Italy

sufi

lala
The grand tour
They say whichever you visit first Venice or Firenze will be the love of your whole life

luka

also, if you go to italy beware, food is fucking awful. i just ate ice cream and drank wine. did have some nice ice cream tbf.

luka

funny things holidays. you learn a lot about the nature of consciousness and how it colours your experience. typically its only on the last day of your holiday you feel youre starting to get the hang of it.

shakahislop

the south still has a hint of where those old prejudices came from, of the undeveloped and backward southern europe. the dirt and squalor.

shakahislop

might be talking out my arse but italy feels like it never made a clean break with the past. spain, uk, germany all feel like at some point they snapped away from the early 20th century. italy feels like it was never deterritorialized to the same extent.

luka

i grew to quite like it tbh but it's an utterly different sensibility. an englishman can never truly respect it. he can respect a frenchman but he'll always look down on a spaniard or an italian as shaka says.

luka

it does feel like the true centre of europe though. partly becasue anywhere east of it is east and anywhere west of it is west, and partly becasue rome invented europe.

luka

i like the way they give you some stale crisps and some peanuts when you buy a drink. that's very grown up. sometimes they give you some stale bread too. they have a passion for stale bread. they somehow ensure it never tastes fresh no matter the time of day.

luka

their breakfast items are appalling. the french must recoil in horror when they see what passes for baking in italy.

luka

yesterday it was 39 degrees in bologna and i walked up to the church of san luca. the walk goes up a massive hill under the World's Largest Portico. none of you lot are physically robust enough to complete it, let alone in 39 degree heat.
'
The Sanctuary of the Madonna of San Luca is a basilica church in Bologna, northern Italy, sited atop a forested hill, Colle or Monte della Guardia, some 300 metres above the city plain, just south-west of the historical centre of the city.[1]

While a road now leads up to the sanctuary, it is also possible to reach it along a 3.8 km monumental roofed arcade (Portico di San Luca) consisting of 666 arches, which was built in 1674–1793.

luka

it was a real insight into catholics. the whole basilica is essentially an excresence formed around an icon. the icon itself no one knows where it came from or how it arrived there. no fucking clue. it's probably, imo, a kind of cheap souveiner from jerusalem bought back by some more or less pious tourist in the 13th century.