Jason Statham

version

Has there been a British actor in this mold before? The Seagal - Van Damme - Norris mold of the martial arts / action conveyor belt.

linebaugh

The Rock's bald too, although he doesn't have the same power to his baldness.
Hes not very handsome is he? And I think it has to be a white man aswell. The bald look just seems to work for darker skinned people, its much more common

version

The last Statham vehicle I saw was Hummingbird.

version

One of the things I find intriguing about him is he's a reasonably big star who manages to cheapen everything he's in. He's pure direct-to-video, even when he's doing big budget stuff.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Really impressive hes managed to have such a persistant career

I agree. For me the first time I saw him was in Lock, Stock etc in which although he was one of the lead group he was certainly supporting Nick Moran who was very much the main guy and, I guess, was the one that everyone thought would become a big star

50609681438_7c664bc469_b.jpg

For whatever reason though, I've hardly seen Moran in anything since. I'm not really sure why though, when you watch that film it's not massively obvious that the camera loved Statham more. Mean Streets (to pick one thing) was supposed to make Harvey Keitel huge but when people saw De Niro it was him who blew up, and I think most people can understand that - perhaps the Stath just got on better with people on set or something, could it be that do you think?

I really don't know what happened with Moran though, even the other guy (is he called Flemyng) has worked consistently since then albeit in fairly minor roles.

There was also Dexter Fletcher who (for the benefit of our US cousins) was already kinda known in the UK cos he was a child star in a kids' show about a newspaper called Press Gang (with Julia Sawalha who is most known now for Absolutely Fabulous).

MV5BMjFlZTg0ZWEtMGY5Mi00Nzc5LTkzYjgtOWIwMmYwNDQxNjAzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODY2Njk4ODk@._V1_.jpg

Whereas prior to that film Statham was most known for his oiled up 'dancing' around in that Shaman video in his smalls. I love showing that to girls who say he's super sexy, it turns out to be a massive erection-killer apparently which I rather enjoy. I don't know what it says about me that I get such pleasure from seeing people so disappointed... who am I kidding, I know what it says, that I'm a bit of a cunt... oh well, so be it.

As well as prancing around in his underwear he was also known for, er, prancing around in his undies in swimming pools of course

But overall, I kinda think fair play to him. He's managed to trade being a handsome guy with big muscles into becoming a huge Hollywood megastar.

IdleRich

IdleRich
And I think you're right with this bit @version

Has there been a British actor in this mold before? The Seagal - Van Damme - Norris mold of the martial arts / action conveyor belt.

There is a specific type of actor - I guess I'm thinking Swarzenegger as the archetype - who is such a freakish physical specimen that they are perfect for playing a certain kind of monosyllabic action hero. The Rock is the main example now I'd say, a huge lump of steroids who can read well enough to deliver the basic lines such a character requires and who will have a career as long as there is a market for watching increasingly over the top action films tied together with a minimum of dialogue.

In Arnie's case after a few years of beating people up and saying "I'll be back" he developed enough acting chops to make the transition from action films all the way to action-comedies.

But ultimately Arnie, The Rock, Van Damme etc are really not actors as such. They just play themselves every time and that's what they do. Also Jackie Chan and Jet Li, not quite the same, but basically they are dancers/fighters and whenever they are in a film it's cos of that.

In fairness, even if The Rock did put the work in and become a fantastic actor, his physical presence is such that noone is gonna cast him as a mild -mannered university professor or whatever so why should he bother?

But... Statham isn't so physically massive that he couldn't play a normal role but as far as I know he never does. I don't think I've ever heard him mentioned as a potential Bond for instance, why not? Obviously Bond is too cool to be bald but they could fix that.

version

The athlete to actor pipeline, although they're usually a certain kind of athlete - martial artists, bodybuilders, wrestlers. You don't get many footballers or tennis players making the move to Hollywood.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Vinnie Jones is the exception of course.
There are a few American Footballers - OJ and the guy out of Brooklyn 99 off the top of my head.
And yeah, if you count wrestling as a sport you got John Cena, The Rock, Dave Bautista and probably many others... I guess wrestlers are kinda actors already so it makes sense, the plot of Wrestlemania 83 was actually more complex than that of The Rock's latest movie.

version

But... Statham isn't so physically massive that he couldn't play a normal role but as far as I know he never does. I don't think I've ever heard him mentioned as a potential Bond for instance, why not? Obviously Bond is too cool to be bald but they could fix that.

Because he's working class and Bond's a character firmly embedded in the British upper class. That's why the Kingsman films exist. They're Bond films where the working class aren't shut out of being secret agents.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Because he's working class and Bond's a character firmly embedded in the British upper class. That's why the Kingsman films exist. They're Bond films where the working class aren't shut out of being secret agents.

That's probably the exact reason... but at the same time it's pretty sad cos what you said implies that The Stath is completely incapable of playing a posh English guy. I mean, is he an actor who is literally incapable of changing his accent at all?

English London/Essex accent (where is he from in fact?) to English posh accent isn't exactly a huge step is it?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Damn, he's from Derbyshire in fact. Looking at his Wikipedia page throws up a few gems...

Jason Statham (born 26 July 1967) is an English actor. He is known for portraying characters in various action-thriller films who are typically tough, hardboiled, gritty, or violent.

And

Statham's acting has been criticised for lacking depth and variety,

Not at all harsh, and very fair.

version

"He grew up with football player Vinnie Jones, alongside whom he would later act. Jones introduced him to football, and Statham went on to play for the local grammar school (1978–1983),"