Peter Hitchens update

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Because people can and do stop. I don't think he denies that it's hard.

you can stop with support, of course, problem is physiological dependence lurking int the background, destructive friendship groups, untreated trauma being the single largest reason for relapsing

treat the trauma and any overt need has left the building

version

Depends what you define 'addiction' as! :ROFLMAO:
bourdieu-jesus.gif

Benny Bunter

Addiction is social, in part. An alcoholic or crackhead suddenly stranded on an island would quickly reset
Yeah, I remember in some interview he gave the example of all the thousands of soldiers who'd been caning the smack in Vietnam returning to the US and just stopping - not all of them obviously, but the vast majority. There was some study done apparently.

version

He should take after his brother, get hooked on smack for TV then get off it again to prove it isn't addictive.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Was an addict for 12 years - heroin, alcohol, sex - the point is owning up to it it lest it take you down permanently and when you do reach out that your situation and care is taken seriously

Have worked in addiction services for nearly 20 years. Addiction is real: physiologically, psychologically, even psychically. Any addict has a sixth sense when it comes to scoring or what time the local offies close

Benny Bunter

If you left a crackhead alone on an island with a load of crack, I imagine they'd smoke it. It's more the lack of supply that would force the reset.
Still doesn't prove that addiction exists though does it?

Human weakness exists, I think we can all agree on that.