Positive discrimination/affirmative action etc in music

god HOR looks especially crngeworthy doesnt it - ive had mates on it and happy for the exposure and that but taking away the crowd and going for a closeup in a green bathroom? horrible stuff

wild greens

What i find frustrating about HOR and makes me question it a bit is that there are multiple sets where one of the audio channels disappears for minutes at a time & it keeps happening and is never corrected

Ofc as an ageing specimen i can say oh the ustream days were well better anyway

luka

third only knows about middle class white people clubs thats his whole experience so its a bit skewed

luka

in the real london world when have most london djs been white men? not really. only in third world

luka

he just lives in a very cosseted society. 90% of londons big djs have been black for as long as ive been alive.

luka

greens may well be right that people that go to student union nights started to want to see gays and that playing but in the normal world djs were never all white men. never in my whole life time.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
third comes from a very cosseted uni world. but who cares what student union nights do anyway. i dont think thats ever been the point of this forum.

If that's never been the point of this forum, then how comes you invented Kode Nine and Joe Muggs? This is gonna be your legacy. Not Prynn, not the pink temple, not Bobby Bisto and Entourage, but inventing Kode Nine and Joe Muggs.

You think he could crib his tips off ilx? You're havin a laugh!

ok, I mean, I shouldn't have gone to any dubstep nights or see Crazy Kousins or even gone to any jungle nights when I was a youngster. I should have decried absolutely all western music and become a Turkish music supremacist to give @Corpsey nightmares.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
from this

Luka wrote this on thread Rolling Dance Partisans 2010 (Also bobbin, bobbins, bobbins!) on board I Love Music on 02-Feb-2010
the list of alumni is far from comprehensive (geddit?!) so so many people went there.
Luka wrote this on thread Rolling Dance Partisans 2010 (Also bobbin, bobbins, bobbins!) on board I Love Music on 02-Feb-2010
im very very pleased my general obnoxiousness doesnt stop you from checking out my recommendations.
ossie doesnt sound like funky too me much either but he does get played on some funky sets, tarantula mostly, which is not one of my favourites. i like the r&b remixes, particularly the why dont we fall in love one. i like ossie baba a great deal and as mentioned above Ossie's remix of Sandra Nkake is superb. im fairly sure he went to st bons catholic school in forest gate which is the alma mater of about 70% of the grime scene and i think quite a few of the up and coming funky producers. dont quote me on that though...

to this:

Luka ModReq (DJ Mencap) wrote this on thread Rolling Metal Thread 2009 on board I Love Music on 11-Mar-2009
i hope the next cover is done by the penny arcade dudes
― WEREWOLF CONGRESS (GOTT PUNCH II HAWKWINDZ), Wednesday, March 11, 2009 5:13 PM (3 hours ago) Bookmark Suggest Ban Permalink
I like Nadja a bunch but this is basically the first thing I thought of when I saw the first pic the guy did, and not at all in a good way. I actually have the album on now and the MBV cover sounds exactly how you'd expect, which I'm OK with. It came in the post with the Karl Sanders solo album, which sounds quite intriuging if not really at all metal

Luka ModReq (DJ Mencap) wrote this on thread Things that are currently hip that we don't really like, but for no specific reason on board I Love Everything on 08-Mar-2009
Dara Danglemore caught my attention when she was wearing shorts one day and her extra-long trouser snake came out to greet me. I was in love with her dick at first sight. It's hard to believe a girl with such a sweet, innocent face would have such a lengthy, dangling serpent.
Luka ModReq (DJ Mencap) wrote this on thread Rolling Psych/Drone/Freak Thread 2009 on board I Love Music on 07-Mar-2009
re: Windy & Carl / Heavy Winged thing up there
you're really getting a CD to listen to with a hopefully rad-looking collectible LP you pay through the nose for and never play.)
― a passing spacecadet, Monday, January 19, 2009 12:39 PM (1 month ago) Bookmark Suggest Ban Permalink
^^^called it - I just put the LP on and it totally falls down as an 'experiment' due to the two bands sounding pretty much how they normally sound - HW completely obliterate W&C whose contribution is even quieter and more serene than normal. Also this is a one-sided LP but there are grooves on the other side, containing silence - weird. I have the CD on now and W&C are sounding pretty on top of their game so it's not a disaster or anything

You're like Skull Kid mk2!

maxi

greens may well be right that people that go to student union nights started to want to see gays and that playing but in the normal world djs were never all white men. never in my whole life time.
was thinking this too. like maybe in certain club scenes it's totally white but not most of the ones I've seen in London. take deep tech for example, the last london scene I was really into. Very mixed crowd and mostly black DJs.

the student nights are white cos most of the students are white. it's not a music scene issue is it

and sometimes it's just different interests. I went to a death metal show last year it was 95% white. is that cos of non-white people being made to feel unwelcome at gigs? maybe. or maybe there's just fewer non-white people interested in death metal in london

there's an unchallenged assumption that if there's any disparity in numbers of different groups it must be for some pernicious reason. maybe there is sometimes, but not all the time. if you went by that logic you'd have to assume there are fewer white people at amapiano nights because of institutional racism against whites lol. it's just different cultural interests sometimes.

the beautiful thing about stuff like jungle and garage is how much crossover there was, but sometimes scenes have less crossover appeal for whatever reason and that's not something to panic about and artificially rectify

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
there's an unchallenged assumption that if there's any disparity in numbers of different groups it must be for some pernicious reason. maybe there is sometimes, but not all the time. if you went by that logic you'd have to assume there are fewer white people at amapiano nights because of institutional racism against whites lol. it's just different cultural interests sometimes.

the beautiful thing about stuff like jungle and garage is how much crossover there was, but sometimes scenes have less crossover appeal for whatever reason and that's not something to panic about and artificially rectify

I guess this is directed at me so I'm obliged to respond, much as I couldn't really give a shit anymore, but I wasn't saying this. My overarching point was more that clubbing just isn't where it is at the moment. I don't expect a experimental techno crowd to be very mixed by default, and as you say artificially engineering the crowds will never work. But the fact that clubbing is passe, the fact that it lacks a magnetic pull these days, is worth thinking about. I mean dance music will basically be classic rock in the next 10 years tops.

I'm never panicked, I would wager that you would feel a bit uneasy at a night that is 99% non-white people. I like what I like and contrary to @luka 's bold assertion I've never been to a student union night in my life, though it is true that my interests in house and techno cleave towards the more weirder/experimental end of things. I tried with deep tech but aside from a few producers like Paul Robinson a lot of it just sounds like bassy tech house to me. and I'm just not into that (as an asian can you force me to like that?) ftr I think the standard mainstream berlin house/techno scene is equally as boring. I like things which are weird and twisted up and wonky. Which yes, I appreciate is a nitch interest, and living in a white country of course most of the crowds are gonna be white (which again, I have absolutely no issue with.) But promoters, scene participants yata yata yata can be lazy about this. Cos it's not like these are 'white' sounds inherently, they just get coded like this because of a kind of london territorialism which is already out of date. But it's true that this is a general trend in dance music to resort to the familiar and comfortable, and it would be churlish to make this a race issue. Still it is worth thinking about...

anyway, what I have an issue with is journalists defining and redefining the boundaries of what is authentic for xyz ethnicities and social class, with no regard to the way the parent scenes define them. Just as an example, someone on the deep tech thread said they took their mate to a deep tech night who is into Ron Moreli and Boilerroom so this kind of smulching together has an effect even on this forum. I never knew the majority of the boiler room crowd is into Bunker records and Unit Moebius.

It would be like me saying I took my friend to see Pangaea who is normally into DJ EZ and boiler room and he thought it was much better. It's an absurd claim to make and almost vindicates Muggs, which is why I said @luka invented him. By all means define your enemies, but know what they are!

This is why my enemy is music journalists. Get rid of the lot of them, including the ones that Luke and Benny like!

shakahislop

I think this HOR thing is a lot better than Boiler Room cos you don't have a load of bored hipsters trying to look as though they are having fun.
yeah its way better for exactly that reason. there's a reason the good clubs ban cameras on the dancefloor. it's weird that boiler room became such a big deal, i've never got it, its an awkward watch.