Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Actually can't think of many/any Spanish producers/DJs. There must be loads but you'd think they'd have a bigger footprint. I've googled 'Spanish DJs' and the only one I've heard of is John Talabot.

Hispanic music is absolutely huge ofc, yer Bad Bunnys et al

version

Actually can't think of many/any Spanish producers/DJs. There must be loads but you'd think they'd have a bigger footprint. I've googled 'Spanish DJs' and the only one I've heard of is John Talabot.

I think Roc from EVOL's Spanish.

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of film either tbh. Sometimes feels like Spanish cinema consists of nothing but Bunuel, Almodovar and Spirit of the Beehive. Their greatest export is probably their football.

Benny Bunter

To be fair to Spain, it was culturally stunted for decades by the Franco regime.

This is sadly true. Been getting pretty deep into Spanish poetry over the last few months, and I'd argue that in the 1920s/30s, up until the civil war, Spain had the highest concentration of major poets in probably all of Europe with the Generation of '27 - Jorge Guillén, Pedro Salinas, Lorca, Cernuda, Aleixandre, Alberti all producing amazing work, a perfect mix of the avant garde with tradition, going off in all directions, but they nearly all ended up in exile from the Franco regime and Lorca was murdered in his prime of course. So much potential snuffed out, so much energy dissipated.
Not much of it translates very well though so I guess you'll just have to take my word for it.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

Every time I've been to any part of Spain, the pop music I've heard being played in shops, bars or whatever has been absolutely execrable. The cheesiest, naffest dance beats married to histrionic power-ballad vocals. Just dreadful on every level.

mixed_biscuits

This is sadly true. Been getting pretty deep into Spanish poetry over the last few months, and I'd argue that in the 1920s/30s, up until the civil war, Spain had the highest concentration of major poets in probably all of Europe with the Generation of '27 - Jorge Guillén, Pedro Salinas, Lorca, Cernuda, Aleixandre, Alberti all producing amazing work, a perfect mix of the avant garde with tradition, going off in all directions, but they nearly all ended up in exile from the Franco regime and Lorca was murdered in his prime of course. So much potential snuffed out, so much energy dissipated.
Not much of it translates very well though so I guess you'll just have to take my word for it.
There's nothing stopping them from learning Spanish and reading this stuff in the original. Most Spanish words are exactly the same as in English, apart from bigote which means moustache. If you call out all the bigotes at a Freddy Mercury tribute night you might not get the reaction you want.

sus

@Benny B where do you recommend in Andalucia/Spain broadly? Finally visiting and maybe scoping out as a place to live. Checks a lot of boxes—warm weather, Spanish speaking, affordable, beautiful.

Benny Bunter

I only really know Andalucia really well. Wouldn't live anywhere else apart from Sevilla, Granada and (the most beautiful and romantic imo) Cádiz. If you can drive you should hire a car to get to all the nice beaches and pueblos cos most of the best ones are a pain in the arse to get to, I just tend to go the Sierra Norte de Sevilla cos I don't drive and it's closest to where i live.

Unless you're lucky enough to have a nice place to stay near the beach, I wouldn't recommend coming in July and August cos the heat's unbearable during the day and you can't really go out.

I spent a week in Galicia- La Coruña, Santiago - a few years ago and loved that, need to explore northern Spain more. Not arsed about Madrid or Barcelona unless it's a short sightseeing thing.

Benny Bunter

People have ideas about what Spain is like, but it's a really big country and the north is absolutely nothing like the south, for example, or even the central part. They might as well be different countries if it wasn't for the language.

I really liked Galicia cos it reminded me of Britain.

Benny Bunter

Forget to mention Córdoba, very beautiful, but too many tourists like most of these places. Cadiz is the best though cos of the sea and it's a bit more out of the way and less spoiled.
Avoid Málaga, Huelva and Jerez (historically interesting for flamenco but a bit of a dump otherwise) Tourism has fucked a lot of these places so you'd best get a car and tour around.

sus

I only really know Andalucia really well. Wouldn't live anywhere else apart from Sevilla, Granada and (the most beautiful and romantic imo) Cádiz. If you can drive you should hire a car to get to all the nice beaches and pueblos cos most of the best ones are a pain in the arse to get to, I just tend to go the Sierra Norte de Sevilla cos I don't drive and it's closest to where i live.

Unless you're lucky enough to have a nice place to stay near the beach, I wouldn't recommend coming in July and August cos the heat's unbearable during the day and you can't really go out.

I spent a week in Galicia- La Coruña, Santiago - a few years ago and loved that, need to explore northern Spain more. Not arsed about Madrid or Barcelona unless it's a short sightseeing thing.
I hear the microclimates are crazy. Like even within the same village some houses can be unbearably hot and some very cool and breezy. That you really have to understand your locations local climate

Benny Bunter

This summer gone I made the mistake of going on holiday to a pueblo without checking that the house had aircon first - a week of sleepless nights.

• Wow
Reactions: sus

mixed_biscuits

Of all the places I've visited in Spain, Valencia is the best: every surface festooned with street art, zoos without fences, and a science park with buildings out of Star Wars (great for Mr Tea when he visits). Second and third place also Valencia. Also last place.