Peter Hitchens update

version

"Monbiot made an unsuccessful attempt to carry out a citizen's arrest of John Bolton, a former US ambassador to the United Nations, when the latter attended the Hay Festival to give a talk on international relations in May 2008."

The most Guardian thing I've ever read.

version

Hitchens claiming the concept of addiction's a fantasy is worse than anything Monbiot's said, imo.

Benny Bunter

He says it doesn't exist at all and people just want to do drugs.
Well no he doesn't just say that to be fair to him. He says that you can't scientifically prove its presence in the human body, and no-one really agrees on the definition of what addiction actually is, so it might not be all that helpful to tell habitual users of whatever drug that they're addicted - people can and do stop.

version

Well no he doesn't just say that to be fair to him. He says that you can't scientifically prove its presence in the human body, and no-one really agrees on the definition of what addiction actually is, so it might not be all that helpful to tell habitual users of whatever drug that they're addicted - people can and do stop.

How does he explain how difficult it is for some to stop without conceding that addiction exists? Haven't people died going cold turkey?

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
He couldjn’t even differentiate between dependance and addiction(s)

I’ll listen to anyone about anything, apart from Mr Tea of course, except when people are so far out of their comfort zone they stick to aeons-disproved guff, ie he must know a few rabid alcoholics

Benny Bunter

What is addiction though exactly? I think it's mainly a language issue. You can be 'addicted' to all sorts of things that turn out to be just activities that you like doing but can be harmful if you do them too much - gambling, sex, videogames etc etc.

luka

He couldjn’t even differentiate between dependance and addiction(s)

I’ll listen to anyone about anything, apart from Mr Tea of course, except when people are so far out of their comfort zone they stick to aeons-disproved guff, ie he must know a few rabid alcoholics
his brother was a rabid alcoholic and fag man who died as a result of his compulsions.

version

What is addiction though exactly? I think it's mainly a language issue. You can be 'addicted' to all sorts of things that turn out to be just activities that you like doing but can be harmful if you do them too much - gambling, sex, videogames etc etc.

Right, but he talks specifically about drugs. How does he argue that heroin addiction is a fantasy when people have severe health issues when going without it?