Skibidee Toilet, the Backrooms and tiktok dreamcore

shakahislop

been gradually made aware of this stuff over the past month, and there must be more of them. had thought the tiktok dreamcore stuff was just a one off niche thing but someone showed me backrooms last night, I didn't understand the thread on here about it but in it's native tiktok format it made more sense.

these are micro-episodic (like 30 seconds) videos. they are pretty avant-garde in the sense of being striking new forms that haven't been done before and which mess with established ideas of how things should be done. they are zero budget and often generated by multiple people independent of, but presumably inspired by, one another. scenius feels like an applicable concept.

they are an offense to my tastes in a lot of ways but there's definitely something there. there is an affective level to them and stuff going on with narrative experimentation, a tendency towards implication rather than the literal. it feels like the arty or alt end of the reels/tiktok format, which normally feels like an endless mainstream.

sufi

lala
had a wee think about this,
firstly, i don't think that there is necessarily any scat/scatology connection,
you're asking about the aesthetic, and i can't really comment much about it - it's done on quite basic software, so it looks like a game, and i guess that connects it to the hoards of viewers who watch gamers, and i suppose maybe it's a similar experience but better, since it's not a gamer, it's a purpose made spectacle
so far so obvious

what's a bit notable about it to me is that there's no claim to it being anything other than made for viral views - @dafuqboom, modest kid, doesnt go on about how he's a great artist or coder, just throwing out ideas til he got lucky, and both the intention and the expectation are that this thing is honed for virality, rather than traditional qualities such as beautiful, nice or clever.
so this has almost evolved in the software using the human creator as a tool to facilitate it's creation and spread

it's a series and so it grips*, what will the cameramen get up to next, how will the tvmen respond to the latest toliet escalation, apparently the quality is improving, though the pace of new eps is maybe slowing,,,
*not me

The London episode

sufi

lala
It reminds me of those art films built in GTA I mentioned a while ago, also that James Ferraro thing done in Minecraft I posted the other day.

Roblox is amazing - it is the actual vr that facebook have failed to emulate

sufi

lala
had a wee think about this,
firstly, i don't think that there is necessarily any scat/scatology connection,
you're asking about the aesthetic, and i can't really comment much about it - it's done on quite basic software, so it looks like a game, and i guess that connects it to the hoards of viewers who watch gamers, and i suppose maybe it's a similar experience but better, since it's not a gamer, it's a purpose made spectacle
so far so obvious

what's a bit notable about it to me is that there's no claim to it being anything other than made for viral views - @dafuqboom, modest kid, doesnt go on about how he's a great artist or coder, just throwing out ideas til he got lucky, and both the intention and the expectation are that this thing is honed for virality, rather than traditional qualities such as beautiful, nice or clever.
so this has almost evolved in the software using the human creator as a tool to facilitate it's creation and spread

it's a series and so it grips*, what will the cameramen get up to next, how will the tvmen respond to the latest toliet escalation, apparently the quality is improving, though the pace of new eps is maybe slowing,,,
*not me

The London episode
backrooms as i understand it is like a subconscious zone? somewhere we all relate to that doesnt exactly exist?

& so in comparison, the skibideeverse must also be successfully addressing some collective subconscious, identifying the most potent memes thru the medium of virality, rather than mere individual choice? entertainment for the cyborg

wild greens

I think Roblox (and to a lesser extent, Minecraft) is key to the success of both of these really. There are endless variations on Backrooms levels in Roblox, ability to morph into Backrooms "monsters" etc.

Though nothing is official the same applies with the Skibidi stuff- loads of games where you can take on the skibidi boys as variations on Cameraman, Skibidi Killer chasing games etc

I think they've both took on a life of their own inside Roblox & though I can only go off my own lad's experience, this is much more the natural "habitat" of Backrooms now than the ethereal arty video versions that it's all developed from

The slapdash user-made games in Roblox are I think a lot more indicative of current trends than anything else as its the kids that are actually making them right. That's probably another discussion

Etc

shakahislop

there's something lacking coz its not actually good. but it is a branching out of the normal shortform internet video format into something that's closer to arty i think.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Wasn't 'Skibidee' (or something like that) a UK garage MC in a past geological epoch? I assume there's no connection.

shakahislop

changed my tune on this. it's all basically shit isn't it. just fundamentally not very good. the reels / tiktok era of cultural production that started in 2020 or whatever has produced some things that are slightly funny but it's produced nothing that's actually good. the worst of the screen artforms that's come along so far. even twitter is better.

sufi

lala