is also great though, for basically the same reasons. messing with the "doubled" grooves you get in jungle in regular time and half time by having different sections emphasizing one or the other; uplifting, triumphant 70s soul sample that keeps reprising over new rhythmic structures.

maxi

there's a case for arguing he was the best hardcore producer, jungle producer and garage producer, which is a pretty astounding achievement.

my favourite is 'motherfuckin hustler (jungle mix 2)' which isn't on youtube, but I opened this tribute mix I made with it:

droid

there's a case for arguing he was the best hardcore producer, jungle producer and garage producer, which is a pretty astounding achievement.

my favourite is 'motherfuckin hustler (jungle mix 2)' which isn't on youtube, but I opened this tribute mix I made with it:

Ah here. There's an argument to be made that he wasn't even the best hardcore producer on Ibiza.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
different impulses. potential badboy is way more dub, jungle for huge ghetto
space arenas. noise factory is bedroom guttertronics. I'm not sure if they even operate in the same lane.

maxi

you can hear pre-echoes (to steal a blissblogger term ;)) of his 2 step stuff in some of the early hardcore ones, like with the organ stabs and minimalism in this around 2 mins in

blissblogger

"Vibes" = killa tune

that keening edge-of-hysteria vocal sample ("save the last dance for me... won't you save it for me") is such an archetypal jungle feeling, you don't get in any other kind of music - not even the most diva-fabulous house

flashes me back to the summer of '94