sus

Joyce hisself seemed to be mere center in a network full of nodes, soliciting contributions like a dictionary editor, friends and foreign correspondents wiring in fragments, references, translations, scraps of text

sus

I wonder if the same loose way Wittgenstein says you can't speak a private language, you can't build a private world—worlding is always the thing that gets made between people, an interpersonal and inter-relational space

version

It's true, and the same has been true of painters since the Renaissance. One-man bands are few & far between & usually the mark of the unsuccessful (i.e. those lacking the reputational and literal capital to assemble a fuckin squad, RIP)

I'd forgotten you made a big thread on this:

And Slothrop made a similar one back in the day:

Joyce hisself seemed to be mere center in a network full of nodes, soliciting contributions like a dictionary editor, friends and foreign correspondents wiring in fragments, references, translations, scraps of text

He's an extreme example of a universal process, I think. Like you say, truly one-man bands are incredibly rare, perhaps impossible, as nobody exists in a vacuum.

• Love
Reactions: sus

version

The total obliteration of authorship when it comes to memes is fun. They just emerge from the ether, nobody really lays claim to them beyond making vague gestures toward the 4chan spawning pits.

version

I assume at least someone on this board has seen the Ackman/Oxman drama.
bill-ackmans-wife-has-a-dedicated-reply-guy-v0-c8z6580qp8cc1.png

• Haha

sus

The total obliteration of authorship when it comes to memes is fun. They just emerge from the ether, nobody really lays claim to them beyond making vague gestures towards the 4chan spawning pits.
Yes but it's funny because bourgeois Instagram culture flips a bitch if you don't give author credit, they're still in the plagiarism mentality, they can't conceive of an ethos outside of capital (altho many/most of them identify as leftists)

version

Yes but it's funny because bourgeois Instagram culture flips a bitch if you don't give author credit, they're still in the plagiarism mentality, they can't conceive of an ethos outside of capital (altho many/most of them identify as leftists)

I remember that Asian-American journalist flipping out on some white woman for publishing a noodle cookbook and suddenly being hit with the realisation that a lot of people viewed the 'cultural appropriation' thing purely in terms of intellectual property. It wasn't really about respecting culture, it was about who gets to turn it into a product.

sus

I mean I wouldn't show up at anyone's funeral like the Westboro Baptist Psychos, I understand the concept of sacredness, but I prefer people who treat culture like playdough over those who treat it like scripture

version

mjhqtyfwt3fc1.jpeg

• Haha

version

Some Australian computer scientist claiming to be Nakamoto;

LONDON, Feb 5 (Reuters) - An Australian computer scientist's claim to be the inventor of bitcoin is "a brazen lie", lawyers representing a Jack Dorsey-backed group told a London court on Monday as a legal battle over ownership of the cryptocurrency began.

Craig Wright says he is the author of a 2008 white paper, the foundational text of bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies, published in the name "Satoshi Nakamoto".

... COPA's lawyer Jonathan Hough said his claim was "a brazen lie, an elaborate false narrative supported by forgery on an industrial scale".

Hough said that "there are elements of Dr Wright's conduct that stray into farce", citing his alleged use of ChatGPT to produce forgeries.

sus

I follow Len Sassaman's widow on Twitter, came across this very touching/interesting thread while back

sus

“You’ve made it illegal to reference previous material,” said Butler, also a managing director at music startup WholeWorldBand. “I’m never going to come up with something so radically different that it doesn’t contain references to something else.”