Barbie

sufi

lala
who's gonna see it

can you comment meaningfully on this cultural monument if you haven't seen the movie? go on give it a try

is anyone gonna do the barbenheimer double?

sufi

lala
& I have a supplementary question as follows:

who here has dyed their hair or seriously contemplated it?

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Evident in Brum this morning

Firstly getting on the train = flashes of pink (someone in the background a work just said “are we gonna have a barby”, as in bbq), New St getting off the train slightly more, followed by more dots through town and back home

Your eyes can’t miss such a pinky pink now its visual cues are cast, no Klaus B gags when Tea prob has a raft lined up

It’s impressively cynical, takes branded content to new levels in how they are willing to kind of directly piss on the legacy and business at certain points and draw attention to contradictions. I read someone say it’s like Mattel exposing themselves to conceal in other ways. And it’s primed to trigger all the right responses to generate hype. And it’s quite funny in parts… plenty of easy jokes on sexism and gender though. But that’s also kind of baked into the concept , its dolls innit

It might be the norovirus that I’m getting over but i feel a queasiness from the style and that much irony

sus

I haven't seen it but my prediction is that it's actually a fairly reactionary text which checkboxes progressive causes as propitiation (propitiation both of Gerwig's self-image, and the Big Other which all our self-images are subservient to).

luka

it does look good, on a visual level judging from the trailers. they finally found a appropriate use for Goslings sex pack

linebaugh

I saw john waters Cry Baby the other day and thought thats probably the type of thing barbie is aiming for and how thats a noble aim for a big budget film and not one I can remember seeing in recent releases. But I imagine its going to be to cutesy and self aware about its quirk and choke the life of out of it rather than just letting it be

version

The main complaint I've seen is they couldn't seem to integrate the themes in a creative way and ended up having characters deliver monologues about patriarchy and being a woman.

version

They're going to run it into the ground like they do everything. Apparently Mattel have a ton of films lined up based on their products. This is the next thing after superheroes, like I said in 'Culture as Advertising'.

The latest development along these lines is people pumping out films about the products themselves: Tetris, Pop-Tarts, Flamin' Hot Cheetos, the BlackBerry phone and Nike coming up with 'Air Jordan'.