tuning in

sufi

lala
both

at work I have a bad habit of tuning out, like one of the kids in peanuts / charlie brown / snoopy who just hears static when the adults ( i.e., management ) speak... a trope that was revisited in the Simpsons when all Homer hears is blah, blah, blah

but at home I can tune in, super focus, not that you would know it from anything I post on here

edit: tangenital biography - pre www I had a stolen RAF receiver that I would use to tune in to shortwave transmissions from the likes of William "behold a pale horse" Cooper and Kurt "the poor man's James Bond" Saxon.., I got real good at calibrating the dials...shortwave radio required exact tuning to avoid static
Ww1
Ww2

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i'm talking about the room of cosmic plumbing where the various valves are adjusted, where recalibration occurs
im talking about the trance of the crystal ball, learning to fill the skull with light
im talking about making the colours brighter
talking about expanding the bandwidth, so a smile becomes a possibility
talking about getting in contact with the instructors and receiving the downloads
all that sort of thing basically. what people mean when they say tune in.

the zone.
instantaneous awareness through radical cognisance. you have to let go, cyclical time, no beginning and end.

Some kind of droney resonation in the background. Leave it a bit muddy for the suspension of disbelief.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
This is going to sound Dadnet but the most tuned in was the birth of our kids. First two were easy yet you’re still beyond immersed because you can’t believe your collective luck, then two successive c-sections which tested nerves due to blood loss, screen up, complete carnage. Being human at the precipice of safety, seeing people pull deeper into a range of practices to adjust to rapidity devolving sets of problems. Awe. Sheer awe, guiding all these little humans into the cesspit of existence

You completely tune-in to the midwife bubble too, their craft and wisdom and realise you‘re entering a world surrounded in mirth. Don’t mean prenatal yawn classes, more the practitioners who must have witnessed hundreds of births and frontline. Their colour codes, banter routines and everyone answering to old school ward sisters. One had a seat/stool on wheels she’d patented herself and made a stack and still wanted to continue practicing, whizzing around blood transfusions like it was nothing Thank fuck none were in failing units. You see historical persecutions of midwives and think how highly counterintuitive it was to everyone involved. Surreal

Everyone could benefit from being at a birth, it’s a different experience altogether, just as everyone could benefit (long-term) from being at the deaths of loved ones because it’s an honour and no-one should die alone

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Night shift lunch, it’s dead

Mountains and woodlands are more day to day. If I don’t have to take the brood out and can push further into the Dales or up to Pennines country, both with mates but better alone, it pulls all your senses in. We don’t get coastal vistas but drive to any number of routes and the Dales have tons of tors, sweeter views than Glastonbury too. You have to tune in as your feet can’t afford to fuck up, you have to prep and weather watch in case a system of black skies rocks up

Mountains are visually expansive, woodland more of visual limiter but you pull your aural focus right in - range of bird calls present in and around your route, the breeze - so never subsequently found wood/forest horror tropes believable due to wood love crew. Alders, oaks, beeches especially, silver birches, none of the acidic lo-lite forestry commission plantation proliferations even if they serve a sustainable purpose. Lichens on glacial erratics are always engaging. The human urge to climb stuff kicks in. You look at trees and think yes of course that’s the branch route to the middle to look out from like a PhD in tree climbing

Water sources and the very British mix of tumbling mossy stones leading down and along tributaries. Seeing the state of water health if the fish are feeding., might have to do a R Lambert. This is why you are always best off not tagging anglers into the mix; they’ll try and angle every fuckin place along very different water courses with angling talk, the fuckers surrounded by em

The last two psilocybin trips taken were in woodland and elevated dale country. You don’t need a stone circle or god forbid a drumming circle at a stone circle, just a day and night and morning seeing sunrise up as a finale (not a Cafe Del Mar marketed cliche mode) and an extended grounded spraff, rather than a cue to start racking up behemoth lines of gear although the comedown from an extended coke binge is its own download apotheosis. When any and every cocaethylene godhead control session of metaphysics has been shattered and your eyes remain bloodshot for a week after. Same with the occasional extended drinking session. Your recovery can include moments of almost transcendent calm. You went too far, all systems rebooting, yet the signal is somehow clearer, muted yes to degrees from spiralling oblivion. Rarely enjoy a first coffee and cigarette as immensely or as nourishment as in these attuned/de tuned/down tuned miasmas

The eventual drive home from a mission out somewhere involving, it can be the built environment for many whatever your pleasure, you feel the shift. It’s already occurred, a subtle but profound subconscious shift. It might be one of the few elements Dissensus agrees on. Not just the physical exercise. You’ve absorbed microclimates and birds of prey, or cycled a city at dawn, tuned up is more accurate an expression

The Lincolnshire coast with uncompromising slate grey North Sea views you can push beyond to the Wash and up to Humberside, has masses of nature reserves with huge, mind bending fish-eye lens skies. Out past irrigated villages to the rhythm of waves breaking. getting as far away from populated locales as possible. Tufts of gorse and grassland ruffs rippling before you get to the open beach….and no-one’s there. Pebble and ground shale crunches under your boots. If you can’t tune-in/up like this I must be missing the point. Even HmmGuv had a moment staring out into the sea

Rivers are getting a bad deal pumped full of literal excrement let’s be honest, tick fucker numbers are up but you have to explore, lockdown surely gave everyone a nudge here for multiple reasons we don’t have to agree on

linebaugh

The only time Im 'tuned in' (not 'focused' but tuned in) is late at night. To awnser the question the only way I can occaisionally make this happen outside of chance is to get high at 7-8 oclock and then dovetail the comedown with the onset of that magical time of night that really only gets rolling after midnight but you can feel beginning around 11.

linebaugh

My feeling is youre tuned in not when your in a heightened state but when youre in that rare state of functioning as advertised. Your head receives thoughts that motivate appropriate action. You have emotional responses that are vivd with a logical and easily recognized object. I know Im tuned in when Im listening to music and I take on the emotional state of a song exactly

linebaugh

For me this cant happen during the day because the sun supercharges me in a way that stupefies. My whole existence is like coming across one of Richs massive, indentless text blocks that freeze your whole system instantly