Italy

shakahislop

it's weird being a tourist. quite demeaning really. sometimes you'll be thinking, what's all this about? why have i bothered to insert myself into this other country? am i just supposed to look at things?
yeah it is. the worst is when you're in the tourist bit of wherever you are and all the jaded locals know exactly who you are and classify you along with the rest. you start to act the way that you're treated, fit into the box.

it's better when you know why you're there. being somewhere without an answer to the questions you're raising can be bit of a drag. for me 'seeing what it's like' is a good enough answer. and then if that's really what you're there for, then it changes where you go. the way i started to do it is to go to one side of the city and then walk straight across it to the other side. seeing how the place fits together, the different bits and neighborhoods. you can get to that tired euphoric stage coz of all the walking. its good for thinking and a good time to get into tunes as well.

shakahislop

i didn't do that in bologna though. i was with a couple of old friends, we walked around, talked about talking about the book one of them was writing about neoliberalism, talked about afghanistan, talked about our problems and feelings. we went to little restuarants, the advantage being that one of them is into that sort of thing and could be bothered to think about where to go. it's hard to get sustained time with people like that. waking up in the morning and having to chat for two hours in a cafe coz there's no excuse not to. then one of them collapsed in a restuarant, fainted, due to past trauma basically, and two weeks later covid came and we were all on lockdown

shakahislop

only two ways to get around this dilemma
1) Germans aren't in fact europeans, and neither are Scandis. which would prove @shakahislop 's point, but West Asia sounds wrong in every respect.
that's only coz of your eurocentricism. there's no reason to draw a line between asia and europe. where does it come from? it's a religious line essentially. the dividing point between christianity and islam. all the other continents are obviously continents as can be seen from a cursory glance at a map. 'europe' is a denial of reality. it's the edge of asia. but it got to make the rules.

martin

----
I went to Genoa yonks ago. Staglieno Cemetery’s amazing, made me actually want to die. The old town’s covered in political graffiti (ie circled As/crosses) (Genoa’s where the cops shot Carlo Giuliani in 2001) and you can touch each side of the street with your arms outstretched, it’s so narrow (with people still bombing past on scooters).

I had a night out there with a bunch of blokes from Fincantieri Shipyard, two of whom had spent their teens in London and never got over it: one had a Hammers tattoo and said that the UK was brilliant because Pizza Hut pisses all over authentic Italian pizza (true). I also bought a tub of Genoese pesto from a wrinkly old woman for about 3 Euros and flew it home, and it pissed over every other pesto I’ve had before or since. I feel like crying just remembering it. There was also a mod shop staffed by this insanely hot skin bird with a Chelsea cut, selling Oi! CDs, ‘SAMPDORIA BOOTBOYS’ scarves and a T-shirt of Snoopy in a bomber jacket and DMs (which I now wish I’d bought).

I also took a 5-hours-each-way train to Livorno, chain-smoking in the carriage with a nun.

It was alright, though I really should have brushed up on my Italian before I went. Genoa FC vs Sampdoria is (was?) the big football rivalry up there, but I couldn’t work out when/where they were playing. Regardless, they all seemed to hate southern Italians. It’s also weird because they spend 5-10pm eating and then open the bars around 10.30pm, and seem to make a half of lager last until 3am.

sufi

lala
I went to Genoa yonks ago. Staglieno Cemetery’s amazing, made me actually want to die. The old town’s covered in political graffiti (ie circled As/crosses) (Genoa’s where the cops shot Carlo Giuliani in 2001) and you can touch each side of the street with your arms outstretched, it’s so narrow (with people still bombing past on scooters).

I had a night out there with a bunch of blokes from Fincantieri Shipyard, two of whom had spent their teens in London and never got over it: one had a Hammers tattoo and said that the UK was brilliant because Pizza Hut pisses all over authentic Italian pizza (true). I also bought a tub of Genoese pesto from a wrinkly old woman for about 3 Euros and flew it home, and it pissed over every other pesto I’ve had before or since. I feel like crying just remembering it. There was also a mod shop staffed by this insanely hot skin bird with a Chelsea cut, selling Oi! CDs, ‘SAMPDORIA BOOTBOYS’ scarves and a T-shirt of Snoopy in a bomber jacket and DMs (which I now wish I’d bought).

I also took a 5-hours-each-way train to Livorno, chain-smoking in the carriage with a nun.

It was alright, though I really should have brushed up on my Italian before I went. Genoa FC vs Sampdoria is (was?) the big football rivalry up there, but I couldn’t work out when/where they were playing. Regardless, they all seemed to hate southern Italians. It’s also weird because they spend 5-10pm eating and then open the bars around 10.30pm, and seem to make a half of lager last until 3am.
I spent a night in Genoa in the 90's it was scary and grim, we parked up underneath the famous flyover (since collapsed with multiple fatalities) and all our stuff was robbed out of the car, then got the ferry to Sicily (since sunk with multiple fatalities) as soon as we could.

It was breakfast time and the dolphins we saw looked like they would be good on the grill

sufi

lala
I spent a night in Genoa in the 90's it was scary and grim, we parked up underneath the famous flyover (since collapsed with multiple fatalities) and all our stuff was robbed out of the car, then got the ferry to Sicily (since sunk with multiple fatalities) as soon as we could.

It was breakfast time and the dolphins we saw looked like they would be good on the grill
in fact it must have been 1990 year of the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_FIFA_World_Cup :oops:

sufi

lala
me and woebot did a couple of epic overland trips to Italy iin the 80's, alternating sleeping rough in piazza santa maria novella with loafing in fancy villas in the tuscan hills

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
that's only coz of your eurocentricism. there's no reason to draw a line between asia and europe. where does it come from? it's a religious line essentially. the dividing point between christianity and islam. all the other continents are obviously continents as can be seen from a cursory glance at a map. 'europe' is a denial of reality. it's the edge of asia. but it got to make the rules.

that's a common postcolonial academic perspective, but completely out of touch with reality. In fact Luka is closer to the mark. a Turk totally understands Italian and even Serbian mentality, but can never respect British and French mentality.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
you can even prove this musically. jungle is a london music cos london is asian, but English provincial music has more in common with wagnerian german trance. that's real england. Doncaster and the like.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
tbf it's all the shias fault, if we want to go back far enough. they should have just submitted to umawiyya I's centralising tendancies. no primitive anarchism kufa! Then we could have ground the crusaders into the dust and then from the gates of Israel to the river thames, the geography would be a single islamic state.

luka

they are in thrall to london the italians, and for good reason. when i came home there was an italian, late teens or early twenties, just saying, in reverential fashion 'london, london, london' as he walk down the gangways at gatwick

luka

tbf it's all the shias fault, if we want to go back far enough. they should have just submitted to umawiyya I's centralising tendancies. no primitive anarchism kufa! Then we could have ground the crusaders into the dust and then from the gates of Israel to the river thames, the geography would be a single islamic state.
the muslims never really had a chance in europe. too weedy physically. never going to overcome the burly germanics let alone the nords.

luka

that's a common postcolonial academic perspective, but completely out of touch with reality. In fact Luka is closer to the mark. a Turk totally understands Italian and even Serbian mentality, but can never respect British and French mentality.
yeah, this is interesting i agree. the religious line is important but there's massive aesthetic similiarites between eg turk and itie.

luka

maybe if you stayed catholic you could become part of West Asia. but Henry VIII was a cunt so.
i think splitting with the pope was the best thing england ever done. it's exactly why europe needs us. as i said in a drunken satori state, if england didnt exist europe would have to invent it.

luka

they are completely dependent on us. it's the distance we have from it that allows us space to think.

luka

on the other hand the english and irish people, the girls in particualr, have the worst most deformed posture. its so fucked up. shoulders inwards, hunched over, belly sticking out. what has been done to us?