WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
you could witness it in music with sound system collectives

putting up a rig, after all the component parts set up who would/could play what and when and, lastly, who could arsed dismantling it all AND tidy up leaving a location as found

names emerge but through the course of an entire weekend a collective can rewrite any sense of authorship - back to back, one tune each, as couples in blocks - it’s metaphorically limitless

version

I've ragged on Lerner before and the story/essay itself isn't that great, but it's thrown up a couple of interesting things.

Firstly, the use of ChatGPT for the coda. Secondly, that there's now mention on Wikipedia of his actual edits campaign fictionalised in the piece.

I've looked into it and I believe his COI paid editing & Wikipedia manipulation was done for the Lannan Foundation, with key articles being Cobell v. Salazar, Dawes Act, Elouise P. Cobell (see its creation), and Leanne Hinton. Several of his accounts have already been banned by Checkuser, but given his use of many IPs and single-purpose and throwaway accounts, obviously, a lot of them would still be dormant and he could reactivate them at any time. (Inasmuch as he was paid to push his own ideology, he still has reason to do so even though the Lannan Foundation is winding itself down and he has a 'Distinguished Professor' job at Brooklyn College.) --Gwern (contribs) 23:07 23 November 2023 (GMT)

@sus

version

thats what i was saying about conspiracy theory. it's a collective fictional enterprise.

"A Canadian man who claimed forest fires were the result of a government conspiracy has pleaded guilty to lighting more than a dozen blazes during the country’s record-breaking wildfire season, as nearly 100 fires persist in drought-stricken regions."

mixed_biscuits

"A Canadian man who claimed forest fires were the result of a government conspiracy has pleaded guilty to lighting more than a dozen blazes during the country’s record-breaking wildfire season, as nearly 100 fires persist in drought-stricken regions."
But the government will keep him on as an employee.

sufi

lala
I've ragged on Lerner before and the story/essay itself isn't that great, but it's thrown up a couple of interesting things.

Firstly, the use of ChatGPT for the coda. Secondly, that there's now mention on Wikipedia of his actual edits campaign fictionalised in the piece.

@sus

sus

It's really something—an academic celebrity revealed to be nothing but a Wikipedia collage and slick branding—plus Ito/Epstein intrigues (Ackman having tacitly blackmailed Ito into keeping mum re: Neri...)

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I just knew of Oxman from that Netflix design series Abstract, which paints her as this visionary multidispilinary designer who can 3d-print fungi to make a tipi and such things.

version

It's really something—an academic celebrity revealed to be nothing but a Wikipedia collage and slick branding—plus Ito/Epstein intrigues (Ackman having tacitly blackmailed Ito into keeping mum re: Neri...)

Epstein himself is alleged to be some sort of patchwork as his lifestyle was apparently far in excess of his actual wealth. This lending itself to the theory he was some sort of intelligence asset and component in a larger network.

Reactions: sus

version

On a different tip, it's not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things, but I remember being a little disappointed to learn Ellroy hires researchers. It makes sense, but evidently I'd gotten invested in the idea of him singlehandedly pulling off these impressive literary feats and skulking round the archives. The mythology of the great artist.

sus

On a different tip, it's not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things, but I remember being a little disappointed to learn Ellroy hires researchers. It makes sense, but evidently I'd gotten invested in the idea of him singlehandedly pulling off these impressive literary feats and skulking round the archives. The mythology of the great artist.
It's true, and the same has been true of painters since the Renaissance. One-man bands are few & far between & usually the mark of the unsuccessful (i.e. those lacking the reputational and literal capital to assemble a fuckin squad, RIP)

sus

If you ever peek at the acknowledgment sections of serious works of research, it's nuts. I was just peeking at the acknowledgment on Shloss's To Dance in the Wake, on Lucia Joyce's life. Hundreds and hundreds of proper nouns strung together,