Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Scratching, another hip hop element that while far from extinct is pretty much irrelevant as far as mainstream hip hop music is concerned

I wonder if you get CDJ equivalents of turntablists

craner

Beast of Burden
Scratching, another hip hop element that while far from extinct is pretty much irrelevant as far as mainstream hip hop music is concerned

I wonder if you get CDJ equivalents of turntablists

It was resurrected by Geoff Barrow from Portishead.

At least, that's what Geoff says.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Started reading that book by the XL boss yesterday (it's got a simon reynolds quote on the back). Reminded me of this thread actually cos he talks about being a suburban b-boy type (as was liam howlett, apparently).

craner

Beast of Burden
Liam Howlett and DJ Hype both felt very dissatisfied with their own music in comparison to Only Built 4 Cuban Linx.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
93. Bembaya Jazz National - Tentemba
Can't quite believe I've got this far without posting any African music. Every one of these tunes is a miniature universe of scenes, singers, players. African music is no exception. Syllipone was the national label for cultural production in Guinea from the 60s through to the 80s. Everything I've heard on it has been incredible though the shifting cultural politics is kinda hidden to me due to the language barrier (i.e. one of the most famous songs on the label "Mandjou" by Salif Keita is a praise song for the dictator's wife). The music speaks for itself though.
I absolutely love this - not least the totally over-the-top sinister laughter about halfway through.

Dan, sorry if you've posted this at some point and I missed it, but you could post a choice cut from that amazing LP of traditional Japanese drumming that you've got (or anything in that vein, really), if there's any of it on YT?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
@DannyL, a sound that appeals to me a lot but which you no doubt know a lot more about than I do is that 1980s crossover between reggae, post-punk, industrial and hip-hop that centres around On-U and Adrian Sherwood. I think it deserves a thread of its own, and it seems like an appropriate time given that we've just lost Mark Stewart. Worth a thread by itself, separate from the one catalog started the other day, do you think?

DannyL

Wild Horses
@DannyL, a sound that appeals to me a lot but which you no doubt know a lot more about than I do is that 1980s crossover between reggae, post-punk, industrial and hip-hop that centres around On-U and Adrian Sherwood. I think it deserves a thread of its own, and it seems like an appropriate time given that we've just lost Mark Stewart. Worth a thread by itself, separate from the one catalog started the other day, do you think?
Yeah, totally. I know a few bits. I even fancied doing a mix of that sort of stuff at one time. In terms of reception, I think there's a difference between that more abrasive sound and dub which is black music proper. Third and Luka made a few comments in this thread which probably point to that difference in audience - white audiences sometimes seem to want a psychedelic version of black music with the vocals (i.e. meaning) stripped out. It's an interesting conundrum.

The Bug is probably the person whose been the most consistent with that sound. Killing Joke maybe as well?

DannyL

Wild Horses
I'd add I love his stuff but was a bit put off hearing him say once he doesn't like the sweeter, softer end of JA music which is a ridiculous thing to say.

@thirdform what do you make of The Bug?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
There's a White Reggae thread on Waxidermy which is the most heinous collection of musical atrocities ever assembled.
I assume you remember those parties at Josie's old flat, where at some point in the night/morning, the late and much lamented Alex Noble would invariably commandeer the stereo and put on that truly dreadful 'I Wanna Be A Billionaire' song (or whatever it was called) by Sublime? I guess technically that's more white ska than white reggae, but same difference in terms of abject awfulness.

mvuent

Void Dweller
My adventures in record collecting took me into the world of field recordings. Unsurprisingly a lot of the absolute best stuff came out of the Black American church.

86: Reverend Charlie Jackson - What A Time
Fuck I would've gone to church if I'd known it sounded like this. Some of his shit sounds like the Velvet Underground.

87. Moving Star Hall Singers - Talking Bout A Good Time
I mean, look at that cover. One of my all time favourite LPs that vindicates record collecting OCD.

88. Untouchable, we're not worthy etc etc. These kinda records make me wanna just junk everything and start all over again. I mean, why listen to anything else.
easy to forget how great music with a communal, open participation spirit can be.