pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Climate change starting to give us a real-time taste of what's to come and visibly getting worse year by year

craner

Beast of Burden
2020 onwards also has kind of a distinct feel though and by the end of the decade the 2020s may seem like much more of a thing.

of course covid, work-from-home era and entrenched atomisation, gen Z on tik tok & onlyfans and their overall emergence and weirdness, corporate D&I, teeth reshaping, twitter as "X", death of clubbing, extreme heat waves, an end to the hope that was symbolised in the late 2010s by bernie sanders/corbyn/greta thunberg, a return to apathy in class politics

What will define the decade? Populism or the pandemic? That will set the date parameters, which also helps define the 2010s.

craner

Beast of Burden
That might be a shift between the 10s and the 20s, there is less apathy now, more anger and activism on the left and the right, the rise and rise of populist, anti-elite politics

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
The 2020s kind of are roaring

That's true, my apathy got the best of me for a moment.

To recalibrate, yes we are roused. Lots of movements and rage all around. But also a lot more division than I've ever seen in my life. People are losing the ability to communicate healthily. Pressure keeps building. Feels like something has to give. Not a wonderful prospect. Or maybe it just continues like this ad infinitum?

maxi

the rise and rise of populist, anti-elite politics
I see that more as a rise and fall though, now that biden and starmer are at the fore since 2020. who knows what will happen next though.

"threats posed by the pandemic saw a “technocratic” shift in political authority worldwide, with increased trust in government, and in experts such as scientists and civil servants. Yet faith in the democratic processes by which people elect their representatives has continued to falter."

wild greens

The roots of it are in the 2000s but i think the 10s were quite sonically futuristic, for all the talk of the death of things, juke and drill are both full of novel & genuinely underground stuff

To me thats what it sounds like. There were plenty of small marginal things too, but those are the dominating trends; drill has mainstreamed itself by the time covid turns up ofc and juke has codified, but worth noting

wild greens

Ubiquitous internet is the defining thing really, i oscillate between it being brilliant and awful most days. 2020s are all tiktok so far, 2010 probably insta and whatsapp really, as much as everyone rattles on about twitter it isn't actually that consequential

wild greens

US quasi-legalising weed is a big culturally significant one i think. Cliche would suggest it should tranquilise a nation but it's actually made it a lot more fraught from a distance. Purely coincidence I'm sure

maxi

streaming services replacing mp3 and cinema is a big one as well, though that's more a late 10s/20s thing. Works within the 2016-onwards-as-2020s thing

Reactions: sus

entertainment

It sort of lacks authority. Something pubescent about it. Nothing really maturing into a real belief in itself. A parade of disposable paradigms.

entertainment

Culturally I suppose everything must be seen as emergent strategies for dealling with the internet taking over the real world.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
The 2020s kind of are roaring

One thing we don't have, but could very much do with, compared to the last 20s is a riotous, invigorating culture explosion. An equal and opposite reaction to the exterior forces at play. This is the barometer for where we're at wrt the human spirit rn. The stuffing has been kicked out. Pop culture has been so heavily neutered, both by the hands of the 3 major labels that run everything and the majority of artists and producers who follow formulas purely to make money/gain fame. Stats fed, ego-based mentality thanks to the net. In music, whatever alternative/experimental/non-conformist was, has now been consumed by the mainstream aside from a few outliers like gabber and psytrance, but they're very lame and the former is most likely a flash in the pan anyway. This is what makes now so boring imo. Fruitless intensity. Skittish, fickle youth with no core beliefs. Loud and saying nothing. Adrift and at the whims of the corporate tides. No joy, just glazed eyes looking for the next 2 second rush. Never missing a beat to produce a perfect smile and portrayal of joy when the camera is pointed at them for their IG, though. All of the online stuff like social networks, apps, and virtual music genres etc, just totally lame. Disconnected. Overflowing petri dishes of delusion. Before all this, back when people's feet were a little closer to the ground and they knew how to actually be together (before awkwardness became a major cultural trope) there was always a healthy amount of subversion threaded throughout pop culture. A nudge and a wink. There were enough rebels within the ranks of the major film studios and record labels that you had dissidence slipping through the censorship nets all over the place. That's one thing I feel we lost somewhere toward the end of the 90s. That sense of honesty and humor about life and all it's fucking daftness. Maybe around the bling era? That collective sense, the for the people sense that there is a fight to be fought. And it doesn't have to be overtly political. It can be as simple as conveying 'let's ave it.' But somewhere along the way we got complacent and the rug was pulled from under us and we didn't even realize 'til it was too late.

craner

Beast of Burden
I see that more as a rise and fall though, now that biden and starmer are at the fore since 2020. who knows what will happen next though.

"threats posed by the pandemic saw a “technocratic” shift in political authority worldwide, with increased trust in government, and in experts such as scientists and civil servants. Yet faith in the democratic processes by which people elect their representatives has continued to falter."

Maybe 'populism' is a misleading shorthand. The Biden administration is also misleading, I think (and I wouldn't really say that Starmer is at the fore of anything or guarateed the kind of era-defining significance of New Labour).

For the 2020s I would say the defining, active mobilisations come from the fringes, the fringes invading, undermining, hollowing out of the mainstream and the centre. The question is, if this is the 2020s, what was the 2010s? Did it set the scene and establish the tools for the coming 'decade'? Was that it's purpose? Or was it something else?