RIP MARK STEWART

catalog

Just got back from seeing Iration Steppas at golden lion, where he was talking about shaka and now got back and heard Mark Stewart is gone.

I think I first got to dissensus cos of ms, following blog links off uncarved.

Very significant artist, I met him at Leeds Station once, when I was working the gate line, I let him through.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Not someone whose oeuvre I know too well, but I've got a Mark Stewart/Mafia album that I like a lot. Was all his stuff produced by Adrian S, do you know, @catalog?

jenks

thread death
Y was the album for me - just felt like nothing else. 1979 and he cracked the whole of punk/post punk open.

catalog

He had something to do with Adrian Sherwood I think. And my top album of his was the maffia one, with all the covers. A lot of his stuff didn't grab me tbh, but he had the right attitude

catalog

I saw him live at Royal Festival Hall when massive attack did their meltdown series. Daddy G plugging mic cables in, the show was with doug Wimbish and skip macdonald, just in thd hallway, not an official gig or anything. Think I went to see Martina toplry Bird but MS stole the show

catalog

Adrian Sherwood:
Mark Stewart used to go to Jah Shaka and tape it. It was all so distorted and he'd want to make his records sound like that, which I thought was brilliant. Mark Stewart is a genius, I love him to death. I thought at first he was taking the piss with his live Shaka tapes, but he wasn't, he was deadly serious. He wanted his records to sound like Shaka overloaded.
From that uncarved article by @john eden http://www.uncarved.org/music/maffia/maffia.html

catalog

Not listened to this yet but bound to be good cos it's on the wire

I had a load of tunes Mark span culled from mixes over the years. He was into desi music and had a couple of good Canadian remixes of bhangra tunes, this excellent btostep edit of Rihanna by chrispy

And there was also this one that had a good dj clue edit on it. Can't find anything else right now but I'm sure I also heard wondrous place via him

Will have to go thru old hard drives to find these mixes, can't see them on mixcloud

catalog

Got this on nod and it's good, but I'm fairly sure it's not all him, more like a mix by him with a few bits of him thrown in

william_kent

I was on holiday when he died

but a couple of favourites

Mark Stewart and the Maffia - Resistance of the Cell

I remember when I bought this LP and played it for the first time - I rushed to the turntable to check the needle for non-existent fluff, a revelation in how fucked up sound could be

]

Mark Stewart - Fatal Attraction ( Extended )

I Feel Smack extended mix

"you've got the needle and I've got the spoon"

( lyrics maybe dimly remembered from another Stewart tune, but my hazy association is this is his HIV confessional )

edit; while searching for the "needle" tune came across this radical rework of the Shaft theme:

Mark Stewart - These Things Happen

catalog

I think I got that maffia album at a car boot sale and thought wtf at first, with his off key crooning. Just so unexpected. But it grew and grew on me. Big bath album, caned it.

This was the one for me, I followed it back to ryuchi sakamoto and all that. Took me ages and ages to find the erik satie bits.

There's obviously a very clear direct line from ms to tricky, but also in my head, to hw and dB (fuck u Corpsey) , that off centre rework thing. Covering not covering. And thence to all the deconstructed blah blah stuff. Versioning.

luka

the great thing about this guy is he dont exist. mark k punk invented him. no one has heard his music cos hes not real