gremino

Moster Sirphine
There was no tangible shift from the late 90s to the early 00s, everything was just a glossier or more brutal continuation. Only later on could you distinguish the atmospheres and parameters that marked the noughties off from the 90s and the 2010s.
Late 90s early 00s were the Y2K era, the Playstation era. Thinking in terms of aesthetics and music, 2000s begun properly somewhere in 03/04.

I'd say that 2008 was still aughties, and it feels like the decade only ended in '12. This is again, based largely on aesthetics/music, but IMO after 2008 financial crash it took some time to settle down to new reality. I believe that in financial field there wasn't much investment going on for a while. Contrast that to one of the characteristics of 2010s, which was loose investment money for tech startups, giving birth for that decade's tech boom. Fashion-wise 90s revival was big in 2010s, and it was in full-swing in '16, whereas 2020s has seen the rise of YK2 revival.

gremino

Moster Sirphine
The marriage of tech and lifestyle.

By the end of the 00s smart phones and Facebook had really blown up. They came out closer to mid 00s, but they didn't take off right away. First iPhone in 2007 flopped.

Maxi just beat me as I was typing, but these are key developments. Everyone being online is when the serpent really started swallowing it's tail and widespread narcissism became normalized. Also marks the end of decade long eras having a vibe. Everything started to congeal and dematerialize.

Can only imagine a net/tech backlash getting us out of this.
Popularity of Old Web might be one of the backlashes. In old web there's no notifications, thus you're not constantly in, no constant holiday photos to envy and feel bad about your life, no FOMO, no constant feed burying what you're sharing or no algorithm to please, thus denying your true self. Using old web was also more intentional: you went to explore the web, see what's new on the forums or to download, whereas in current social media web it's easy to sink into mindless feed scrolling. Intentional tech usage is important.

It's ironic how we imagined future to be this cool place where we use cool futuristic tech gadgets enhancing our lives, but now when we're in the future, it's this. Technological progress, but not a good progress. Should we go back to go forward?

version

The twin ghosts of Savile and Epstein, the haunted bookends of the 2010s.

I've been watching clips of Savile recently due to The Reckoning putting him back on the radar. I don't think enough emphasis is placed on that particular wound re: the UK's recent trajectory.

He's been mentioned now and then due to some on the right looking to use him against Starmer, but he's something of a footnote when we talk about conspiracy theory and the "post-truth" era. You see much more about Trump and social media and austerity and Russia, maybe Blair and Iraq from those who aren't quite so mired in the present, and I think we've lost sight of how deeply damaging Savile was, and continues to be.

'Haunting' really is the word. You can't talk about the lack of trust in British institutions, particularly the BBC, without talking about him, and all of that feeds into Brexit, into COVID, into the appearance of GB News and TalkTV, into the cultural fixation on paedophilia, into the decline of the Royal family, and God knows what else.

mixed_biscuits

He's been mentioned now and then due to some on the right looking to use him against Starmer, but he's something of a footnote when we talk about conspiracy theory and the "post-truth" era. You see much more about Trump and social media and austerity and Russia, maybe Blair and Iraq from those who aren't quite so mired in the present, and I think we've lost sight of how deeply damaging Savile was, and continues to be.

'Haunting' really is the word. You can't talk about the lack of trust in British institutions, particularly the BBC, without talking about him, and all of that feeds into Brexit, into COVID, into the appearance of GB News and TalkTV, into the cultural fixation on paedophilia, into the decline of the Royal family, and God knows what else.
By all accounts, the BBC gets off pretty lightly in The Reckoning; didn't see that coming haha

craner

Beast of Burden
A report from the middle of the decade:

version

Another marker of the 2020s beginning in 2016 is that was the year the Bank of England began the switch from paper to polymer banknotes.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Another marker of the 2020s beginning in 2016 is that was the year the Bank of England began the switch from paper to polymer banknotes.
Heh, 'member people freaking out because they contained homeopathic amounts of animal products?

MemberBerry-PLATE-NAVY-DEFAULT-750x750.jpg

shakahislop

2010s were a rare period of anti-war sentiment in the west, both on the part of publics and politicians. iraq and afghanistan looming large. everyone was against getting involved. that seems to have ended comprehensively now, everyone's taking sides, out for blood

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
2010s were a rare period of anti-war sentiment in the west, both on the part of publics and politicians. iraq and afghanistan looming large. everyone was against getting involved. that seems to have ended comprehensively now, everyone's taking sides, out for blood
Personally I'm wondering how much credence there is to the notion that there are cycles of sorts here, that regional generations/populations who haven't experienced war (like most of US), but have unrealistic/romantic/academic perspectives about war and revolution, tend to feed/fuel the collective impulse toward war. All the more so if they're able to fuel on actual conflict just by militantly taking positions on social media, or even in protests, without putting themselves in any real danger (at least not compared to those actually involved in the war).

Anyway, just wondering if there is a social phenomenon similar to economic bubbles, but with pent-up angst and naive expectations of war/revolution being an outlet for that angst (again even if the consequences of war aren't felt by the terminally online western populations who engage primarily in a culture-signaling capacity).

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Sorta like that "strong men -> good times -> weak men -> bad times ->" meme, where easy times breed people who don't have a real sense of the consequentiality of their fueling the cultural dimensions of actual military conflicts.

version

There are a bunch of over-50s in England who talk as though they personally fought in WW2. The kind of people who were grilling Corbyn on whether he'd "push the button".

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
There are a bunch of over-50s in England who talk as though they personally fought in WW2. The kind of people who were grilling Corbyn on whether he'd "push the button".
Haha yeah exactly, and in the US I specifically have in mind the militant culture warriors, right wing and left, who contribute combative discourse to online platforms, ya know exercising free speech and whatnot, but I think it all helps drive actual conflicts. With the US/west and the various Arab states fueling the online information/culture war around all this stuff, its like the actual conflict ends up becoming a proxy for globalized culture wars (in addition to being an actual war with actual victims/stakeholders).

shakahislop

this happened last week but its the spirit of the 2010s to me. ten cameras recording the same event, which is only happening because the cameras will be there. things happening in real space for the sake of the online space