william_kent

These clips are fucking wild. I'd seen the cup dance one before but a terrible copy. Mad to hear his voice.

i hate to disappoint you, but Shaka doesn't talk on that clip, it's one of the youth from "Young Lion Sound System" that's talking over that clip

william_kent

here's the Destiny tune Dub Judah talks about

Fabienne Miranda - Destiny

a "Shaka Killer"

she's best known for "Prophecy", but Shaka was always about the "deep cuts"

Fabienne was an interesting lady, unfortunately she passed away a couple of years ago...

one of my favourite labels, Jah Fingers aka Common Ground, reissued this "deep" "deep cut" of Destiny a couple of years ago

Tropical Energy featuring Fabienne Miranda - La Destinee
Faybienne-Miranda-old-253x300.jpg

Fabienne - R.I.P

DannyL

Wild Horses
Oh wow, heard that "deep cut" a while back (via Superfly in Paris), had no idea it was the same Fabienne as Prophecy.

william_kent

just for my own personal playlist, at least I may be able to find it again

Jah Shaka play Kunte Kinte duplate

me and a work colleague were once on a guestlist for a Mad Professor gig ( we'd provided the venue with broadband, nerd bizness ) and my work mate turned to me and said "let's go out for a spliff" but then I recognised a flute type sound and said to him "fuck no, kunte kinte" and then the bass landed... so we hung around for a bit and then we went outside for a smoke and got blanked by the bloke from iration steppas but that was preferable to being stunk out inside by the operator from a north west Sound who reeked of garlic... true stories...

oh, yeah, the point of this post was Shaka playing the legendary dubplate... ( google Overnight Players if you want a copy, tip!, or just look slightly below.. second clip.... )

sometime in the last six months or so I picked up this 12 ( edit: the A side is the instrumental to the "monster tune" **** I posted in the Fatman vs Coxsone vs Shaka 1993 clip a few posts above where the ranking dread pimped out in a gregory hat dude loses it while his OG matey boy in the pink cap forgets all about cool , B side is Kunte Kinte in a dub wise style, chapter one an two... )

Overnight Players - Shaka pt 1 / 2

^^^^ monster tune as played by Shaka in 1993 at his last ever clash, see below for full detail... ****

Overnight Players - Kunte Kinte's Revenge pt 1 /2

killer kunte kinte dub versions, after the "fact"

edit: I should mention I've been "picking up" 12s on the Cha Cha label for years, and this is a total fake entry into the discography - this 12 didn't exist before 2022, "fuckery", etc., ( Cha Cha as a concern was only active in the 80s, etc., )

edit; while I'm at it, let's post the Revolutionaries versions:

The Revolutionaries - Kunte Kinte Dub plate version 1,2 & 3

and before someone chimes in with "Steve Mqueen" ( edit: I've deleted a rant here, after all, this isn't the thread for hate )

**** this was annoying me, I knew I had this tune on vinyl... had to dig around a bit to pull out the 7 inch and here it is, the "monster tune" from the Shaka "I and I won't clash no more" 1993 confrontation with Fatman and Coxsone ( I posted a clip somewhere above in this thread edit: and I've appended it to this post for my own convenience )

creole - jah creation

certified shaka killer, there's video proof on the previous page for what it's worth ( and immediately below, I stuck the footage of the clash at the bottom of this post for my own convenience ) , regardless of "technical hitch"

just so I don't have to search here's the moment where Shaka drops Creole Jah Creation and despite "technical 'itch" the crowd just goes wild.... and I've watched the full footage of this dance so I can guarantee that this is the liveliest the crowd gets, which means Shaka is the Warrior, King of the Zulu Nation, ... etc.,

version

Anyone know whether this is actually him? I've seen it uploaded as a Tubby tune called 'Zion Dub' a bunch of times too.

IdleRich

IdleRich
you never really contemplated a world without Shaka tbh. I mean of course he was human and mortal like the rest of us, but he seemed sci fi in his mystique. RIP legend.

Quite similar to what Liza said "I'm a white girl from Russia, couldn't be further from dub but when he came on the decks was like seeing god".

IdleRich

IdleRich
so here is one of my favourite Shaka clips, where he goes wild on the H & H echo, overdubbing The Twinkle Brothers in front of an audience who were there to see "someone else" at some odd showcase event, not his usual habitat
What exactly is this H&H thing?

IdleRich

IdleRich
It looks - sounds - really cool but I don't get how you use it with vinyl... well, I don't really get it at all but particularly that. Can you add echo to a vinyl set you're playing?

droid

Of course, theyve been doing it for about 50 years. Just use the snd/rtn on a mixer or desk, or in a traditional sound system you'd route it via the amps.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I've no idea how it works at all. You play a record and by fitting this into the system you can put echo on the tune you're playing and manipulate the echo too?

droid

Yeah, in a normal soundsystem the operator will have a couple of effects units running from the amp stack, usually a delay and reverb, often a siren of some kind. They take the signal from the mixer (or in Shaka's case directly from the turntable) and then add the effect to the output.

For general mixing, most decent DJ mixers have send/returns so you can send each channel out to effects and then back into the mixer on the same channel, though I would usually send the FX back into a line input for more control. I would typically use a Chaoss mini multi fx cos its very hands on and good for adding trailing echoes when mixing reggae, though I have an Empress EchoSystem hooked up at the moment.

Most mixers have FX built in nowadays, which are fine for most purposes and very easy to use.

sufi

lala

me sufi and edmundo just had the best night in boisdales canary wharf. bizarrely saxon soud were there they played dans top 100n all the way through.
yes indeed luka with his unerring nose for ... i dunno, anyway he delivered us to the excloosive members area of the fancy canary wharf cigars and caviars lounge for Saxon Studio last night 🤷‍♂️ charmed the bouncer smuggled us into the humidor then nodded off

luka

the bonjuncer hated us he wanted us dead. dunno if it was sufis pround to protect refugess t shirt or out general air of poverty even tho me and woops had made almost a grand between us that dat