Ontological Shock

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Aliens confirmed
Hard to explain this without alien tech, tbh:

One time, I was jumping on my trampoline and slipped when I hit the ground. I seemingly went "through" the Trampoline. How and is this possible? Could this be an example of quantum tunneling?

mixed_biscuits

Quantum tunneling is not possible with large objects. This is because the probability of a large object tunneling through a barrier is very small. = "Quantum tunneling is not possible with large objects but it is"

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Probably not what?

Consciousness is the thing that collapses the wave function in the Copenhagen interpretation, which physicists came up with.
Two physicists came up with it, and it's been criticised by many others from the moment it was first proposed, about a century ago. Not least because there is no universally agreed definition of consciousness, which seems to be required in the definition of an 'observer', at either a qualitative level (this is conscious while that is not), nor a quantitative one (this is 167% more conscious than that).

Anyway, this has all the hallmarks of the start of a classic Biscuits wind-up, and I have a strong suspicion it's going to end in you "proving" that a freshly fertilized zygote is to some extent conscious (or something equally asinine), so I'm out of here.

mixed_biscuits

Two physicists came up with it, and it's been criticised by many others from the moment it was first proposed, about a century ago. Not least because there is no universally agreed definition of consciousness, which seems to be required in the definition of an 'observer', at either a qualitative level (this is conscious while that is not), nor a quantitative one (this is 167% more conscious than that).

Anyway, this has all the hallmarks of the start of a classic Biscuits wind-up, and I have a strong suspicion it's going to end in you "proving" that a freshly fertilized zygote is to some extent conscious (or something equally asinine), so I'm out of here.

The minimum consciousness is merely that required in observation, no (ie. just some basic awareness)?

The alternatives to that interpretation seem a bit cack and also somewhat underevidenced eg. multiverses, decoherence once things 'get complicated but somehow don't involve observation/consciousness somewhere'

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The minimum consciousness is merely that required in observation, no (ie. just some basic awareness)?

The alternatives to that interpretation seem a bit cack and also somewhat underevidenced eg. multiverses, decoherence once things 'get complicated but somehow don't involve observation/consciousness somewhere'
Well decoherence has a big advantage in that it depends only the concept of a quantum system interacting with its environment - perhaps the emission and absorption of a single photon, at a bare minimum - which is much easier to define objectively than something as nebulous as 'observation'.

mixed_biscuits

Well decoherence has a big advantage in that it depends only the concept of a quantum system interacting with its environment - perhaps the emission and absorption of a single photon, at a bare minimum - which is much easier to define objectively than something as nebulous as 'observation'.
But where is the evidence that it's ever happened without observation?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
But where is the evidence that it's ever happened without observation?
Well the contents of your fridge manifestly do not start diffracting through each other every time you close the door and then, through unspecified means, happen to coalesce back into the same objects the next time you open it and look inside.

mixed_biscuits

Well the contents of your fridge manifestly do not start diffracting through each other every time you close the door and then, through unspecified means, happen to coalesce back into the same objects the next time you open it and look inside.
Seriously, have you seen the state of my fridge?

mixed_biscuits